“excellent value and service”
Review of Doolan's

Doolan's
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed April 21, 2011

i stayed as part of agroup in March 2011. on arrival (1am ) i was met by a friendly gentleman that gave keys etc and showed me to the room. my room was in the 'motel' style rooms and accessed by the stairs internally or externally.These rooms overlooked the outside pool ( which was closed for this time of the season) I found the room with two very comfortable double beds and nice clean bathroom . the sweeping staircase in the foyer is its centrepiece and together with the new decor made for a pleasant surprise from what i had read in previous reviews. there was a group of over 20 of us and i dont think anyone had any complaints ..some staying for over 2 weeks. this is a family run hotel and the delightful sisters that ran the hotel were always on hand to help out with any queries. the breakfast was included but basic cereals / pastries and drinks. although the pastries were delicious i had to curb my enthusiasm for them forthe sake of my wasteline ! the hotel is situated a short stroll from Spring Lake beach and centre, close to the railstation which came in very handy for travelling around a bit. Overall a very pleasant stay and would not hesitate in recommending a stay here ..perhaps ask for the inside rooms if available but if you arent bothered about being in the 'outside' rooms (these are connected to the hotel and are as such part of it ) just book any room.

Room Tip: New decor and a friendly relaxed atmosphere
  • Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank ChrisR67
There are newer reviews for Doolan's

Reviewed January 28, 2011

We had a wonderful time at Doolan's over Christmas. The hotel was clean and nicely decorated. The rooms were big and the owners were wonderful. We ended up getting snowed in at the hotel and we had a great time. We were well taken care of. We are planning another trip to the Jersey Shore and have already booked our rooms for Doolan's.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We were planning a surprise party for our Dad's 80th Birthday. We went to Doolan's for our appointment with their banquet coordinator. We went despite the poor reviews as they were written many years ago. We were happy to see that the lobby, restaurant and hotel had been beautifully updated and decorated. We had 30 guest arrive and escorted to our dining area. They even alerted us when our parents were on the property. They did a wonderful job helping us pick out the best menu package for our needs. The food was served hot, which is seldom done these days. I had the salmon, it was done to perfection it was cooked through, flaky and still moist. Everyone had a wonderful time and really enjoyed their delicious meal. Before we left we had a group photo taken in the lobby. We stood on the sweeping staircase with our parents sitting in front of us on a large chair. Mike Doolan's went above and beyond our expectations.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My family and I have stayed at Doolan's in the past, and while it was in need of the some updating you really couldn't beat the value (great in-house resturant, close proximity to beach, etc...). However, this year we were pleasantly surprised to see a completely different Doolan's on our yearly pilgrimage to the jersey shore. The lobby went from 60's drab to 21st century modern decor- with all new furniture and wall treatments. It gives a once outdated place a new breath of life! The best addition, has to be the wrap-around bar in the lobby- it truly looks amazing, and was it wonderful place to have a cocktail !

As for the rooms, my family was completely surprised (we thought they only remodeled the lobby and banquet rooms, like most hotels do), to see the transformation that took place in the rooms( we had two). Out was the old flower wallpaper, accompanied by the stained carpet with the typical "jersey shore" feeling and In with a beautifully redone room with amazing beds, beautiful window treatments with matching bed spreads. The rooms also had a large headboard with matching night stands and desk, that gave it a wonderful modern look.

All in all, our stay at Doolan's was an amazing time, filled with many pleasant surprises. As for the reviewer below " A dirty 60's..." Last year I might have agreed with them, however with all the renovation that has been done, it looks and feels completely different. I would definitely recommend Doolans as the place to stay

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank CtMOM445
Reviewed June 6, 2010

STAY AWAY!!! Dirty Stinky rooms. Never updated in the last 50 years. Beds were scary to sleep in. Bathrooms were dirty & rusty. Tile was pink and black from the 50's. Rugs were just as bad. I now know why your reservations and NON-REFUNDABLE. DO NOT book here for ANY reason. It was the worst rooms I have EVER stayed in. I will NOT ever stay in a room like that again. The only reason we stayed was the wedding party was staying there????? $150 per night. I would have paid $300 to stay ANYWHERE else.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank utbp2
Reviewed May 8, 2010

We had our daughters wedding at Doolans on April 24th. I did read some reviews before booking the wedding and was a litttle skepticle. Susan Doolan went out of her way to make the day truly amazing. The food was terrific, the staff was amazing, A lot of people stayed overnight. The rooms were very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The cocktail hour was unbelievable!!! Dinner was served by wait staff that went out of there way to accomodate everyone. The wedding cake was beautiful, the dessert table and baked alaska were the best ever!! I would recommend Doolans to any one for any type of affair, be a wedding or shower etc. My daughter requested a candy bar, wich was set up perfectly. Every one who attended the wedding kept saying it was the best wedding ever.. The dinner was unbelievable, they actually took care of 192 guests, and got everyones dinners PERFECT.. I would like the thank the DOOLANS for making my daughter and "new" son-in-laws day so special!!!

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I attended a wedding at Doolan's and was grossed out with the filthy guest room. Checked out and stayed at a very expensive B&B in Spring Lake. The hotel is in need of major renovations if they have not already been done
This hotel is not in Spring Lake it is in Spring Lake Heights.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park
Atlantic Inn & Suites
Atlantic Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Wall Township

Been to Doolan's? Share your experiences!