“Nice, but not worth the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau Inn & Suites

Chateau Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Washington, DC
“Nice, but not worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

I spent two nights at the Chateau Inn and suites with my mother. I booked the room on a special rate of $169 for a double room mid-week in spring. The confirmation email had confusing language, and I had to reconfirm that they were not charging me for 2 rooms for 2 nights, which is the way they put it in the email.

In retrospect, I would never have prepaid the room, and regretted that I had. They charged my mastercard a completely arbitrary amount, and when I checked in I had to help the front desk girl with her calculator because that is the way they figured out the bill. Make sure you TRIPLE check that they are not overcharging you.

Our initial impression of the room was positive. We had very unfortunate weather the two days/nights we were there, so were unable to really enjoy the beach setting. The room was very darkly furnished and heavy-curtained, with glass sliding doors on the ground level, so we basically were living in complete darkness for the time we spent in the room. The bathroom and amenities were nice, and there was a fully equipped kitchen.

Probably my biggest complaint is that the train station is half a block away and LOUD. I was awoken both nights multiple times by the train.

Sticker shock still struck when we checked out and with the yogurt (Dannon Light, 69 cents at your local Safeway) and tea we had added up into our bill and the 15% NJ tax brought our "bargain rate" to more than $400 for two nights.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank Caligirl74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

We were looking to spend a long weekend in Spring Lake. We usually like nicer hotels so the options are very slim in Spring Lake. We were very pleasantly surprised when we pulled up to the hotel. It's charming and well maintained. Check-in was a breeze and when we got to the room, we were again pleasantly surprised. It was relatively modern and you could tell they had recently renovated them. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious. The only thing we could have used was a microwave.

My biggest concern when deciding between Chateau and the other hotels was the distance from the beach relative to the other hotels. This did not end up being an issue. It is a five minute drive and parking at the beach is absolutely no problem. We walked from the beach one day and it was not bad either.

The staff were very helpful. I do think the cost is a bit on the high side but it seems that is the case in the whole town. We drove by the other hotels that we were considering, and we were very happy that we chose Chateau. The others don't look nearly as maintained as Chateau.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank rrizzi
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2009

This inn of about 38 rooms is very clean and lovely. Although I personally did not have their breakfast for a small additional cost, I heard that was very good. The complimentary afternoon tea time is a nice, refreshing touch. The staff, especially Laurie, is great as she is so nice and helpful at the front desk. She goes above and beyond the call of duty. Although the inn is across the street from the New Jersey Transit Spring Lake, New Jersey train station, and very close to the town fire department, with the air conditioning on, one hears very little. Noise is not an issue really. Even though the inn was full, one never gets the feeling of a crowd. It has an intimate feeling. However, on the negative side, how would you like to go on a trip and get a room with a glass door? Would that make you feel very secure? We had such a glass door, one that any criminal could easily crack the glass and enter using the door knob. This is just how I was raped in N.Y.C. some years ago. He broke the glass door, used the door knob, and followed me in. I know Spring Lake, N.J. is not a big city, but still....we all know what kind of world exists today. I have traveled all over for 50 years or so....from Moscow, to the Canary Islands, to the British Virgin Islands, to Montreal, to L.A., etc., and not at the Ritz-Carlton. Yet, every single accommodation I ever had at least had a wooden door, and not a glass door. I think that this lack of attention to security is naive at best, and so inconsiderate to the guest! There are some rooms with wooden doors though, I found out later. Secondly, even though I paid the balance of my bill upon checking out, Leanne gave me a bill that said I owed the very amount I just had paid! In other words, it did not reflect the truth, or read "Balance = zero". When I mentioned this to her, she cheerfully said, "That's just the way we do things here"! Well, in all the other places I have stayed, when I paid the balance, I got a statement that reads "Paid in Full" or "Balance Due = Zero". I don't get a statement that says I owe what I just paid!!!! This accounting system is illogical, weird, unexpected, amateurish, and non-professional - convenient to the inn, but not to us!! So, one secure door and one marked "paid" bill are all that was lacking from this otherwise very pleasant stay. In trying to be fair, this establishment was hard to rate: if you get the wooden door, GREAT, and if you get the glass door...who knows???

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Screaminglyfine
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

a lovely inn in a gorgeous romantic seaside town

• Liked — lovely old fashioned town. Quiet location and great service
  • Disliked — too many stairs to get to the room
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2009

The room we booked online and the room we got were not even similar. Total deception. Our room (#63) was in the building across the parking lot and it had old carpet, torn wallpaper in the bathroom and a musty smell. The pillows were hard and uncomfortable. We paid top dollar for this so called "suite". It was an enormous let down as we were celebrating our tenth anniversary.
We would NOT go back nor we suggest that you go!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Drs2
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2009

I must first say that I stayed in one of the rooms at the side of the house, not the main house, and the room was described to me apologetically as the smallest room. I don't know what the rooms in the main house are like.

But I was on business and not looking for a getaway or spending time in the room, and the Chateau met my needs very well. The setting is a plus, so I'll start there. It is across from one big lovely park on one side and one small lovely park on the other. The big park has a lake with fishing, a fair size playground, a walking bridge and benches. The main street is just a few blocks away, with several blocks with cute little stores (some closed in off-season). The beach is maybe half a mile away, and the walk there is very pleasant. This is a wealthy town with big, well kept clapboard houses with wrap around porches, leafy trees and lovely gardens. The beach itself is nice and clean; plenty of room to sit, and there's a boardwalk. The Chateau has chairs you can rent.

Back to the Chateau: the dining area is quite pleasant. I sat and read quietly at a table by a big window that looked out over the park. There are tables with sun umbrellas in the back, BUT, there are ash trays out on the tables and people were smoking. At this non-smoking accommodation there was also an ash tray stand -- ostensibly for people to extinguish cigarettes upon entering, but which apparently just encouraged people to smoke on the porch.

My room was not charming at all and had no ambiance. The amenities were high quality. Excellent water pressure in shower. The bed wasn't super comfortable, but that might just have been that room. Scratchy, somewhat small bath towels. Window opened with screen; air conditioner and overhead fan with two speeds. I could hear the train, but it wasn't not too bad. They have an excellent DVD collection; tea and coffee out 24-7.

Where I stayed at the side of the house, was laid out like a motel and, fittingly, I heard all the loud people who walked by. However, it was quiet by bedtime. Parking is limited.

Breakfast was medium-high quality continental. No fresh fruit, but fairly good quality danish, individual sized boxes of cereal, juice tasted fresh-squeezed, some other things.

I was there at the end of the off-season and the price was very reasonable. The most striking aspects of this stay for me was how friendly the staff were and the surrounding area. But it's suburban, it's not a getaway from it all. However if you want to be at the beach, this could be a comfortable, inexpensive way to do it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

My husband and I just got back from the Inn. Our first B & B and we loved it. It off season so it was really quite but perfect for a couple who just want to be left alone. The place is gorgeous and classy. The continental was effiicient. My husbabd and I love to work out and what we discovered was the the Inn actually will give you guest passes for "The Atlantic Club" OMG what an awesome gym. Sweet Sweet place.. We were in room 32 and yes we could here the train from the room. We just made more noise then the train wink wink

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
#6 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
Grand Victorian @ Spring Lake
Grand Victorian @ Spring Lake
#8 of 8 in Spring Lake

Been to Chateau Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!