“Best for a light lunch”
Review of Pastaio - CLOSED

Pastaio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jersey Avenue
Transit: Local Monmouth County bus service runs on 3rd Avenue. Taxi service readily available. NJ Transit train Station for Spring Lake within walking distance.
Description: Pastaio is the Italian word for "pasta maker" which reflects our Chef's experience working as Pastaio for restaurants in New York including Eataly, where she would turn out roughly 3,000 pounds weekly. We now bring fresh handmade pasta daily to the Jersey Shore incorporating the freshest seasonal ingredients to our menu that changes each week. At Pastaio we strive to support our local produce, fish and meat, purveyors on an organic and sustainable basis. Our Menu reflects our kitchen staff experience with classical french training and the bounty of the Garden State. We are proud to utilize Pat LaFrieda Meats of New York for our meat and poultry. Ask about having your next event in our Private Party Room which can accommodate up to 50. Gluten Free Meatballs and fresh Gluten Free Pasta Available.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We tried Pastaio recently when we wanted only a light lunch, and both the barata and the specialty pasta of the day were fresh, imaginative and excellent. But as others have said, the service is slow, even though the restaurant had very few customers while we were there. And the atmosphere is a little odd with the renovation work going on behind the curtains. Somehow my husband and I both had the feeling it would not be a good place to go for dinner. But the owner(?) was friendly and helpful, and the food delicious enough that I would still recommend it for lunch.

1  Thank pathfinderNj

Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you know Spring Lake, you're probably enchanted by the Anglo-American homes and preciously designed lake with its Givernyish bridges in the middle of town. You may have also noted that most of the best restaurants are Irish pubs.
So, great for fans of architecture, not-so-great for fans of gastronomy. But now there's Pastaio, a little store front restaurant specializing in hand-made pasta. The bolognese sauce is superb, a subtle but distinct evocation of the original. Polpettoni (meat balls) are big and delicate, completely unlike the cannon balls of my youth. We also enjoyed and excellent lobster bisque and a luscious little burrata.
Service was slow, but charming and we expect it will improve with practice.
There's a small, but well-stocked wine and beer shop just down the street. Altogether, it's possible that Spring Lake could turn into a restaurant destination town and one day, you'll hear people saying "Park? Bridges? No, we just go there for the food."

1  Thank Lynn H
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Arrived for a late lunch about 2:30; there were several people eating at the outside tables and we chose to go inside. We were the only 'inside' patrons but 4 more people came after us and sat outside. Most of the inside tables had obviously been used for an earlier crowd and were being reset at the time of our arrival. The window table was quickly cleaned up for us. My husband and I had a wonderful lunch - both of our meals were delicious. I had the linguine with cockles and my husband had the fettucine with bolognese. The gelato desserts were also excellent. I've read complaints of service being slow - but remember this is not a fast food place and we enjoyed taking our time, listening to their great music and enjoying our food. That is part of the charm of this restaurant. Will definitely return.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

The food at Pastaio is wonderful. It is a great little local restaurant where you can enjoy a nice dining experience. You are not rushed, you can take your time and enjoy the food and the company. All the food is prepared freshly for each diner. We were there with two other couples who enjoyed it immensely. It is in a little NJ shore town, a couple of blocks from the beach. During the warmer weather, there are tables outside. It is not cheap but it is not too expensive. We went during "restaurant week", so it was inexpensive, but we had been there prior to this visit and the prices were not too bad, It is a BYOB, so this saves on the cost. We will return.

1  Thank bruce-rhonda
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Read all the reviews and frankly do not get it? Not that the food is bad, nice appetizers and nice selection of entrees. Howerer, they are way overpriced and very small portion. In addition, I would excpect better service for these prices. Service was SO SLOW. almost 3 Hours???? basic, service like refilling water glasses were ignored. Fresh pasta? big deal! I did not notice the difference and I enjoy fresh pasta. Last issue...$14.00 for the desert of the day. I was skeptical before ordering based on the apps, and entrees but I has to see what a $14. dessert looked like? BIG DISSAPOINTMENT! should have been $6 or $7 at the most! agian, not that the food was bad, but not worth the price!!

1  Thank bolognafrank1