“A nice getaway from the city”

Chateau Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
New York City, New York
“A nice getaway from the city”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Sometimes you just need to breathe and get away from the city rush. This was just what I needed, I do not have a car and it was great to just take the NJ Transit and walk to the Chateau which was beautiful and comfortable and I dare say charming. The bike rental was excellent and in 10 minutes I was at the Beach! The town of Spring Lake is quiet and provided the getaway that gives us peace of mind to continue our life in the big city of NY.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank LPS2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Our group spent a fabulous weekend at the Chateau...everyone kept commenting about how beautiful their rooms were, how quaint everything was and how they absolutely loved the staff and the accommodations. Robert and team went above and beyond to make our stay exceptional. Everything was 5***** We had over 50 people and not one had a complaint. They couldn't stop singing praises. We absolutely will be back next year. Thanks everyone at the Chateau.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were great...one with a balcony or ones facing the inner courtyard were our groups...
Tolland, Connecticut
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My sister and I take an overnight vacation every year. This year we thought we would take the trip to Spring Lake and stay at the adorable Chateau Inn and Suites...BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Although we had a very enjoyable day exploring the town and riding our bikes on the boardwalk, when we retuned for the night our nice vacation ended. We found a huge stain on the sheets when we went to turn in for the night. I went to the front desk and asked the man to give me a clean sheet. He did but my sister and I had to change the bed. When we pulled the bottom sheet off what did we see???.......a bunch of small curly black hairs all over the mattress pad. After the initial shock and gagging that ensued from finding the pubic hairs, we let the man at the desk know we needed a clean mattress pad. He delivered one, but it was the wrong size. He could not find a king so we ended up sleeping on two fitted sheets. The really disappointing part of the trip was the reaction of the man at the desk in the morning. I have to assume he was the owner and when I told him of our experience, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "sorry". After pushing for a bigger reaction he told me I didn't have to pay for the tax on the room. His lack of shock or disgust leads me to believe that this happens often. His wife had the very same reaction when my sister spoke with her, "sorry". We will never stay here again. If you choose to stay at the pubic hair hotel I would hight recommend bringing your own sheets!

10 Thank Jaime D
Loon Lake, NY
Reviewed April 16, 2014

If you are thinking of staying at the Chateau Inn and Suites it might be wise to check the unfavorable reviews. Unfortunately, I didn’t.

It started well enough when I had to change my arrival date. Over the phone that went well. It went downhill as soon as we arrived. The Inn has 65 rooms but only 30 or so very small parking spaces so latecomers must park in the public lot near the train station.

The reception desk area is much like a funeral home, dark wood and carpeting with faint lighting. There may be nice rooms at the Inn but #11 isn’t one of them. It’s small, dark and dreary. The door threshold needed repair and a painting. The desk chair wobbled and the sitting chair was quite uncomfortable; when seated my knees were higher than my hips. The air conditioner is quite noisy for sleeping (so is the refrigerator) and often the television reception was searching for a satellite. The bath, although quite small, was clean and more or less modern. The bed was comfortable but there were no extra pillows. The WiFi didn’t work for an entire day and the staff didn’t know why and didn’t care very much about finding out why. For example, speaking with the staff “at the front desk” means they talk at you from an interior room rather than coming to the desk.

The Inn is a hotel and breakfast is not included ($6 per adult, $3 for a child) although the offerings of pastry, cereal and juices including coffee and tea were plentiful. Spring Lake and the surrounding area have much better selections than the Chateau. Keep looking.

Room Tip: Avoid numbers 9 through 14 on the ground floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank stactom17
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I called early this morning to make a reservation, and a huffy man, who talked over me and did not have the courtesy to listen to my words, told me to call after 8:00. I told him I would not be available after 8:00 (I can't make personal calls at work). He hung up on me! Wow, has this place changed. I have stayed here before and written nice reviews, so why would I be treated like this?? Never again!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank LouisePennsylvania
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This was our second time staying at the Chateau and it was perfect. From the welcoming lobby and staff to the beautifully appointed rooms. Having bikes right on the premises to rent is very convenient. We will be returning again and again....

Room Tip: Room #2 has a sitting room with fireplace that we just love!
NY
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Great romantic getaway or family spot. The rooms and amenities are great match for the neghborhood. Distance to the beach, lake, park, restaurants etc. is excellent.

1 Thank kahawtho
Spring Lake Inn
Spring Lake Inn
#4 of 8 in Spring Lake
Grand Victorian at Spring Lake

Been to Chateau Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!