“Finest Restaurant in Somerville Everyone else in not even close”

Yutaka Hibachi Steak House & Sushi Bar
Ranked #28 of 84 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2011

A superb Japanese steak house and sushi bar. Decor is unmatched, the food is brilliant, the sushi the absolute best anywhere. Try the Sudhi Bullet and Lobster Mango Roll. A great escape and perfect experience. Every thing else in town is bad pizza, pub food, and microwave crap. Treat yourself to this excellence.

1  Thank travelinman47

Reviewed January 18, 2011

Very poor dining experience due to one of the two entrees ordered being served almost 40 minutes after the first entree was placed on the table! I've never experienced such unconcern for the customer's dining experience in a restaurant before. Our waiter came to our table several times to apologize for the delay. With his last visit, he reported that the chef had only just started pan-frying the Chilean Sea Bass that my wife had ordered more than one hour earlier! In the interim, we had an appetizer, soup, and salad. No problem there. When my entree was served (incomplete, since it was missing the noodles), I assumed that my wife's would be served momentarily, along with the noodles to make my dinner complete. Ten minutes later, I was served the noodles, but was told that there was a delay in the kitchen. A portion of Yutaka is devoted to hibachi tables, and I can only surmise that all chefs left the kitchen to cook at the hibachi tables, so no one was left to pan fry the sea bass for a few minutes. It seems the decision was made to devote a chef to the 5 or 6 customers at a hibachi table, rather than serve us in a timely manner. As my wife and I picked at my dinner which was growing cold, our waiter murmured that the delayed entree would be 1/2 price. I indicated that was not good enough to make up for this extreme inconvenience. Sadly, the check arrived (on time), but with just the inadequate compensation of one entree at 1/2 price. I understand that there can be uncontrollable emergencies in a restaurant which would impact the staff's ability to perform up to par. This situation seemed to be one of poor planning and allocation of resources, and management's decision to allow a terrible dining experience for some customers (namely my wife and I). It is unlikely that we will ever return.

2  Thank raw_zagat
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I've been here several times, sometimes in the tatami room or out in the dining area. You will receive better service if you're seated in the tatami room. I've never been seated directly at the hibachi. The food is great, service is usually good, and it has a nice atmosphere with normal Japanese restaurant pricing.

Reviewed September 24, 2009

I love this resturant for their SHRIMP FRIED RICE. It is absolutely to die for!!!! i drive from NY just to get their Shrimp fried rice. Their Teriyaki Chicken and Shrimp Teriyaki are EXCELLENT too.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook