“Modern Greek” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
New Jersey
“Modern Greek”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had dinner there on a lark and was very pleasantly surprised. The food is modern, definitely Greek and delicious. The menu is not huge, but well thought out, with enough vegetarian options to satisfy the pickiest veggie. Their taramosalata is the best I've had in a long time, and I was glad to have ordered the Marouni Cheese Croquettes - an airy cheese mousse enrobed in various chopped nuts and presented with figs in a balsamic reduction. The avgolemono and phyllo wrapped shrimp were just perfect, according to my hubby, who proceeded to eat every stitch of food placed in front of him. Best to be hungry, portions don't look large, but are very much so. Service is maybe a tad too friendly and the place more than a tad too loud. Nothing to keep us from going back soon.

• Visited February 2013

Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Cant wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went for my second time last night as a late valentines day dinner- Food and service was amazing as usual! We were seated immediately and greeted with two smiley servers (one was training). They served a beet spread for starters which was delicious! My husband also ordered a set of three dips as an appetizer (all fantastic) and meatballs which came out with way more then we had expected (never a complaint!) The entrees were delicious as well and they were happy to wrap up our leftovers so that I could eat it again all weekend. Food is reasonably priced and it is BYOB which also is a nice bonus...Cant wait to go back in the summer when you can sit outside!

• Visited February 2013
New York City, New York
“Decent food but service lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Previously visited Kyma with a group of 6 friends and had a wonderful meal and service. Wanted to share this experience with my husband. When I called for a reservation I was told that I couldn't have one but show up and the wait would be between 15 and 30 minutes. We arrived at exactly the time we wanted the reservation and were asked if we had one! Told the wait would be 30 minutes but it was actually 15. The service was definitely frantic. Only one busboy for 5 waiters who were all running with order. We ordered the special mezze which was a delicious plate of roasted veges, feta and another hard cheese. Surprised we weren't given any pita to soak up the olive oil. My husband ordered the branzini which was also a special but was told it was sold out so he went with the dorado. The fish was good - not outstanding. Also ordered lemon chicken soup which was wonderful and spanakopita which was acceptable. Had to flag down busboy for water refills. Will we try again - maybe.

• Visited January 2013
Lebanon, New Jersey
1,085 restaurant reviews
“Second time a charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I went here with a group of friends in April and wrote a negative review because the service was horrible. I went again - 8 of us - and there was no sign of bad service. Indeed, service was excellent - felt compelled to upgrade their rating. I had also mentioned last review that there was no lamb on the menu. There was yesterday - a nice lamb shank over orzo. The lamb was nice, the pasta was a bit too tomato'y to me. But we had 5 of them - and everyone enjoyed. The best dish has to be the skewered chicken - huge chunks, great value. Soup was again very good. We let waiter chose a set of apps for use. He brought a bunch of dips with pita - most all very good, then sausage wrapped with lamb skin, and calamari. Sausage was excellent. As if we had not had enough we had the pistachio mastic gelato - which was very unusual (good) and a chocolate crepe. They comp'ed us some baklava - which was nice of the house. I can now recommend going!

• Visited December 2012
mountainside,new jersey
“kyma.gourmet Greek restaurant/upscale mediterranean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

The decor is inviting and we were seated immediately even on a busy Saturday evening. Our waiter was knowledgeable and informative about the menu with very good suggestions leading all of us to the right choices.

The appetizer of three delicious spreads with plenty of good pita bread was very satisfying, but we still managed to lick our plates after the main course of scallops wrapped in strands of phyllo dough ,grouper and a whole deboned delicious whole fish.. Unfortunately we had no more room for dessert but I'm sure it would have been delicious as well. We can't wait to return.

• Visited December 2012