“My new yearly anniversary wknd getaway B&B:)”
Review of Normandy Inn

Normandy Inn
Normandy Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Spring Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a B&B to celebrate our 12th yr wedding anniversary. He was a bit skeptical about B&B b/c he thought a young couple such as us needed to be closer to the "City life". But this was truly a choice that neither of us regrets. The staff was wonderful because they were friendly, accommodating and truly made us feel "at home". And the room we stayed in was absolutely what we needed! Getting in late at night and being able to relax in the jacuzzi was exactly what I needed on my first night. The porch was so spacious and relaxing that we were able to spend some quality time while enjoying a cup of tea/coffee in the nighttime breeze. Being just a short walking distance to the beach was a plus. It's also great that I can feel comfortable to come back and bring my children on my future trips b/c the staff provided the type of environment that all ages can enjoy. Our experience exceeded what we had imagined it would be.

Room Tip: Rm1 is a definite room for a couple to enjoy a romantic and relaxing getaway.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rozzy30
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to write such a great review. We really do enjoy our guests and hope to see you return again and again. Best wishes from the entire Normandy Inn Staff!
Christine

Reviewed January 5, 2012

New Years Eve 2011 will be a highlight for me for years to come. We stayed here and the service was outstanding! We called ahead to ask about places to eat. Christine (the Owner I think) spent the next 30 minutes calling places to try and get us in. She found several choices and called us back while we drove.

The Room was incredible and the breakfast was beyond excellent. I will definitely be back.

The entire experience was wonderful, from the owner's concierge service to the last bite of the breakfast delicacies.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 109 which has a fireplace... But I doubt there would be a bad room in this wonderf...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve A
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed at the Normandy about 10 years ago and recently got a postcard telling us of winter room discounts. So this year we signed up for 2 days between Christmas and New Year’s, choosing a discounted room (#209) with a large sitting area and gas fireplace (photo), and a king-size bed. The Normandy was decorated in old Victorian style for the holidays with 4 huge Christmas trees on the main floor alone. It was very quiet there in this off-season, which made you want to talk in whispers but otherwise the service was very friendly & good, and the decor was fine for an old Victorian (yes, old and dark inside, but in an appropriate, comfortable way).

They have a large sunny dining room and offer you a menu for breakfast. We had two delicious meals cooked to order (great raisin bread French toast, and poached eggs with wheat toast and corn muffins). Tea, with fresh cake and cookies, was served at 4 pm. We hung out mostly in our sunny room reading, with breaks for walks around the neighborhood gawking at all the huge seaside “cottages.” Even though it was December 30th, it was warm enough to take strolls on the nearby beach, which was a real bonus.

We ate at The Old Mill the first night (at 8:30 the huge place was deserted so no atmosphere, but we had a delicious prix fixe meal) and the walkable Black Trumpet the second night (much better atmosphere but very expensive even with the BYOB). All in all it was an excellent, quiet two-day getaway at the Normandy, even without the use of the house’s grand porch (a little too chilly for that). (Note that Room 209 is a steep climb up two long sets of stairs.)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leklekblue
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My wife Donna and I have been spending September weekends at the Normandy Inn since 1996. We love the relaxing atmosphere, the large, inviting porch, the incredible breakfasts, and especially the gracious hosts.

Our favorite place to stay is the Tower Room - it's like a bed surrounded
by four windows overlooking the ocean and the town.

In all the years that we've stayed here, nothing has really changed, and
that's one of the best things about it. We know we'll have a great time, be
well treated, look forward to those unbelievable pancakes, and afternoon
snacks.

Hope to come back many more times.

Steve and Donna Siegel
Fogelsville, PA

Room Tip: Each has so much individual character, it's best to check them out at the inn's website.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My husband and I just spent a night last week at the Normandy Inn. It was at the end of our daughter's wedding day, and we were exhausted! Room 101, where we stayed, was comfortable and had a lovely porch for relaxing on! It was just what we needed. The inn is filled with interesting and beautiful antiques. The staff was helpful, and everything was quite clean which is important to us! We had a great night's sleep, and in the morning breakfast was bountiful and delicious. I had the chocolate chip pancakes, bacon and an English muffin after being served a homemade muffin and fresh orange juice. Obviously, I could not finish everything, but enjoyed sampling. My husband tried the omelette and found it to be tasty, too. We used to go to the Normandy Inn when our kids were younger, and it was great to go back and find it to still be lovely and comfortable.

The Normandy Inn is only a short walk from the beach. Despite damage from Hurricane Irene to the boardwalk, there is still some boardwalk left and the beach is as wonderful as always. The town of Spring Lake has magnificent houses and darling shops to wander in and out of. We like to go to Sea Girt or Belmar for fresh seafood. Spring Lake has a great pizzaria in the center of town.

The Normandy Inn and Spring Lake, NJ are a lovely place to visit!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2011

staff both on the phone & in person were EXCEPTIONAL
bikes included were a very nice value added amenity.
overall, the place is in dire need of cleaning & revamping. pictures on walls were very creepy. THICK dust all over pictures in rooms and dining room. Dining room was CHAOS.SCREAMING UNDISCIPLINED KIDS & CONFUSED WAITTRESSES ARGUING OVER TABLES. Very limited breakfast menu and any slight deviation led to a big ordeal. This is NOT a place for kids. Our second morning we grabbed a cup of coffee and ate a banana and protein bar on the outside porch that we brought from home . The porch. too, was very unpleasant, as there were ashtrays overflowing with cigarettesh & half smoked cigars. I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank petuniablossom
normandyinn, Owner at Normandy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

Dear Sir/Madame,

I am very sorry that this was your experience and quite honestly am wishing that I could call you direct! I am not sure if you brought your feelings to the attention of my staff while you were here but I do try to directly speak any guest who may not be completely satisfied. My first hope would have been to see if there was something we could do while you were here to make your stay more enjoyable. Here at The Normandy, we do pride ourselves on a rather large sit down, made to order breakfast which is unlike what most inns offer. We are very family friendly and do accept families with children but acknowledge that it our responsibility to manage the tone or environment in our dining room. While we are known for a very peaceful and quiet setting, I am sorry if this was not your experience during your stay. As far as the house itself, yes, it is an old house and one must truly have an appreciation for antiques and architecture from the late 1800's. So, while we are not the Marriott or the Borgata, we do have a certain charm if it is your cup of tea! In terms of cleanliness, I will honestly say this is the first time in ten years that anyone has ever had an issue with this. We get a lot of guests who frequent B&B's and claim ours to be the cleanest! Our housekeeping has been with the inn many years and they too take pride and have a personal interest in our guests. Having said all of this, again, my many apologies. Should you be interested, I would be most happy to speak with you direct and you can feel free to call me at the inn, 732-449-7172. In any event, I do thank you for your candid remarks as it is that which will only help us be better at what we do! Best wishes to you for a Happy New Year in 2012! Regards, Christine Valori, The Normandy Inn

Reviewed September 7, 2011

Everything was lovely: we enjoyed breakfast very much and the afternoon tea(especially the vanilla pudding!). The room was clean and spacious and everybody was very friendly and helpful with our three little kids!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
#2 of 7 in Spring Lake
Sand Pebble Motor Lodge
Sand Pebble Motor Lodge
#3 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach

Been to Normandy Inn? Share your experiences!