“The most relaxing time we've had in years!”
Review of Whistling Swan Inn

Whistling Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Stanhope B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 12, 2008

My partner and I stayed in the High Point Suite for 2 nights to celebrate my birthday. It was truly the most relaxed we've been in years.
I've only stayed in a few B&Bs, so I'm still getting used to the differences between hotels and B&Bs.
The High Point Suite has a quirky set up but is truly cozy and romantic. We thoroughly enjoyed the tub and the fireplace. The bed was super comfy and the ceiling in the bedroom was so beautiful to look at. The steam shower was an added plus!
Since it's a bit into the off season, there were very few guests there and we got to peek into most of the other rooms. All quaint, all beautiful. We've already decided we'll be trying the Walnut Valley Suite next time!
True - the old fashioned skeleton key for our room was a bit difficult to use. I think maybe the lock in the door might be a little loose. However, there is a certain charm that goes along with using a skeleton key!
Breakfasts were super yummy. One morning we had some sort of caramel french toast casserole (I know that's not the right name, Liz! Sorry!) which was beyond delicious. The next morning we had a broccoli and cheese quiche. Very tasty, very cheesey! The cookie jar always had nummy chocolate chip cookies to munch on and the fridge downstairs was always stocked with soda and water. Easy access to the computer made deciding where to go for dinner a snap. We went to Barone's (truly fine food!) and Black Forest Inn (great seafood buffet). Barone's had fantastic desserts - a must "take back to the room" to eat after soaking in the huge tub!
Overall, we had a very enjoyable stay at this Inn and are looking forward to going back again sometime this winter.
Thanks, Liz and Bill! Terrific job on all you do to make your guests comfy and cozy.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Whistling Swan Inn

Reviewed September 26, 2008

It was the first time my wife and I ever stayed at a B&B and I think the Whistling Swan has ruined it for the next place. It will be hard to beat the lovely rooms and warm welcome we received. It was my wife's birthday and the inn keepers were thoughtful. The area around the inn is rural, historic and beautiful. It will be hard to top this one!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We recently stayed at the Whistling Swan Inn, Stanhope. We were on a bicycle trip from High Point, NJ to Cape May and selected the inn becuase of it's location on our route. We pulled in after traveling 15 miles in torrential rain and were warmly greeted by the innkeeper! She made us feel so welcome and she accomodated us and our bicycles and wet supplies. The sherry hit the spot. The room was beautiful and the inn was very clean and well kept. We had all of the comforts of home and can not say enough good things about this inn. This was the first B&B that we stayed at on our 8 day trip and we didn't realize how good we had it. Thanks Liz and Bill - you're the best.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2008

We needed to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and burdens and sought a stress-free environment. Well we found it here. It's a nice place to renew any relationship free from distraction. The room we stayed in had a Jacuzzi, fireplace and TWO bathrooms. The proprietor,Liz, couldn't be any more accomodating. Nearby Bell's Mansion,a little pricey, but a warm ambience was worth checking out.
The furnishings at the WSI are homey and the morning breakfast was more than adequate. It was a bit expensive for a one night stay, but we accomplished what we set out to do and that was RELAX and enjoy each other.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank stuorange
Reviewed January 25, 2008

We spent a weekend with Liz and Bill at the Whistling Swann. The room was very nice and clean. Liz pointed out the key to the room when we checked in. When we left the room to go out for a while, we tried to lock the room with the key. These are very old locks and the locking mechanism was missing. When we reported it to the housekeeping help (we didn't get her name) she pointed out to us that the locking mechanism was missing. When we pointed it out to Bill (or was it Liz) they didn't seemed concerned. We are not in the habit of leaving valuables in the room anyway, but this didn't seem right. Bill did come immediately when we told him the water kept running in the toilet.

Breakfast was good and plentiful for the most part. However, how can you run out of coffee at breakfast? Also, in spite of the warming trays, the hot items were never hot.

One word of advice to Bill. Not everyone is interested in your personal problems with your ex-wife and daughter. We all have problems of our own and we don't leave home to hear about someone else's.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank iluvtrvl
Reviewed June 13, 2007

I stayed for one night at the Whistling Swan Inn for business travel. It is located in a quiet neighborhood in a residential area. I normally stay at hotel chains like Marriott or Sheraton and this was a wonderful change. The Inn is a charming Victorian home with uniquely decorated rooms. I stayed in the Walnut Valley Suite and it was beautiful; complete with a large whirlpool tub at one of the room, his and her separate washrooms, and a sitting area with gas fireplace. The 4 poster bed was very comfortable. The photographs on the website do not illustrate how romantic and quaint the rooms are in reality. While I very much enjoyed my room, any of them would have been suitable for my stay. The price was extremely reasonable, and they offer a discounted price for weekdays. The breakfast selection was limited and served buffet style, but it was enjoyable and more than adequate.

Within walking distance is a very good restaurant, Bell’s Mansion, and I enjoyed a lovely dinner out on the patio.

I will stay at the Whistling Swan again and would recommend it for a change from the regular business travel, as well as a getaway for personal enjoyment.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank AngelinaBlair
Reviewed April 10, 2007

I booked the hotel through their website. As the date was nearing, I realized that I never rec'd a confirmation letter. I made a phone call, and I discovered that we were not sent a confirmation letter but should have been, but we were upgraded to the Stillwater mini suite since our room was not available. Upon arrival we were greeted by Terry(?), since An was away. She gave us a nice tour of the place, it is a real gem.
She took us to our room and we were amazed on it's beauty, I'll attach two photos of the room and one common area. The room was very clean. I spent a lot of time roaming the inn(at lot of interesting things to view), and took dozens of photos. We had a very restful night, the bed was comfortable and the inn was quiet. The only reason why I am giving this inn a 4 vs. 5 was breakfast. We came down 30 minutes after breakfast started and found no silverware and very little food, Terry was not in sight. We had to use the phone to call her. A few minutes later she showed up, and made things right.
We have stayed out two other inns in the area , and this is by far the best.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shelley1967
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanhope
Residence Inn Mt. Olive at International Trade Center
#4 of 4 in Budd Lake
Extended Stay America - Mt. Olive - Budd Lake
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Arlington-Rockaway Area
Alpine Haus Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Whistling Swan Inn? Share your experiences!