“Don't Go Here.”

St. Moritz Grill & Bar
Ranked #4 of 48 Restaurants in Sparta
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Full service restaurant featuring a wood burning grill located in Lake Mohawk. Open 7 days a week lunch and dinner. American style restaurant serving steaks, burgers, fresh fish, and pasta dishes. We also provide as a venue to host private functions such as rehearsal dinners, birthdays, meetings, baby showers, bridal shower, and much more. Happy hour is 7 days a week 4:30-6:30 discounts on food and drink.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place has HUGE management problems, we had a party of six that had made a prior reservation. When we arrived there was an okay atmosphere and it seemed to be nice. Our waitress Alexis asked us had we been there before and so on, explained the place was under new ownership & management, she was actually very nice. We ordered apps and drinks from her and there was no problems, service was kinda slow but it wasn't a problem. We ordered our main course, six of them as there was six of us, waiting, waiting waiting, finally the bus boy shows up with our food, of course the simplest order (my) of fish & over priced chips were missing. The bus boy had no idea and was very apologetic, I told him not to worry & don't worry about. Five minutes in to everybody eating their meal I have some waitress named Rachael telling me the chef burnt my fish & chips and she was gonna have the chef make a new dish from scratch, I told her not to bother as I wanted to eat dinner with my party, she come back with "that's cool" and she takes off. While my friends are eating I decide to take off to the bathroom to freshen up, on my return there was a fish & chip plate sat in front of my chair, Alexis had come over and admitted she had made a mistake and so on and she put the order in anyway after me declining the request. Rachael lied through her teeth. The food was terrible, for a main course that costs $19 to $23 I've ate better at fastfood. Horrible, the "seasoned fries" are disgusting, so over powered with cayenne pepper. We asked for the bill and for our 45 minute venue it cost us $219.79, we asked could we talk to the manager about maybe taking the fish & chips off the bill. When Jimmy the manager arrived he listened to our complaint and said since they're new they're trying to make things right, then tried to sell us the bonus rewards, if we were to spend $300 we get preferencial treatment on birthdays or anniversaries. He told us it was a " no brainer " and we could call him to reserve a table anytime. He just didn't want to resolve the problem. We heard the owner Keith Holmes was on site and we requested to his presence to let him know of our experience. He failed to deal with our problem or experience after putting $219.79 in his register. We done the right thing and tipped Alexis the appropriate amount due to it not being her fault. Over all this place sucks, the manager Jimmy sucks, and so does the owner Keith for sitting at his bar drinking his face off and not dealing with what's going on with his paying customers. We visit our friends in Newton NJ four times a year and are always looking for a good place to spend money and enjoy their hospitality. Unfortunately for them we'll never go back. Just remember Jimmy / Keith, word of mouth spreads.

5  Thank Lang0
Rachel C, Manager at St. Moritz Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Hello Mike,
Thank you for your recent response, again we apologize that you were dissatisfied with your experience here at The Moritz. It seems you were very displeased and I assure you, that is never our intention. I want to apologize for the management team not responding in a way you anticipated; we are in the business to take care of our guests and provide a quality product, anything less than that is not our brand. Mistakes do happen and it is what we do with the mistake that shows our willingness to please & correct said mistakes. We never like to carry things in a negative light so a positive twist on the whole experience had come off as if we didn’t care about your experience which is not our feeling on the matter. Keith, the owner, personally sent you an email with his apology and did come to your table out of concern. I ask for forgiveness that you truly see that we are not out to make a buck but to make a lasting impression on our guests and their experiences.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The menu is limited for my liking so I have only had a few different things from it but all have been great. Filet tips, Chicken Schnitzel and Stovepipe chopped salad are awesome!

2  Thank Didgee
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a great place since they change hands......open and so much more inviting.....food is good and so is the service and the waiters know the menu and that is a plus

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Visited the new St.Moritz for dinner 3 times. Each time I was more disappointed than the last. Raised the prices of the Steaks and lowered the quality. Rib eye was tough and under cooked. The 3 times I ate there, my dinner was brought out literally 2 to 3 minutes after the appetizers. The bus boy offered to take it back to the kitchen and keep it warm. (Sure, I want my wife’s fish under a heat lamp for 15 minutes). The waitress takes your order and then you deal with the bus boy until desert. Brought it to the attention of Keith, the owner, he advised me it was the waitress’ fault and walked away. Just a tip, if you decide to try it on a Friday or Saturday night, ride a bike, the parking is terrible, other establishments in town use their lot as well. And don’t order your dinner until you are served your appetizer. It seems they are under the impression they are a 4 star restaurant, the reality is only the prices are 4 star. The food and service are 2 star.

4  Thank Sueofcourse
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Fantastic restaurant in Lake Mohawk - Sparta area. The restaurant is in the same location as the old St. Moritz but under new management (same that own Redwoods in Chester, NJ). Great overall menu and wine/beer selection.

We ordered the salmon special which was a fantasitc upgrade/value. It came with healthy portion of Copper River King Salmon and the fixings were equally good. Excellent smoky flavor onthe wood-plank grilled salmon. Overall food quality was fantastic.

Wait staff were attentive despite being busy (Friday night - holiday weekend).

Good overall value, but may be a bit pricey for some. Understand most menu items are around $20-30.