“Comic Con Nighmare”

DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Room/Amenities were fine. Staff was ok...probably just overworked. The 3K kids staying there for a gaming convention were a nightmare. Great kids, but for most probably first night away from their parents. They were up all night. Felt like I was back in college. No problem with booking the gaming event but keep it separate from other guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Troy R
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. The event you described was the first time that we hosted this event. In hindsight, I do agree that we could have done things differently that would have served all guests in the hotel in a better manner. We have already taken steps to improve how we did certain things and that will definitely help us for the next time that they are with us. Thank you for your honest and professional feedback and for taking the time to write us. I appreciate your comments very much.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

The hotel as a whole is excellent. A beautiful lobby, courteous and friendly service, really nice housekeeping, and the complimentary cookie was a warm welcome. The hotel room I received was very presentable as well as clean and nothing was out of place. I give it my recommendation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Our goal at the DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset is make every guests stay with us a comfortable one. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to serve you again very soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed here New Years Eve because I had a party in New Brunswick. Very good price for NYE, staff was helpful and took care of car service for us also helped out when we needed to add a room because friends couldn't drive home.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff was able to assist you with your other needs. Thank you for spending New Year's Eve with us and we hope to serve you again very soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We were in New Jersey for the NY/NJ Golf Show at the Garden State Exhibition Center and stayed at the DoubleTree in Somerset. Conveniently located within walking distance of the Exhibition Center. If you have an event there or are attending as a visitor, the hotel is very close by. Parking is plentiful and easy. The hotel is very clean and well kept and the front desk personnel are friendly and helpful. The hotel has a restaurant and bar area where you can eat also --the food was excellent as was the service. There aren't too many good restaurants close by. The shower/bathtub drain backed up a little while showing, needs a little Drano, and we let the front desk know. All in all, would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you very much for your comments and thank you for choosing the DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with the hotel staff. We hope to see you again next year. Thank you.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

As a hotel employee that stays on the road for golf shows I know that every hotel does the best they can but two years in a row of poor quality is all I can take. I was pleased the first night check in went well besides the hundreds of gamers running around the hotel.got to the room appeared clean I was pleased with everything but my clock was an hour off and I could not figure out how to set it, called the desk they said they would send someone up to take care of it but by 11pm I decided to say screw it and just use my phone as a alarm. Woke up the next day to take a shower when I grabbed the towel another persons tooth brush came flying at me. I left a note for housekeeping to please remove it and fix the clock and came back to the tooth brush and the note still there untouched. I went down to the desk with the note and the tooth brush to complain I didn't want a refund or anything I just wanted the problem corrected! The front desk clerk on Saturday night was very nice and apologetic and contacted the manager on duty who called me and said they would take care of the clock and leave me a breakfast voucher for my trouble! I came back to my room very late and there was no voucher to be found! After a weekend of constant problems moving around the hotel because there was thousands of children, elevators not working right and a bunch of little problems I was looking forward to leaving. My Co worker had a very serious billing problem at check out and the gentlemen and the desk was rude about our one room not getting the group rate which I feel was the very least they could do after all of the issues we had! No one even seemed to care that this was all happening and I think this hotel is lacking serious communication skills between it's employees. This is my last year I am done we will be taking our business else where next year!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ambergockley

I do apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. My staff not following up on the two requests that you had simply is not acceptable. I am sorry about the elevator challenges. I did have 1 cab out for necessary repairs that was due to be back in service just prior to this past weekend, but the crew ran into some other difficulties that delayed it going back into service. I am truly sorry for what you went through and I do hope that you will reconsider your decision in finding alternate lodging for next years North Coast Golf event. Thank you for letting me know what you encountered during your stay.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed with this hotel on business for several years now while working the North Coast Golf Shows in the expo center. I come from the hospitality business (sales and marketing director for a hotel in PA) and am rather disappointed at this hotel's lack of hospitality.

The hotel was (or at least seemed to be) completely book--which, good for them. I have no complaints regarding that..... but they had one working elevator for hundreds of rooms. I and my coworker were on the 5th floor and were taking the stairs...but hey, I guess I got some exercise in. I was willing to overlook it. Things happen, I get it.

My coworker took a shower in the morning, pulled her towel off the rack and someone used toothbrush hit her in the face. Fowl. Instead of taking it to the desk right away, she left a note with the toothbrush fir housekeeping just to let them know of the situation. We were not trying to "get our money back"... just wanted to let it be known. When we returned from work the note and toothbrush were still sitting on the desk.

She took the situation to the desk, fully knowing it clearly wasnt the clerks fault. She was very nice, took our name and number and had the MOD call her. He just apologized and said he would leave a voucher (for their unbelievably expensive) breakfast.

No voucher was left in her room....which, honestly, we wouldnt have used it anyway. We checked out in the morning and only one of our rooms was charged the show rate. I brought this to the attention of the arrogant man in a suit in the morning and basically told me well that is how whoever booked it for you booked it. After having an already sour experience, this mans attitude was uncalled for. We spent money in the pub, we had two rooms, stayed too nights.... yet he refused to adjust the error. I said nothing and walked away knowing Trip Advisor can be a hotel's best friend or worst nightmare..... and by looking at their reviews, I am going to say it is the latter. I will NEVER stay here again and you can be sure the rest of the expo knows about this experience. You just lost out to the Holiday Inn.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. I do sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you encountered during your stay. The items that you share in your review were indeed passed on to us by another reviewer. I am in the process of going through the areas that the hotel did not perform up to my expectations and they are being addressed with the appropriate departments and managers so we can ensure we are better prepared in the future. The group that you mentioned in your review was the first time that we hosted them. That is by no means an excuse for the issues that you encountered, but we will learn from it and then focus on improving our preparedness and service delivery to all guests for all future similar events. Thank you for taking the time to share with me your experiences and I hope you do provide us the opportunity to make up for this past stay in the future.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Everything was great! The beds were so comfortable! Breakfast was great! The prices in the store were a little high, but the store was nice! Enoch was a very nice gentlemen and helped with all my questions! and when I was checking out Alexandra was such a sweetheart, she actually held a conversation with me. My overall experience was a 10 :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel. Thank you for taking your time to share your comments. It was especially gratifying to read about your interactions with Alexandra and Enoch being so positive. I will be sure to share your comments with them. Thank you for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Somerset Hotel and we hope to see you again soon.