“You Just Know It is Going to be Good!”
Review of Costa Verde

Costa Verde
Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in South Amboy
Cuisines: Portuguese
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I cannot believe that I have not reviewed this restaurant sooner! We have been here more times that I can count. It is within walking distance of relatives of ours, so every visit to them is an excuse (not that we need one) to eat here.

I don't know about you, but if I walk in an ethnic restaurant and hear a number of patrons speaking the language of the cuisine I get a good feeling. If you come here at lunch and eat at the bar you will experience this. Oh, if you try to get a parking space at "prime time" you may have a problem, but, trust me it is worth the wait!

My wife and I have had numerous items on the menu including lunch items, specials and regular items, and I cannot recall when we did not leave happy and satisfied, and most times with a doggie bag. The latest trip was for lunch. Luckily it was a late lunch and we did not have dinner plans for later! I ordered the mixed grill special which included cutlets of pork, veal and chicken that were thin or pounded down thin. It was served over rice along with veggies and what appeared like kettle chips. My wife had the baked crab cakes (4 of them) with chips and rice. You also get a generous portion of delicious bread. As usual we thoroughly enjoyed it.

We ate at the bar, and the lunch bartenders have been there it seems forever. Some speak Portuguese, and they are serving many regular customers. It is noisy most times, but we enjoy the spirited atmosphere of the bar when we eat lunch here. At times we have been to the dining room as well, but we always seem to gravitate here. We don't do the bar scene very much, but if I lived here I am sure we would enjoy the scene here on a regular basis, and if you drive by late on a Friday you will see that we would have a lot of company!

Prices are certainly more than fair for what you get, and the staff is usually busy, but they are also very friendly and helpful in case you want to experiment like I do.

Needless to say we will continue to come here. If you are a local you probably know about this place, and if you are passing through don't hesitate to stop.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Awesome place to spend sometime especially at the bar. They have a great formal dining room. Great place for both Portugese food and seafood as well. Great service and massively large quantities. great prices too!!!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I went for dinner tonight because we received gift certificates for Christmas. We went around 7pm, and were 1 of only 5 table filled in the dining room, but to be fair, the NFC championship football game was on in the bar and there were plenty of people eating in there. The wait staff was very attentive, taking our drink order and bringing bread fairly quickly. The bread was good, but it might have been nice warmed up a little. We ordered the sangria because it was highly recommended and it did not disappoint. My husband ordered stuffed mushroom for an appetizer, and I had the friend calamari. Both we very good, and served hot which I always appreciate! For the entree, my husband had the filet mignon with mushroom sauce. It came with yellow rice, mixed vegetables, and portuguese potatoes. The filet was huge. I ordered the paella. It too was a giant pot filled with rice, seafood, chicken, choizo, and I think pork. Delicious. We both had to get doggie bags! For dessert, my husband had the rice pudding, and I had the tiramisu. The dessert portions are small, but after such a meal I don't think you need bigger! We splurged a little because of the gift certificate, but we both agreed we would go back again!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Good food, good Sangria, decent prices. My only complaint is beware of going here on a Friday or Saturday night because they get really crowded and they pack people into the dining room. There is barely room to push out your chair in the restaurant.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The best restaurant, bar , in the area.
The staff is more than friendly. The food is great.
It has the best calamari, even in the N.Y.C. area. The oil is Always fresh.
Stop by... It is mor that worth your while..