“Fine French and Thai Food in Somerville”
Review of Origin

Origin
Ranked #3 of 85 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: French, Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2012

One of the best restaurants in the Somerville area. Continental and Asian cuisine. A bit noisy and busy, but good service.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a great casual place with amazing food. A friend of mine suggested the soft shell crab and he was right on. It had so much flavor, I couldn't decide what part I liked best. I also had the escargot appetizer which was done to perfection and should be your first attempt at snails if you've never tried them. I owned an award-winning fine-dining restaurant for 5 years and I am an adventurous foodie and this was probably the best food I've had in NJ.
My girlfriend had the Gra Praw and she loved it. It had the perfect amount of spice without being too hot. We ate outside on the newly created pedestrian mall where there was a two-piece band playing music all night.
Its also a BYOB, so the bill was easy to handle. Definitely try this place!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Their staff is very friendly. The food is consistently good. Its better than Thai kitchen as of lately. The seasoning is good, never too hot unless it's by request. BYOB - another bonus! It's nice to take advantage of the outside seating in the summer!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We went to Origin for the first time after a nice afternoon walk in Duke Gardens (a 5 minute drive away). The food was very flavorful and fresh. We really enjoyed the mussels with lemongrass & Thai basil - flavorful with a bit of heat in the background. Their vegetarian rolls were also very tasty and light, presented like sushi. The best dish was a special of the day, a whole bronzino fish served with sofrito and a mild curry, served over sauteed brocolini, with red rice on the side. It was really savory and moist. We finished with their chocolate cake souffle, which was served with coffee ice cream... Will definitely return.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Make reservations, as the place is packed (there's a key for you). Parking in downtown Somerville is a pain, so budget time for ditching the car. It's BYO, we brought a mild chard that worked nicely. I don't quite agree that Origin is "romantic." The decor and the lighting work, but when I want romantic, I want QUIET, and this was the loudest restaurant experience I can remember (which, btw, was quite fun). Service was borderline "Did they lose our order?" The food was really first rate, cooked to perfection, spice was toned down for us American sissies, portions were ample. There is a section of the menu that is, in fact, French, complete with roasted chicken. But why on earth would you come to a place like this and order roasted chicken?

1  Thank Kenneth P