Whistling Swan Inn
Hotels.com
$70
$79
QualityInn
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington(Mount Arlington)
$139
$93
Holiday Motel(Andover)
$68
All reviewshigh pointvalley suitebed breakfastsgift certificatejacuzzi tubnew jerseybreakfast was deliciousthird floorwrap around porchr rother gueststhought of everythingcomforts of homeanniversary weekendthoroughly enjoyed our staygreat cookspent two nights
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed here for a one night getaway for our anniversary. Had no idea where Stanhope was located, but it wasn't far from home, and the inn looked beautiful on-line. Upon driving down the street, I got a bit nervous since it's located on a modest residential street amongst ordinary homes. However, the inn stands out from the neighborhood as a gracious and beautiful victorian throwback with lovely grounds and a spectacular front porch. It only got better upon entering the inn. The main floor has a few sitting areas, one with coffee, tea, snacks, sodas, etc. available all day, and the other room has a piano and old fashioned phonograph, which was really cool. Our room, the Walnut Valley Suite, was located on the second floor in the back. Not only did we have the great 2 person jacuzzi in the room, but this suite had 2 full bathrooms, a sitting area, a fireplace, and a comfy king bed. It was clean and charming. Breakfast was very nice. On our morning, breakfast included home-smoked canadian bacon, lemon pancakes, a pecan coffee cake, and a vegetable quiche. Since I have some dietary restrictions, the innkeeper brought me a potato crusted quiche that was leftover from the day before. All was delicious. There are a few unique and fun restaurants nearby the inn (we ate at Bells Mansion and Salt, both great finds). We hope to return to the Whistling Swan again before too long.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BOSNJtraveler
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My girlfriend and I have stayed in several east coast B and Bs and Inns and most had either the rooms, the food or the location that I enjoyed. In the case of the Whistling Swan Inn, I enjoyed all three. We booked the Stillwater Mini Suite which was well decorated and maintained. Taller guests should be aware that this is a top floor room with two slanted walls which make one side of the very comfortable king size bed a little difficult to access. We had a chance to see some other rooms and were very impressed with the furnishing and cleanliness. I prefer the suites which all seem to equipped with Jacuzzi tubs. I've already decided to book the Walnut Suite, if it is available, the next time I visit.

The attractions in the area that interested us were the State Parks withing minutes of Stanhope, New Jersey and the Delaware Water Gap National recreation area about 30 minute away.
We spent three days driving, hiking, picnicking and painting in several beautiful mountain settings.

Room Tip: Book a suite if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at the Whispering Swan for a nearby wedding. Rosalind was a very gracious host and our room was great- pretty without being fussy, very clean and most importantly, a really comfortable bed. Breakfast was on the large porch and it was delicious, especially the pumpkin French toast. I would highly recommend a stay here, it was delightful .

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ellenLeverett
Reviewed June 23, 2014

While visiting my family in N.J. I always stay at the Whistling Swan, because there is no better place to stay! The Innkeepers are wonderful and accommodating. The building and rooms are well kept, clean and beautiful. The breakfast and snacks are excellent, eating on the front porch is a bonus in the warm weather. Peaceful, quiet and superb is the Whistling Swan. I will be back for yet another visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2014

As a beginner to bed and breakfasts, I am grateful to have stayed at the Whistling Swan first, so I know how high to raise the standards for all of my future stays at other facilities! Honestly though, I could not have asked for a more comfortable and pleasant experience than what my boyfriend and I were treated to this weekend. Ros and Tom were continuously helpful, friendly and overall hospitable in every way imaginable. The breakfasts were easily the most exciting part of the day. There are also complimentary snacks available at all hours of the day. One can't seem to know how good a cookie and a coffee are in the afternoon until you're sitting in a plush red chair enjoying it here! The location is fantastic, with activities for all interests present throughout the area. Those looking to venture outside the area into New York City for an evening can park at the local Mount Arlington station and take the train in. We brought our boat for some weekend lake time and were pleasantly surprised to find so many lakes other than Lake Hopatcong in the area. If you're staying in for the night, there's movies, books, and boardgames galore. Our room was comfortable and immaculately clean. Overall I have not one negative comment about my experience at this B+B, and hope others reading will consider this location if staying in the area. The only recovery I now have to painstakingly undergo is the return to milk and cereal tomorrow morning...

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are much larger with more living space overall (ie. families of four could hang out there comfortably). Rooms on the third floor are smaller overall, but still comfortable for two. Each has it's own bathroom regardless of room size.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hanban1
47Ros, Owner at Whistling Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm so glad you both had fun discovering the many lakes tucked into this little corner of paradise. I'll look forward to seeing you again.