“Overpriced and over rated”
Review of Hewitt Wellington

Hewitt Wellington
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Overpriced and over rated”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was 300 plus per night. The room was small and the bathroom out dated. The facility did not seem particuarly clean. I had expected more given the price.

On the positive side the folks at the front desk were nice, and there is a pretty porch at the front of the hotel that guests can sit on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Veronica J
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I appreciate you letting me know about your stay and I'm sorry that you were not 100% happy. In researching your reservation, the room that you had is meant just for two people and I believe you may have had children with you. For a future stay, a suite would actually be perfect for you and your family to stay in as it allows up to 4 guests and has a sleep sofa in the living room.

I am glad that the staff met your expectations and I will make sure that I pass on your comment to them.

We do hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We loved our stay at the Hewitt Wellington. The hotel staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating, the room was adorable, the bed was SO comfortable and everything was quiet and clean. It was great to have a pool right at the hotel so we had somewhere to relax before and after the beach. The hotel is a quick walk to town and the small added touches, like iced tea and cheese in the afternoon, make it a perfect beach hotel. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting me know about your stay. I'm so glad that you enjoyed not just the hotel but the town itself. Hopefully you won't wait until next summer to visit us again. We are open year round so next time you need a day to relax, give us a call.

Thank you!
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stay. The room was very comfortable and clean. Each room has its own bathroom that is also clean. You could walk to the beach in minutes.The staff were friendly and very helpful. My wife and I enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking time to review your stay. I'm so glad that you and your wife had an enjoyable time with us and we look forward to having you visit many more times.

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I just came back from Spring Lake for a two night stay. I took my girls, ages 6 and 12 away for a few days at the beach with mom. We really had a nice relaxing stay. A few words to describe the Hewitt Wellington, Classic, Beautiful, Old World Charm, simply perfect. The staff was just so polite and professional. Nicole, Kelly, Peter and Kathy thank you so much for a really peaceful getaway with my girls. Hope to see you all soon. Filomena.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We had a great time with you and your girls as well. So glad you decided to give us a try and that we lived up to your expectations. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Wow. A last minute booking on line led us to the wonderful place. Short walk to the beach, beautiful wrap around porch, heated swimming pool, tastefully decorated rooms and whispers restaurant attached! While it is not an inexpensive place to stay, the wonderful atmosphere makes the cost worth it! We stayed with our two teenage children in a suite with a private deck area. First floor. There was a bedroom and then a small foyer and the living room with a pull out couch. Two TVs also. Loved the furniture unit in the living room with lots of storage and a fridge and wine glasses and a wine opener. Was so nice not to have to ask the front desk for everything.
Improvement suggestions:::
Absolutely MUST have coffee available before breakfast starts at 8am! Even a kuerig would be great. There was a coffee pot in our room but i didnt want to wake everyone else and i needed creamer etc. This is coming from a coffee addict of course though so I drove to dunkin donuts in belmar.
Also:::: need to get bigger beach towels. We were told that they were low on towels. It was noon?We were given the white shower towels that did not seem very clean but we were only using them for the beach so not a huge deal, but still.
And lastly, maybe some sprucing up of the exterior to make it a little warmer and more inviting? I am thinking that is why in all our years of visiting spring lake we never thought to stay here? It sort of looks like an older "rooming house" from the outside because it is all white. There is basic wicker furniture on the front porch. Cute and comfortable enough. Dont let these small negatives stop u from visiting though!!! The inside is beautiful and warm. Hard wood floors and area rugs and high celings in many areas. I must say that the stay was a wonderful, relaxing experience. The convenience is terrific as is the staff. Very nice and helpful. We r definitely returning next year for a longer stay.

• Stayed August 2013
I'm so glad that you found us and overall loved your stay. I appreciate your suggestions to make things better. Our coffee is usually out by about 7:15am but I will certainly look into whether we may have been running a little late the day you mentioned. The pool towels we should not have been out of and since reading this have taken steps to make sure they are washed and dried nightly.
As to the outside, I welcome any and all suggestions on how to make it more inviting, please feel free to call or email me with ideas. We do try to keep it simple as it's original use when constructed in 1876 was actually as a boarding house.

We definitely look forward to seeing you again. We are open year round so any time you need a quick getaway, let us know!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is my second time staying at the Hewitt Wellington and the stay was just as enjoyable this time as it was the last time. Of course the one day I ended up booking to stay there it poured rain almost all day, but me and my girlfriend made the most of it. Great location and great staff. Everyone there goes above and beyond to make the guests feel at home. Just one complaint though. The first time I stayed here I booked room 28 but was given room 27. This time I booked room 17 but was given room 16. The receipt I got even said room 17 and the boy working there told us room 17 was on the third floor. So as we get to the door I tried opening room 17, because that is what I requested online, but the key wouldn't budge. A lady then came to the door and said, "this is not your room." I began to apologize and looked really confused. That's when I realized the key said room 16 on it. So we tried it and it opened. I mean, the staff is great, the breakfast is fresh, the rooms are impeccable, but I just wish I would get the room I booked for. I didn't mind it though because all the rooms are incredibly neat and tidy. But I do need for management to be aware of these mistakes that are taking place. I didn't mention it in my first review because I thought it was an accident, but after it happening the second time, I had to mention it on here. But like I said... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING STAY! I recommend the Hewitt Wellington to everyone thinking of staying in Spring Lake!

• Stayed August 2013
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review your stay. I really appreciate your kind words and so glad that you have such a great time with us.
I have spoken with the staff to see if we could figure out why the rooms had been changed which was simple enough. Obviously we dropped the ball when we did not inform you of these changes and for that I am very sorry.
I am hoping to see you again soon and please call or email me directly so we can get you taken care of.
Fort Lee, NJ
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I booked the Hewitt Wellington for two nights this past Memorial Day Weekend - to pop the question to my girlfriend (now fiance). Having never stayed before I wasn't sure what to expect - but it exceeded expectations. Despite it being a busy holiday weekend, everyone on the staff was more than gracious in helping me plan the big surprise that I was planning. The helpful ladies at the front desk even hid flowers and champagne for me. The big weekend was capped off by an amazing meal at Whispers - certainly one of the best restaurants at the Jersey Shore.

I don't write reviews, so to get me on here means this place is exceptional. Look no further than this place when in the Spring Lake area.

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed by even their most affordable rooms.