“Great update of an old restaurant”

St. Moritz Grill & Bar
Ranked #4 of 46 Restaurants in Sparta
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Full service restaurant featuring a wood burning grill located in Lake Mohawk. Open 7 days a week lunch and dinner. American style restaurant serving steaks, burgers, fresh fish, and pasta dishes. We also provide as a venue to host private functions such as rehearsal dinners, birthdays, meetings, baby showers, bridal shower, and much more. Happy hour is 7 days a week 4:30-6:30 discounts on food and drink.
Hopatcong
“Great update of an old restaurant”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've been going to the St Moritz in Sparta for years. We've always gone for the delmonico steaks that they served but the rest of the menu was pretty good too. Since the new owners have taken over the place feels like it's had a facelift. The food is excellent and they have added interesting choices to the menu like deep fried kale and shrimp and grits. They've given the wine list a face lift as well and the choices are much better.

• Visited March 2013

Southern NJ
“Overpriced and Underseasoned”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have a long history at the St. Moritz. My husband and I had our first date there many years ago when they were serving chateaubriand and the walls were decorated with Alpine type murals. We have eaten there many times while visiting in the summer.

Fast forward 40 years to the new St. Moritz, under new ownership for the past four months. We drove to North Jersey to take my father-in-law out for lunch and visit with him. It was our first and probably last time at the new St. Moritz.

Entree prices were stunningly high--upper twenties for many items. We flipped the menu over to what is supposedly the lighter side. Perhaps in terms of cost, but not in terms of calories! Basically, there were no healthy options. Shrimp and grits, mac and cheese, burger, sausage... We settled on the Caesar salad but asked for wine and vinegar. For $11.99 we got a chicken breast that was well-grilled in that it was moist and plump---but it had absolutely NO seasoning whatsoever. The rest of the salad was a small portion of Romaine with hardly any cheese at all. I looked at the two long, large croutons placed across from each other on the salad....I had never seen a crouton like that--because in fact, it was a sweet biscotti that had been toasted!! Very strange.

Bread did come with the meal,.

Service was generally ok although the server being trained by the other server forgot to bring me my beverage and had to be reminded by the main server, who saw it had not arrived.

We were totally underwhelmed.

4 Thank GreenUnicorn
Sparta, New Jersey
“Great Food, Excellent Service, Open Atmosphere.”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was thoroughly impressed by this restaurant. I've been here a few times and never left unhappy The steaks are a great quality, maybe a little small, but the with the lack of fat on the steak I think you end up getting more bang for your buck. The shrimp and grits are an amazing example of good food prepared right. And the macaroni and cheese with shrimp sounds weird, but I was glad I tried it. The smokey-cheesy flavor is an amazing combination.

The servers that I've met their are lovely people. They always have a smile on their face, and are always pleasant to talk to. Which adds to the happy atmosphere.

Finally, the atmosphere in this restaurant is really amazing. The bright lights, and high ceilings makes the room feel really open.

Needless to say, as long as they keep serving great food and hiring great people, I will definitely be a returning customer again and again.

Sparta
“Overrated and Overpriced”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I have been for drinks here several times and dinner just once. Drinks at the bar are always fine but I think we will stick with that from now on. Dinner was really nothing special, steaks were okay but not worth $28 for a small ribeye. Shrimp was overcooked and portions were small. Also, the reviews on here are not at all what we are hearing from most of our friends and neighbor who have dined here. I have yet to hear a good review from anyone in person. I hope in the future I can change my mind about this place.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank Dee B
New Jersey
“Surprisingly really good food!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We heard about this restaurant through word of mouth and wanted to try something different. We sat down towards the back of the restaurant away from the hustle and bustle of a busy Saturday night. My husband and I shared the calamari jardiniere which was satisfying and tender. Our other guests had the wood grilled shrimp cocktail and sussex apple endive salad - both had solid reviews.

For dinner I tried the catfish that was accompanied with fried kale and cheesy grits. The smoke flavor on the catfish from the wood grill made it a truly delicious meal. My husband had the filet mignon that was cooked perfectly medium in the center. Another order of filet mignon was ordered, along with their Bavarian pork chop. Everyone commented on how good everything tasted. The owner even walked up to our table to see how we enjoyed our meal.

The menu was different and exciting at the same time. I highly recommend giving the St. Moritz a try. We were glad we did!

1 Thank NJSusan-7