“Expect Good Things”

Dining options: Reservations
Bloomfield, New Jersey
“Expect Good Things”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Great food. Great service. Great atmosphere. I've been to other Ethiopian restaurants in South Orange, Montclair, New Brunswick, and New York. This place is one of the best in New Jersey.

This restaurant deserves it's great reviews. My most recent visit was during the summer. My party of five arrived at 6pm and enjoyed nearly 3 hours of beautiful sunlight as we ate and noticed a steady stream of couples, families, and friends. As we talked and drank champagne (BYOB) we enjoyed the meat sambusas as an appetizer. Very tasty. They remind me a little of empanadas or Jamaican patties except there was no curry. We enjoyed the shrimp, a spicy lamb dish, beef tibs, collard greens, string beans, and lentils. Considering three of my companions had to be convinced to come (all of them over 50), I was amazed at the clean plates. "I'm surprised I like it" my girlfriend said. "It was better than I expected" my Puerto Rican friend conceded.

You can expect many good things from Lalibela.

NJ
“Always Delicious/Always fixes my tummy”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I will start with, that I want more places like this to exist. I almost did not write this review, because Lalibela don't need more praise...lot of it on Yelp. But I have to give my two cents in. Eevry single time we came, it was special. I am not sure whether it is my love for Ethiopian food and communal eating in part, but this place is special. Only other place this tasty is Kaffa Crossing in Philadelphia, which is just soooo far for us. We tried many other places, all in NYC, and none of them come this close to tasty, home made flavors and quality. You see, sometimes, too much spices make Ethiopian food taste bitter, harsh, too spicy. But this place gets it right every time...

On top of the deliciousness, every single time I stuff my face, and I never feel sick or fat the next day. Many times I came into the restaurant with heartburn, but this injera always fixes me right up.

Good, delicious, healthy!!!

• Visited May 2014
Springfield, New Jersey
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We are regulars at this restaurant and love it! The food is always fresh and tasty and the wait staff is very friendly. The only suggestion is to try to avoid it on a busy Friday or Saturday evening as it is a small place that fills up quickly.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Stacey G
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It was great”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I went there with some friends and I had a great time. The server was extremely nice and knowledgable about the food. He was extremely helpful on choosing the meal I had explaining Ethiopian culture. Will def come back!

• Visited September 2013
Maplewood, NJ
“Consistently Good Food”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We go to Lalibela a lot -- ethnic food is our thing, and Ethiopian food is near the top of the list. The quality of the food is consistently good -- savory, tasty, and mouthwatering. Servings are generous, and the wait staff is very friendly.

Visited March 2014