“Some many problems”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Breakers on the Ocean
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed July 27, 2006

The Breakers....where to begin....

My family was under the impression that this was a top notch hotel but please do not be mistaken -- it is nothing even remotely near luxury.

First of all, the elevator hardly works. This would not be a problem if it weren't for the un-airconditioned hallways and stair cases. I would break a sweat everytime I tried to bring something up or down the stairs. The hotel also has a horrible musty smell. The rooms have individual air conditioners, but ours wasn't on when we arrived so our room was disgustingly hot and humid and was damp the entire duration of our stay.

You have to sign a no alcohol clause when you check in, but we did not abide by it. They did not state this rule when we first enquired about a reservation either and I am still not sure why they have this policy-- maybe to force you to go to their pathetic in-house bar?

The rudeness of the employees was also very frustrating. They were all probably 19 and under and did not seem like they wanted to be working there. They also were of zero help. When I asked if the front desk sold stamps they acted as if I had asked if they sold firearms.

Another annoyance was the number of weddings and other events that were taking place every night that we were there. The only real feature of the hotel is their big front porch but we basically didn't have access to it the entire time we were at the Breakers. One night we were sitting out back by the pool and were told to go inside at 11pm. Mind you there are weddings going on in the front multiple times a week. It was our first night and we didn't want to complain or cause problems, but we were treated very rudely.

Overall, this place was a dump. The rooms were small, the bathrooms outdated and just plain dirty and the overall environment was just cold and unwelcoming. You have to mail in a check in order to reserve a room and there are no refunds. I would never, ever go back here again. I would rather stay in some crappy motel than waste my money at this place.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
18  Thank kristind05
There are newer reviews for The Breakers on the Ocean

Reviewed July 25, 2006

This is a bit lengthy but please read it. We feel that the marketing for this hotel is misleading. It is far from luxury and among the many magnificent historic buildings in the town, it is really an eyesore from both the exterior and the interior. Also they don't tell you that they are basically a catering hall hotel with constant weddings, funeral gatherings, etc in that small hotel.

For just under $300 per night (plus tax!) the room was small, and cramped. The door lock to the room was falling out and had to be repaired before we could leave the room. The wallpaper in the room was old, faded, bubbling and peeling off in several places; it was also sticky and dirty. There was a wad of toilet paper hanging out of the the dropped ceiling where it had been stuffed in to plug up a hole. The bathroom was updated and relatively pleasant, however, we would not use the jacuzzi tub because of the black Mold growing from inside the jets. The corridors were very dark, almost unlit and they were Not air conditioned and were oppressively hot. The one small elevator was so slow as to be virtually non-existent.

We had a customer service issue due the fact that we relied upon direction for parking from a uniformed hotel employee, which caused a problem for us. The hotel manager took the firm position that the employee was not a representative of the hotel and that guests should not rely upon any given hotel employee for information. The attitude Was: tough cookies, eat the additional expense, no we will not accommodate you, all guests sign a parking disclaimer, it's your problem, It does not matter if our employee told you to park there, you shouldn't rely on them for info (huh?) In almost any other hotel we have ever stayed in , the manager would have apologized for the confusion and at least offered a cup of coffee in apology. At The Breakers, they do not accommodate. For those who don't know - they have no parking lot, you have to search for street parking which the town restricts severely.)

Now, we are very reasonable people, have travelled extensively for both business and pleasure at many different types of accommodations and I can say that in over 20 years, we have Never experienced a less caring and less customer service oriented hotel. In addition, a member of our party became ill and needed to obtain some over-the counter medications on a Sunday evening. The front desk could not have been less helpful. They had no first -aid accommodations and no real suggestions as to where to get help.

