“Fit the bill for us, but don't go with high expectations”
Review of Black Trumpet - CLOSED

Black Trumpet
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Yesterday my Husband and I needed a change of scene for our occasional Friday Lunch date.
We drove the 45 minutes to Spring Lake and had lunch at the Black Trumpet.
The weather was perfect for the shore (hot, with a breeze, and no humidity). We had reserved a table on the porch which was pleasant and not overcrowded. We ordered Caesar Salads with grilled chicken, which took their time in coming. We didn't mind since we enjoy each others company and sipped on our B.Y.O.B wine.
The salads were tasteless and the chicken was dried out even after adding the juice of additional lemons to them.
We ate half, took the rest home and added our own dressing and condiments.
After lunch we enjoyed a stroll on the boardwalk and through one of our favorite towns.

1  Thank bronzebabe

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were there for our anniversary and we had a lovely romantic dinner. The service was outstanding-- the place is bring your own, but my glass of wine never dipped below half full, as our server filled it without me ever asking. Same with our water glasses. She was impeccable. We had bone in filet Mignon, which was expensive but delicious and perfectly cooked. We also had bananas Foster prepared table side. My only regret is that I do not remember our server's name.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

We wanted to celebrate my girlfriend's 60th birthday and decided the Black Trumpet would offer both good food and a nice ambiance. Let me begin with the ambiance. We sat outside and enjoyed a beautiful view of the ocean and some great live guitar music. So far, so good. Now onto the food. My girlfriends ordered a Caesar salad which was good and nicely presented. My mesclun salad with beets and goat cheese was also good. Entrees-here is where it gets interesting:
Jumbo lump crab cakes with smashed potato & string beans- very good, my girlfriend had no complaints.
Lobster special- a crispy wonton with a crab cake and lobster on top of spinach and mashed potato. Very nicely presented and well executed. For $49, we were glad it was.
Grilled Salmon on top of beet risotto with arugula- I was enjoying my dish until I got to the center of the salmon and saw it was raw. I eat sushi and beef carpaccio, but by choice. Needless to say I was not happy. I called the waiter who took it back and returned with a well done version of what was left. He stated that this is how the chef prepares salmon with a bit of arrogance. We told him that the customer should be informed ahead of time since not everyone wants raw salmon. There was no apology or accommodation. This was a BIG service faux pas. Last, the bathroom left alot to be desired. I don't know how they are not embarrassed by the condition of that rest room. We are experienced diners and know what to expect of a restaurant. If you want to be in an upscale area and charge upscale prices, then you need to deliver food and service that reflect that.
Black Trumpet had it's hits and misses. The misses reverted back to "attitude", both in the kitchen and at the service level. I noticed they had a prix-fix lunch. Perhaps that might be a better option as I am not convinced I would return for dinner.

3  Thank Idania60
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We have been frequenting the Black Trumpet for several years in both their new location on Ocean Avenue as well as their previous location on Salem Ave. The Ocean Ave. location, located next to The Breakers, is more informal and relaxed. The Black Trumpet offers an assortment of salads and sandwiches for lunch but their complete lunch offering for $14.95 is a bargain for shore dining that doesn't involve burgers and hot dogs. Included in the complete lunch special is a pasta appetizer, spring mix salad, entree, dessert and beverage. Entrees include steak, fish and chicken offerings served with a potato and fresh vegetable side. Desserts often include brownie with chocolate sauce and raspberry cake with raspberry sauce. Summertime dining is either on the spacious front porch or inside. Reservations are suggested for outside dining as it fills up quickly after 12 noon on most days. While not situated right on the beach, the restaurant is located on the road that separates the beach from the residential and commercial community in Spring Lake. The Black Trumpet is BYOB but they can arrange to have a bottle of wine delivered to your table should you forget.

1  Thank JerseyShore2
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Last summer (mid August, 2010) we took 8 people to celebrate a big birthday. We had asked to be seated in one of smaller rooms and seemed to be promised that over phone on 2 different calls. However, when we arrived we were seated in middle of main dining room and they had no "record" of the request for different room. (They did try to switch us to a better location but it just wasn't possible so I will give them credit for trying to accommodate our request.) Unfortunately, the main dining room was filled because of bad acoustics it just got louder and louder as evening progressed (We were seated at 7:30 p.m. on a Tuesday night). It became so loud it was difficult to talk and I must say it really put damper on entire dinner. Some of the entrees were very good, but some were just "Okay" or not that special. All of us were pretty underwhelmed in general. Most of us were from out of town (New York, Arizona and Colorado) and were told by local friends that "this was the place" for a truly great dinner." Clearly, our expectations were a bit too high. It's a lovely little restaurant and has much charm, but I think it's best to go for lunch or an everyday dinner and not a very special occasion with large group. I recommend Matisse down the road in Belmar which is right on the boardwalk/beach and BYOB as well but for some reason not as noisy and much better views of ocean. Food is also very good there.

1  Thank Geej