“AVOID THE CHATEAU INN & SUITES!!”

Chateau Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Jersey City, NJ
“AVOID THE CHATEAU INN & SUITES!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2007

I cannot even begin to tell how disappointed I am with the Chateau.

I called on a Friday morning to make reservations for a one-night stay the following Saturday night. The gentleman that I spoke with said that they were hoping to have a two-night stay (Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday) booked rather than a one-night.

"Call back tonight and we'll know by then whether or not we can just book you for one night," he said. "Okay," I said. "No problem."

I called back at around 8:00 p.m. and explained to the young lady who answered the phone that I was wanting a room for the next night.

"Well, can you call back tomorrow morning at around 9 or 10? We'd like to book this for a two-night stay." I explained that I had called earlier and that I had been instructed to call back at this time for a definitive answer.

"Not sure why he told you that. But if you can call back tomorrow morning, we'll know for sure," she replied.

The next morning I called back at 9:00. The same gentleman I spoke with the day before answered.

"Yes, I was told to call back this morning to book a room for this evening," I explained.

"Yeah, we're trying to book this for a two-night stay," he replied.

"I was told by you yesterday that I needed to call back in the evening, which I did. I was THEN told to call back this morning, which I'm doing now. Can you give me an answer now?"

"No, sir," he said. "We're hoping to book this for a two-night stay. We should know if you call us back later on..."

"Listen," i replied. "I understand about wanting to book for two nights. That's the norm. What I don't understand is why I have called you three times and have received three different answers as to when you'll have a definite answer. I think I'm going to take by business elsewhere."

"Yes, sir. Thank you for calling."

If this is how the Chateau is used to treating their customers, I don't understand how they have gotten to be so popular. They not only lost someone for that night, but I will never again attempt to book a room there. This was not a three-day weekend; I don't understand why they thought someone would call in the middle of the day Saturday to book a room for Saturday and Sunday night.

Bottomline: if you're looking for a great Bed & Breakfast in Spring Lake, look elsewhere. I highly suggest the White Lilac Inn, who was happy to take my reservation (and the stay was absolutely delightful).

• Disliked — The customer service is pathetic.
  • Stayed March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
12 Thank sapridyne
chateauinn, General Manager at Chateau Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 11, 2007
I can understand your frustration in trying to find a one night stay in Spring Lake. This room had become available from a last minute two night cancellation in which the guests said they may come if the room was not re-rented by Saturday. I planned on calling the guests on Saturday to inform them that the room had not been rented yet for their two night reservation and that they would risk losing their one night deposit. As it turns out the guests did come for their two night stay after all.
It is Chateau policy that when a guest does have to cancel, we do everything possible to rerent the room for all nights reserved as we understand that their deposit is at stake.
Our staff typically will not tell people to call back to check if a room will become available as we have a waitlist for accommodations.
I would love the opportunity to have you stay with us in the future as it would certainly be worth the wait.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2006

Room was okay, but I didn't get a "Welcome" when we checked in, nor a "thank you" when we left from the front desk!

We were able to tour 11 other Inns in Spring Lake during our stay and all the others were MUCH FRIENDLIER!!! Especially Evergreen Inn and White Lilac Inn, they seem awesome!!

Also the Chateau Inn has a nice "hot chocolate and fireplace" area, but they closed it earlier than advertised.

Spring Lake is a neat area... but when we go back we'll definitely stay at a different Inn.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Next_Getaway
ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2006

Very nice and relaxing. Our room was right next to a gazebo.
The gazebo was very pretty. It was a great place for reading, resting and chatting. also using your laptop. I can,t walt to go
again. The lourge has great cookies and lemonade. I think
they need to update the kid's movie library.

jl, age 7

• Stayed August 2006
4 Thank jbo12345
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2006

First of all this was a three day two night getaway for my wife and me so we were looking for peace and quiet which is what the inn offers.

I do not think this is a place for children as there is no pool etc, however we really were not looking for that.

The rooms are quaint (read small) but very nice, the only negative point I could say is that the water pressure was terrible but that is what you get with a small quaint inn.

They give free beach passes while you are there and you can even keep them on the day you are leaving.

We did not do the breakfast as it is not really worth the $5.95.

Spring Lake is very quiet, nice to walk around (or ride on the bikes that are available). If you are looking for fun and more action you can either go up to Belmont or down to Point Pleasant and go on Jenkins Boardwalk where they have amusements etc. (drive around first otherwise you will park in the wrong area).

Overall, I would highly recommend the inn but not for children. We would definitely go again for a summer get away.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank GoldyNJ
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2006

Stayed here for 4th of July week with 4 adults and 2 small children. The hotel is very pretty and quaint. Our room was a good size; 2 queen beds, wet bar and refrigerator, desk & chair, bathroom. Our relatives got a much smaller room with just a bed, a dresser and tiny bathroom; they weren't very happy with it. Everything was clean and neat but the tub in the bathroom was old and had a huge dark spot in the bottom (a big chip in the porcelain?) and they tried to cover it up with a plastic bathmat. Water pressure was terrible. The lobby and parlor are beautiful and they offer continental breakfast everyday for a small charge; cereal boxes, bagels and assorted Entenmann's pastries. That gets old quick. There is NO pool, and no spa. I'm not sure why they advertise spa treatments on their website when there is no spa onsite at all. The front desk told us that we could use a nearby pool at the Atlantic Fitness Club but when we asked for passes on 4th of July, they said the pool was closing early and that they were restricting outside visitors. I'm assuming this is where the spa is as well. There is nothing to do at the hotel except for rent old bicycles for the day or sit in the lobby and watch TV. Spring Lake turns into a ghost town after dark and there is nothing going on. We started running out of things to do on the 2nd night. The nearby towns (Belmar, Avon By the Sea) have a little more action; boardwalk, restaurants open late, ice cream shops, etc. All in all the hotel is very nice but this will probably be our first and last stay here. We spent roughly $230 per night with a minimum of 4 nights due to the holiday and we expected a lot more for that price. There was just not enough to do besides go to the beach everyday and be in bed by 9pm.

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank Domonique
Convent Station, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2006

Each time we come to the chateau, it just gets better, and better. Now, we have been coming here for 15 years and experienced nothing but perfection. We usually get room a luxury suite. I love the plasma tv, wet bar, soaking tub, fireplace, and much more. Usually we travel with the whole family. When we are down in the summer, in July we stay for about 2 weeks. Scott and Rob(managers) deserve an A+ for keeping the place in such great condition. The only thing that could be improved is the amount of parking spaces. For travellers of all ages, we would definetly reccommend the Chateau.

Stayed July 2005
4 Thank LoveVacationing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2006

While we were only there one night we enjoyed our stay very much and wish we could have taken advantage of the many amenitiies like the free bicycles. Appreciated the plasma screen tv and the many outdoor seating areas. great continental breakfast! Rooms were not huge but the suite was perfect for the 3 of us, and my daughter was thrilled to have a separate room in the suite.

4 Thank travellinghopefully
#5 of 6 in Spring Lake
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Chateau Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!