The breakers is not what they claim to be, except for location, which they use to their advertising advantage. With a complete overhaul, both inside and outside and with completely new management it could be special, but until that happens, we would not stay there again for free.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
27  Thank Readmeandknow
Reviewed July 20, 2006

We were visiting New Jersey to attend a wedding and since I grew up in the area, I wanted my family to experience a Jersey Shore Vacation. (Mom, Dad, 12 year old son and Father-in-Law) I wanted somewhere near the beach ( The Breakers is directly across from the beach)! I wanted a place that offered my 92 year old father-in-law a safe and easy place to walk, yes, this guy walks 2 hours a day! Once again the boardwalk is great right across from The Breakers. I also wanted a Hotel that was well kept, had a nice swimming pool, offered many dining choices and included a refrigerator in the room so we could have Juice, Milk & Cereal in the morning if we liked. The room we had was a "family whirlpool" and included 2 queen beds, small table and chairs, TV Armour with storage, a closet, iron and board and a bathroom with Whirlpool tub. The room was fine ( 4 people in one room is tight no matter where you stay ) but really we usually woke up around 9:00 - 10:00am had breakfast and we were off until Midnight... so it didn't really feel crowded. The best thing about the room to me was sitting on one of the beds and using the window sill for a table. I opened the window and listened and watched families frolicking at the beach, it was great. At night you could open the windows get a cool breeze ( we did on one evening ) and let the waves lull you to sleep.

The rate was higher then I would normally pay but hey, where in this area of NJ, can you find anything that can beat it on the Ocean, you can't.

The staff were fine and were kept busy so they didn't chat much. I didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food. The pool was great, the beach wonderful, the boardwalk didn't have splinters. My family loved the experience!

The only glitch was the elevator broke down on checkout day and carrying suitcases down 2 flights wasn't too much fun. I actually asked the Bell Boy to carry a few and he was more then happy to help!

Parking was a bit tricky too but walking a 1/2 block or so wasn' t a problem for me.

Bottom line is... The Breakers on the Shore in Spring Lake New Jersey met our expectations and the family enjoyed a New Jersey Shore Vacation for several days!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank hhistu
A TripAdvisor Member
NJ Resident
Reviewed July 11, 2006

WORST Customer service and ATTITUDE displayed. It's the "I DON'T CARE" if you are HAPPY!! BECAUSE I HAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!! It's a over priced Holiday Inn at best. You can walk up the stairs faster then the small elevator. The room decor is 1960 -70's! with the gross looking couch, that has probably seen better days.

• Stayed: July 2006
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 24, 2006

Despite some negative reviews, our entire family (parents and kids) agrred that this was a nice place to stay. It is clean, the beds comfortable, has a nice pool and a great location. We stayed at other fancier places and more expensive as well, but were totally not disappointed, especially after reading the bad reviews, none of which had much merit. The location is excellent, near multiple multi-million dolar mansions that are immaculately groomed and acroos from the beach and boardwalk. The restaurant, altjhough we bypassed eating there since it appeared there was a dresscode, has reasonable prices and an attrtactive menu.
All in all, quiet and comfortable and a pleasure. Would definitely recommend. Enjoy the elevator, which is probably the slowest you've ever been on.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank RBlack230
Reviewed June 24, 2006

My family and I stayed her in 7/05. The "family room" was $250 per night which I would not mind since the location is the key point of this place. It was very convenient to the ocean. But for that money I DO expect to have a clean rug...this thing was black! I would not let my one year old walk on it and I DO expect the air conditioning to work properly. That thing was rattling all night our family was up the first night the second day we asked to be switched to another room and all they did was transfer one unworkable air conditioner from our room with another unworkable one...they could care a less. About ten years ago this place was still in great condition they are just letting it go down the tubes. Well this year we have booked elsewhere...sorry Breakers you need to step up and fix this place.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank c38ate
A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 12, 2006

This property is in dire need of an update.....The room we stayed in was a 2 room suite. The suite had a lumpy king size bed ( only two standard size pillows ) with a faded bedspread. The pull out couch was just as bad. The bathroom looked like a construction project. It was very dark. The shower floor had a huge white plaster spot and the vanity had a large crack by the sink?? Ugh!!!!

We have traveled all over the world and have never had to pay a premium price for such bad accommodations. Do yourself a favor, save the hassle of sending a check months in advance, reserve a room at a Holiday Inn and spurge on a great bottle of wine and dinner.

Stayed: June 2006
Grand Victorian at Spring Lake
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to The Breakers on the Ocean? Share your experiences!