“Bad food and poor service.”
Review of The Mill

The Mill
Ranked #8 of 28 Restaurants in Spring Lake
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ocean Rd.
Wall, NJ
“Bad food and poor service.”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Our dining experience was very disappointing to say the least. The lobster bisque and fresh mozzarella and tomatoe were good. My entree was a complete disappointment. I ordered the seafood fra diavolo and as I was taking the lobster out of the shell it was mushy. I took a small bite and it was bad. It tasted and smelled like rotten fish. I explained it to the waiter and he barely apologized and was just going to replace the tail with a new one after my dish had been contaminated. I asked to look at the menu for another option because I had completely lost my appetite for that meal. I ordered the Delmonico steak which was supposed to have a horseradish encrustation and it was supposed to be prepared medium. When I got the steak it was prepared medium well. At this point I did not want to send another meal back. As I proceeded to eat the steak, it did not have the horseradish encrustation and it was an extremely fatty cut of meat. I did advise the waiter to let the chef know that the steak was not horseradish encrusted. My wife's meal was ruined because she tried to wait until I got my replacement meal but eventually had to eat alone because it was getting cold. We were barely offered an apology let alone any type of consolation for our disappointing experience. When I got the bill the waiter came over and said that the gratuity had already been included. At this point I asked to speak with the manager who was equally unconcerned and not helpful. I explained the situation and he was unwilling to offer any type of compensation for our bad experience. He also said that because I had a gift certificate from restaurants.com that the tip is automatically included. Nowhere on the certificate or website did it specify this. I also have used the certificate at other places and they don't do that. The most the manager was willing to do was take the tip off. They didn't even offer any extra bread or anything while I was waiting for my replacement meal. I will not be returning to this restaurant. Spare yourself the aggravation. For a restaurant of this caliber and cost, one expects higher quality food and service which was completely lacking. Hopefully this review was helpful to at least one person.

3 Thank jpo3921

“Mill Around and Enjoy”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Great mixologist on staff. Considerate valet parking. Food is very well prepared and presented. Great variety on menu with specials that are creative and just ahead of the curve. Still a traditionally formal atmosphere that caters to the casually atired.

Visited November 2012
Shore Acres, New Jersey, United States
“Milled over food”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

It was just okay. Not worth the price and certainly not worth the reputation. There was nothing to distinguish it.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Russ F
Howell, New Jersey
“New Year's Day Dinner”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I love this restaurant! It's very dressy and the food is prepared just right - every time. My husband and I come here for our anniversary and this year we brought the whole family for New Year's Day dinner. Everyone had something different and each of us agreed it was cooked perfectly. Get a seat by a window.

Visited January 2012
Colts Neck, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty place, horrible experience”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The setting is lovely, the day was perfect. Unfortunately, the food, service, the staff left a lot to be desired. The starters were good, but served very, very sparingly. One plate held very few pieces and was not sufficient or served often enough for wedding guests. The omelet station was embarrassing. It took one half hour for an omelet to be made and then was served absolutely raw and not edible. The buffet did not do as promised. The turkey was too hard to eat. The staff took the champagne glasses off the table before a toast could be made. Coffee was difficult to get. You had to catch a waiter to get served. Terrible disappointing and embarrassing. I would never recommend them or trust them with any celebration. I was a frequent visitor of the Old Mill and am sorry to say those days are gone.

• Visited October 2012