“Nothing special, more ambiance than quality food”

Yutaka Hibachi Steak House & Sushi Bar
Ranked #50 of 85 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This place looks great when you walk in, but looks can deceive. Food is just average and service just ok. There's much better sushi in Somerville. This isn't it.

2  Thank vankalen

Reviewed January 28, 2012

Don't waste your time here for sushi. It's a hibachi with sushi on the side.

2  Thank WirePaladin
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We do love going here for Sushi as the food is always much better than any other hibachi we have had but the sushi is not great. Several times I have sent the sushi back. The place is very loud on the weekend so if you are going out for a quite evening, pick a day during the week. Even for lunch is great because it is about half the price.

1  Thank FAITHamc
Reviewed December 4, 2011

A superb Japanese steak house and sushi bar. Decor is unmatched, the food is brilliant, the sushi the absolute best anywhere. Try the Sudhi Bullet and Lobster Mango Roll. A great escape and perfect experience. Every thing else in town is bad pizza, pub food, and microwave crap. Treat yourself to this excellence.

1  Thank travelinman47
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Very poor dining experience due to one of the two entrees ordered being served almost 40 minutes after the first entree was placed on the table! I've never experienced such unconcern for the customer's dining experience in a restaurant before. Our waiter came to our table several times to apologize for the delay. With his last visit, he reported that the chef had only just started pan-frying the Chilean Sea Bass that my wife had ordered more than one hour earlier! In the interim, we had an appetizer, soup, and salad. No problem there. When my entree was served (incomplete, since it was missing the noodles), I assumed that my wife's would be served momentarily, along with the noodles to make my dinner complete. Ten minutes later, I was served the noodles, but was told that there was a delay in the kitchen. A portion of Yutaka is devoted to hibachi tables, and I can only surmise that all chefs left the kitchen to cook at the hibachi tables, so no one was left to pan fry the sea bass for a few minutes. It seems the decision was made to devote a chef to the 5 or 6 customers at a hibachi table, rather than serve us in a timely manner. As my wife and I picked at my dinner which was growing cold, our waiter murmured that the delayed entree would be 1/2 price. I indicated that was not good enough to make up for this extreme inconvenience. Sadly, the check arrived (on time), but with just the inadequate compensation of one entree at 1/2 price. I understand that there can be uncontrollable emergencies in a restaurant which would impact the staff's ability to perform up to par. This situation seemed to be one of poor planning and allocation of resources, and management's decision to allow a terrible dining experience for some customers (namely my wife and I). It is unlikely that we will ever return.

2  Thank raw_zagat