“Really fit the bill”

BEST WESTERN The Garden Executive Hotel
Danville, Kentucky
“Really fit the bill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for several days for a college reunion in NYC and it fit the bill perfectly. It is handy to NJ Transit and trains a thirty- or forty-something minutes ride into Penn Station. At $70/night, it was a whole lot cheaper than the city. The rooms are nice and large, the staff courteous and helpful. Restaurants, aptly renowned diners, banks, and other retail outlets are very handy.
Nothing was terribly fancy, but the place is comfortable, reasonable, and fit our bill perfectly.

• Liked — Comfortable
  • Disliked — Can't turn left into hotel. Have to go around the corner and cut thru other properties.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Cometkazie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Quebec City, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

We needed a place to crash for the night and all the accommodations are really expensive in this area so we choose the Best Western since we knew that they generally are a safe choice.

First of all the check-in was a real pain. The guy at the front desk took forever to give me the price of a room and then it took him about 20 minutes to complete the check-in !!! He mumbled something about his system being down and having to verify my credit card manually. Please, complete the check-in and verify later if you want but making the customer stand for 20 minutes while he tries to find a number to call and after that completing the forms manually and extremely slowly was not very professional.

The room was ok. It was clean and they did provided an extra set of towel when we asked. The wireless connexion is not very good but this did not bug me to much.

They do have a great continental breakfast with a lot of choice (pancake, waffles, hard eggs, etc...).

Overall we had a good stay, but the price is really too high and I would expect to pay a lot less so next time I will surf a little to find something cheaper.

• Liked — It was clean.
  • Disliked — The price.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Marco

Travelers are raving about these South Plainfield hotels

Raleigh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2007

I booked to stay for 5 nights while on vacation with my daughter. Among the features I was guaranteed at the time of making a reservation was FREE wireless internet network. Yes...definitely it turned out to be FREE Air. I could breath but there was NO WIRELESS network. I got "VERY LOW" signal strength but managed to connect online 5 minutes every 3 hours. HORRIBLE!! Upon requesting to have my problem addressed, they referred me to call a 1-800-SPEEDLINKS...which apparently turned out to be a ADULT SEX hotline. They informed me it was my duty to call SpeedLinks and have my problem resolved.

I took cold showers in my room the first 3 nights. I complained to have my water checked on a Wednesday night and they came to fix it the following week on Monday night, by then I had packed and was on my way to another hotel. I however made use of my last hot shower before leaving :).

The night before my departure, my daughter had brought to the hotel some left over food from our dinner in a local diner restaurant. We walk up on the morning to find ANTS all over the room and also on the hotel phone. We could not call them and that was the stroke of the trip. We moved to another hotel. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL. SERVICE AT FRONT DESK WAS HORRIBLE, ESPECIALLY BY SOME CHINESE/ORIENTAL HOTEL MANAGER. Customer Service is a whole new concept here.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank pilsnerm
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2007

I like this place. I stayed there 4-5 times while traveling for the Army Reserve. Granted I'm not too fussy about cleanliness while traveling alone, but the rooms were always adequately clean, and being an older hotel, are absolutely HUGE!! Continental breakfast was decent, in a small, clean area, and it's within walking distance to several restauraunts and stores. A great value, if you don't mind an older, dated hotel.

Stayed February 2004
1 Thank DirtFan
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2006

My husband loved this hotel. We thought we were getting 2 full beds but instead we were also given a pull out sofa, fridge and desk. For my big family it was great!. All for the same rate that I was qouted also! Which is why I gave it 4 stars. The breakfast was good if you are trying to save money but don't expect anything too healthy (no bran, whole wheat...). Lots of shopping and restaurants around. Close enough to NYC. My only complaint is it was not very clean. The halls have bits of litter (next to the walls) and when our room was cleaned we did not get any fresh towels. (At least warn me if we are not getting fresh towels.) And the tub was not as clean as I like- but I'll admit I am a neat freak when it comes to bathrooms. On the other hand my husband was very satisfied. Also, It looks like they may be doing renovations- the bath had been updated beautifully but the wallpaper inn the room was peeling in places due to water damage. And our window view was horrible, so I am assuming that they are getting ready to change that?? I would probably stay again if we got the same large room at the same rate.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank travlin'momma
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2005

My Mom and I stayed here when visiting my sister @ Rutgers Univ. The rooms were clean and the breakfast was like pretty much any other continental breakfast in a hotel. The fruit was pretty bad, however it seems to be that way on much of the East Coast.

My only real complaint was that the room was listed as 1 Queen and there was no way that was a Queen size bed. The woman at the front desk tried to tell me that it was a long Queen - as if she could say that because it was longer it was a queen even though it wasn't as wide. I had a queen bed for several years and this was smaller. They did switch us to a room w/ 2 beds the next night for only $5 more (we had booked through Travelocity so I didn't exactly realize that it was only 1 bed - initial listing on travelocity said "standard" - not too descriptive). So if you are traveling with more than 1 person I would reccomend you book the room w/ 2 beds or prepare to be cozy!

All in all not bad for the price.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank pugzmama
Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and it was not what we expected. From the pictures and descriptions on the website we expected friendly staff, a clean room, updated facilities, and a deluxe continental breakfast. The reality was the staff was friendly. However, the draperies in our room had stains on them. The bathtub had stains in it and the bathroom had ants crawling on the floor. The room had the bare minimum. There was no refrigerator or closet door. It had a table with two chairs, the beds, a dresser with the television on it and a night stand with a lamp. For an updated facility it was not impressive. The electrical sockets were hazardous at best. When I tried to plug the iron or my cell phone charger into the room sockets the plugs kept falling out. It did not matter which socket I chose. The border was peeling from the bottom of one wall. The deluxe continental breakfast consisted of doughnuts that were still in the store container and waffles that you pot into the toaster. Juice and cereal were also offered. It was not at all what we expected. The picture of the room on the website makes the room appear to be brighter and cleanier than what our room actually was. Needless to say we were very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank Lynmae75
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Plainfield
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Pis...
#1 of 5 in South Plainfield
Holiday Inn South Plainfield - Piscataway
Holiday Inn South Plainfield - P...
#2 of 5 in South Plainfield
BEST WESTERN Westfield Inn
BEST WESTERN East Brunswick Inn
BEST WESTERN East Brunswick Inn
#3 of 7 in East Brunswick

Been to BEST WESTERN The Garden Executive Hotel? Share your experiences!