“Very good..but...”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Very good..but...”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I agree with many of the others that the food is very good to excellent. Ambiance not so great, (who cares, I'm not there to pick out wallpaper), but the service is helpful and extremely pleasant. Here's the problem..as of the 1st of the year they have a liquor license, AND raised their pricing. (Perhaps to pay for the license? Poor idea.)
To stay around, they will have to lower their drink pricing and/or their entree pricing, which go up to $34.50 a la carte. I hope adjustments are made, I would like to see this place be successful, but I think the overall tariff is a little steep.

• Visited January 2014

silver spring
“Great meal in a hidden location”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We debated a long time as to where to eat and am I glad we came with Mare. It's a bit hard to find - ok, more than a bit. Even the GPS got lost. But what a great meal we had.

Mare is an Italian restaurant and it's a seafood restaurant. It manages the blend very nicely, while also offering more traditional Italian meat dishes. The strip mall setting and the modest dining room don't do justice to the wonderful and equally wonderful service.

I had the seafood stew. While the seafood itself was not outstanding, the sauce was incredibly good. My dining partner had the haddock and enjoyed it very much.

Wine was reasonably priced and service was great. In fact, our server, Ingrid, ranks amongst the best servers at any restaurant.

Definitely the place to eat in South Brunswick.

• Visited November 2013
Kingston, NY
“Excellent Meal Off the Beaten Path”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Beaten Path being Route 1. Even had our GPS stumped. But the search was worth it. Mare is a modest restaurant almost invisible in a small strip plaza. As its name reveals, it is Italian with an above average emphasis on seafood. Two of us dining and each of us sang its praises all the way back to our Route 1 hotel. Or maybe it was the wine singing, there was a reasonable selection of wines from which to choose. One of us dined on their signature haddock, the other a shellfish offering with pasta. Extremely well prepared and tasty. Desserts were also worthy of the additional calories. On the service side, It almost seems unfair to single out our server, Ingrid. As much as we appreciated and enjoyed her, all the neighboring tables also seemed to be bonding with their respective servers. An ideal evening in the South Brunswick/Princeton resion of New Jersey.

• Visited November 2013
Monroe Twp, NJ
“Best Place for Seafood in NJ”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were highly recommended to Mare by a friend and were not disappointed. Top notch service, fresh fish and excellent quality. The Haddock was fresh and delicious. I had chicken & shrimp francese. The chicken did not have to be cut with a knife, just like butter. My husband had Zuppa de Pesce and received a very large and cooked to perfection dish with plenty left over to bring home. In fact, we all had enough food left over to bring home. The gelato is imported from Italy and of superior taste and quality. The lemoncello gelato was too good made with real lemoncello.
A totally great dining experience, I can't say enough great things about this cozy, user friendly place and homey atomsphere.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank JM1313MonroeTwp_NJ
New Jersey
“very good seafood”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife had the corn n shimp soup which was excellent n she loved the haddock which she finished the next night.I dont eat fish so i had the steak which came out raw which was sent back n two minutes later came back out RAW i dont understand u cant cook a steak in two min but the taste was good otherwise Service was great but the cook only knows fish

2 Thank Philc2020