“cheap glorified campsite - but full of disease”

DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Vermont, Australia
“cheap glorified campsite - but full of disease”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

the hotel is cheap - and you get what you pay for --- as this hotel is relatively dirty and has mold and camoflagued dirt everywhere. The water is rusty - the microwaves leak and are dangerous and DONT EVEN THINK OF USING THE COFFEE MAKERS -- as i personally saw a cleaning lady clean one in the toilet with toilet water. The managers LIE --- and the outdoor pool is like a hot tub -88 degrees -- the indoor pool had diapers and feces in it --- and the carpet smelled like pee.

Room Tip: some of the rooms on the upper floors are cleaner and do not have that musty odor --- but be careful...
1 Thank gregg m
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the issues that you encountered. I will share your feedback with my staff so we can improve our cleanliness. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
sarasota FL
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a high traffic hotel for conventions and weekend weddings. Everything is beaten up and old. My room was just passable although I found a few bugs on floor and former white towels were gray. No part of this hotel is really clean... Every floor had dust against baseboards where not vacuumed. Air conditioning not on in some meeting rooms during a heat wave. Front desk lightly staffed and not professional. The one exception was the food and bar service,,,, very decent.

Room Tip: I don't know of any....
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank susieflorida
Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for your stay and the expereince that you had. I'm hopeful that you brought these shortcomings to the attention of a hotel manager that would have been able to address these items for you. If you were unable to, I will be sure to address these items with my staff. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Somerset hotels

Mercerville,
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This particular chain of Hilton Hotels is by far better than my last Hilton Executive (something) Hotel in E. Brunswick NJ. Anyway this Hotel's staff were very pleasant people..My experience was with the clerk named Mike he handled me with the utmost professional care which I appreciated; and should be treated. thanks Mike. I saw a Mgr walking around & I had to tell him about Mike that is how much I was impressed. The bedding was comfortable, the temperature was pleasant, clean lobby & hotel.their buffet breakfast was typical but was also very good and hot the way it should be. The coffee & jiuce server was a polite and courteous gentlemen. His uniform was pristene. Very professional which also means a lot to me. The KofC had a dinner for the members attend this seminar and the dinner was very warm when it arrived at my table, which I was surprised, but very grateful, it was delicious too. Especially for feeding approximately 200-250 Grand Knights at dinner. All I heard were Good compliments on the meal. I would go there again without any doubt.
Bob Lecato
Mercerville, NJ 08619

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. I will be sure to pass them on to Mike along with the rest of the staff. It is always our pleasure to host the K of C events at the hotel. We truly enjoy serving you and thank you for selecting us to host this very special event. Thank you again.
Whippany, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

As father of the bride I was completely embarrased and dissatisfied. The hotel promised unlimited shuttle buses to/from the venue and they didn't deliver. The driver used offensive language and was unprofessional. When I asked to speak to a manager I was ignored! When I finally did speak to a manager, he didn't follow up as promised either.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Ron S
Thank you for your feedback. I wanted to assure you that this is being addressed. It is not our wish to have a guest experience as yours. I am truly sorry for the failing to meet your expectations.
londonderry, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This trip is not easy for my husband and I. We often come down to NJ to visit my elderly Mother and my husbands elderly parents. Having a comfortable place to rest at the end of the day is very important to us. This hotel does that for us. It's conveniently located. It's very clean. It has a very nice breakfast with a great variety of choices and we get a great night sleep!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your comments and thank you for choosing the DoubleTree. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. I will be passing your comments on to the staff. Thank you again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just tried to check in for wedding, reservation made 6 weeks ago. We arrived at 2.45, it is now 4.05 and we finally got room after speaking to the desk manager who while trying not to smile at my annoyance, got us a room immediately. The person waiting for her room for 30 min, beside me got her room comped, I guess I wasnt angry enough. One of our party who booked a room with a crib 8 weeks ago was told they were all gone. What is the point of reserving a room or crib if they are not honored. I definitely would not recommendthis hotel for a major function as we have 18 rooms for this wedding and half of the people had problemswith check in or room reservations. We are not letting the inconvience ruin in celebration but it is very annoying . Clearly this group on duty today is not up to managing a large function.

Room Tip: Good if you have time for mistakes, maybe vacation, but not if you have an organized event depending...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the issues you personally encountered, as well as others in your wedding party. The hotel was completely prepared for all of our guest's arrival this past weekend, so what you experienced is completely unacceptable. Thank you for letting me know so that I may address it.
Lake George, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2013

let me start off by saying that we have stayed here 3 times in the past 6 or 7 years & it's always been great but...our last stay was absolutely hands down HORRIBLE. i don't know if all doubletrees have changed their beds but i remember the beds being extremely comfortable...not this time...it was awful...i woke up with aches...we had to keep the air conditioner on the lowest setting (like 60) for it to cool the room & the compressor turning on & off all nite kept waking me up...the fan in the bathroom did nothing for the steam from the shower which was either extremely hot or cool...the shower also didn't drain properly & i was ankle deep...the shower curtain smelled liked mold...when we complained to the front desk they offered to move us to a different room which would have been acceptable except before we moved i decided to take the kids to the pool which was a fiasco...the indoor pool was FILTHY...so cloudy i couldn't see the bottom & there was scum floating on top including a bandaid...when we complained this time to the manager his response was that he was going to tell the maintenance crew & to try the outdoor pool...even though it was raining i decided to give it a try but there was no dry area to put our belongings & no towels at all... the breakfast buffet was good although the service (clearing dishes & getting drinks) was slow even though there were only 3 tables occupied...we checked out a day early cause i couldn't take it anymore...needless to say i won't be paying for the stay & we'll never be back again!!!

Room Tip: whatever u do do not choose 474
1 Thank rngrblu9
Thank you for your response. I sincerely apologize for the issues that you encountered. What you encountered is not our standard, and has not been what you have come to expect from us from your previous visits to the hotel. I do not know if you spoke to a hotel representative to share all these issues with while at the hotel. If you did, I would trust that they would have done what was needed to satisfy you for what you encountered. Thank you again for your feedback.