“Great Weekend Getaway!”
Review of The Ocean House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 8 Spring Lake B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“Great Weekend Getaway!”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I had the opportunity to visit the Ocean House twice this summer (once with my husband and once for a girls' weekend) and I can't recommend it enough! Jared really sets the perfect tone for the place... he is so good natured and laid back, it's hard to have a bad day while you're there. We really do feel like we're visiting an old friend when we stay there. Spending the late afternoon on the porch with a good book and a glass of wine is priceless. I also love being able to walk to the beach in less than 2 minutes. There are also tennis courts in walking distance (just be sure to reserve in advance during the summer!)

The Ocean House is a beautiful old Victorian house....the rooms will not rival the Four Seasons, but they are all charming and comfortable. We've stayed in both Premium Queen and Premium King rooms and have never been disappointed.

We're already looking forward to next summer!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stacey729

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My boyfriend and I travel a lot for work and have stayed in hotels, motels and B&B's of every variety. When it comes time for us to relax for a long weekend getaway, there is nowhere better than Spring Lake and in Spring Lake there is NOWHERE quite like the Ocean House. One block from the beach, the house itself is historical, charming and has great personality. The wrap around porch invites you to read the paper and enjoy an early morning cup of coffee or wind down with some conversation over a late evening glass of wine by candlelight. You could spend all day on the porch alone. The rooms are always comfortable, clean and quaint. But what makes the Ocean House the best place on the Jersey Shore are the owners. Dennis, Nancy and Jared make you feel like you're family from the time you check in until the time you leave. They are warm, attentive to your every need and are always great company. An ever changing and always delicious breakfast menu awaits you when you wake up (or at least when we wake up 8-10ish). From there you can use one of the many beach cruisers to take a bike tour of Spring Lake or take some beach chairs and umbrellas down a block and sun bathe on the beach for the afternoon. Dennis and Nancy always have the greatest recommendations for dinner spots, local lunch gems and nearby attractions. The Ocean House is paradise. We look forward to it every year and after seeing many familiar faces year after year, we've realized we're not alone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alicia P
new york
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I am not a "beach person" at all, but I have stayed here twice and enjoyed my time at the beach both times. There is a great porch where you can sip your morning coffee, read your book or enjoy an evening cocktail or glass of wine (byob). You need only walk a short distance to arrive at the boardwalk and ocean going one direction or at the lake and town in the other direction. If you would like a dinner recommendation, your hosts will undoubtedly find you something to suit your tastes. I look forward to visiting again!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Somers, New York
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Whenever I travel I prefer to stay at a B&B, I love the personal service, and from my first phone call to my parting goodbyes The Ocean House did not disappoint.
I had called last minute to make a reservation for a midweek two night getaway before summer slipped away. The staff could not have been more accomodating, finding rooms in my price range for my sister, her daughter and myself. We stayed in a classic queen and a single room, both rooms were neat, clean and cozy. The beds were comfortable and the inn was very quiet.
Of course the fantastic porch was our meeting place. When we were not on the beach we so enjoyed relaxing there. I was happy to learn the coffee was available early and all day along with other beverages and sweet treats.
I found breakfast delicious, ample and very satisfying with something for everyone.
The location of The Ocean House can not be better, one block from the beach and a short walk to the town and the lake. The availability of bikes, sand chairs and towels came in handy as well as the use of a refrigerator.
I did not find the limited parking at the inn bothersome, I was already aware of the parking restrictions from prior visits to Spring Lake.
All in all my visit to The Ocean House exceeded my expectations. I would like to thank a very thorough and hard working Jared as well as the entire staff for making us feel so welcomed. We look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank meok626
connecticut
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I, along with another couple, spent a long weekend at this very special place in Spring Lake---one of the prettiest towns in America. With it's magnificent front porch, with wicker couches for everyone, located just one block from the boardwalk along the ocean, it's hard to imagine a better B & B anywhere. That's why we keep coming back, as do most of the other guests. Dennis and Nancy, along with Jared and Penny (the sweet chocolate lab), make you feel so at home you don't want to leave. The rooms are cozy and quaint (and very quiet). Breakfast is a smorgasbord that differs daily--- fresh fruits, muffins, bagels, eggs, burritos, waffles, pancakes, juices and coffee---something for everyone. During the day, there is lemonade, water, coffee and tea available.There are bikes, beach chairs, umbrellas and towels for guests to borrow. For dinner we dined in town at three really terrific restaurants, walking to each one. This is truly a special place to getaway from it all. A long weekend away easily felt like a week's vacation for us all. We cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: The Ocean House website gives great pictures of most rooms--- we have loved each one we have stayed...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cmahls
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I must say this is truly a "bed and breakfast." This is in no way a "hotel" if that is what someone is looking for. it is well decorated and the owners were very nice and constantly keeping up with things. Breakfast was good - not great, but completely fine. We are early risers so we had to wait for breakfast which was ok because they had plenty of coffee ready to go nice and early. The room was a typical bed and breakfast. Small for two queen size beds but adequate. it was clean and we had access to everything. It is a close walk to the beach and we had use of chairs and umbrellas. The porch is beautiful and comfortable to sit on (you could seriously sit there all day). We liked that there were afternoon snacks and fresh lemon water in the dining room all day for us to take and there was bottled water available all day also. They have a refrigerator for guests to use in the main dining area. The only con I would say is the price! All of the bed and breakfasts at the jersey shore have gotten sooooo outrageously priced that it really is hard to stay there with a family of 4 for more than a few days. All prices are based on double occupancy so it the room is $275.00 a night plus tax that is NOT including the kids. They are ANOTHER 50.00 each. Room price now with tax and all extras mid 400.00 range AT LEAST per night! This is a lot of money for a family to spluge on when the room is small, there are only ac units in the room, and of course no elevator (which is typical for bed and breakfasts, but it is still a pain to walk up and down with all luggage to the 3rd floor). ALL of this being said, it is a VERY NICE place to stay if you can spend the money. You can't beat the atmosphere, the cleanliness and convenience of The Ocean House. I think they they are right on par as far as pricing goes with all other lodging options in the area, so I guess it is just me thinking that all the prices are high b/c the Jersey shore has become so popular in recent years. We would most likely stay there again if with the expense!

Room Tip: Ask for a room maybe on the second floor. We are pretty in shape people and the 3rd floor was still...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
West Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My youngest daughter and I arrived at the Ocean House on Tuesday, and spent three days and 331 steps from the beach. Jared and staff knew exactly how to make the most of this trip for us - from breakfast to ice cream recommendations- everything was beyond my expectation. The inn was immaculate, the staff incredibly accomodating, and all of their guests were delightful. It was as if I was staying with extended family - lots of great food, great company and attention. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: 336 steps from the beach - one block!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family