“The Nightmare on Atrium Drive!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The Nightmare on Atrium Drive!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Let me begin by stating that I am a Hilton Honors member. I stayed here with a group of friends the weekend of Feb 15-17 to attend a function. 2 weeks before our scheduled arrival, I received an email asking me if I wanted to upgrade to a jr suite for $5 less than the rate I was paying or a patio room for $5 more than what I was paying. I promptly replied within a 2hour time frame that yes I wanted a patio room. I received an email confirming my request as well as my request for 2 extra towels and 2 extra pillows. When I made the initial reservation I also requested a fridge. A few days before our arrival, I called the hotel to confirm my reservation for the patio rooms and I was told that they were all taken and none were available. WHY DO YOU SEND ME AN EMAIL OFFERING ME SOMETHING THAT YOU KNOW YOU DON'T HAVE? I checked in and went up to our rooms on the 5th floor. Getting off the elevator I saw huge bags of trash, piles of dirty laundry and room service trays left in the hallway at 4:00 in the afternoon.The smell, I thought I walked onto the Carnival ship Triumph that was stranded in the Gulf of Mexico for five days. I walked past the piles of trash and dirty laundry to get to my room. I found a small room, the closet the size of a Ritz cracker box, no extra towels pillows or fridge either. Good thing I cancelled the fresh fruit plate cheese plate and plate of chocolate covered strawberries because I would not have had a place to keep them chilled. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE FRIDGE I REQUESTED AND NEVER RECEIVED! I called the front desk again requesting extra towels pillows and the fridge. The front desk person told me they were running out of fridges but the extra towels and pillows would be delivered shortly. Never saw any of those items the entire weekend. The only convenient place to charge cellphones, iPods iPads etc was in the bathroom and everyone knows that electronics and water do not mix well. There was no Internet anywhere in the hotel. That evening when I went to bed and tried to go to sleep, I could hear someone snoring from what sounded like the hallway. The walls are paper thin and between the snoring and the doors slamming, I got very little sleep that night. Saturday morning housekeeping knocks on the door and just walks in. I said one moment please as I was in the bathroom but no she just walked right in. I went downstairs to grab some breakfast which was good by the way. Then I went back to the room to take a nap as I did not get much sleep the night before. I passed the housekeeping cart who was at the room next to mine and said "excuse me may I have two extra towels please I did not get them yesterday. This woman flew out of the room, checked to make sure that I only took two towels and looked at me like I stealing them! Went to my room and had trouble with my key. It took me about 20 swipes to get the door open. The housekeeper in the room next to me had no problem being the towel Nazi but when it came to helping me get in my room do you think she would come out and help me or at least call the front desk? Yes I guess I must have been been delusional from lack of sleep to think somebody at that hotel would actually do their job.
Saturday night brought a whole new nightmare experience. A member of our group lost her drivers license and cash. Some incredibly honest person turned everything in to the front desk. Thank you so much honest person! During our search I went to the front desk and explained the situation and asked the front desk clerk if there was anything turned in for this person. The front desk clerk would not give us any information at first. The front desk clerk would not give us any information. I gave him her name and pleaded with him to just tell us if something was there for her. After quite the go around he finally told us that there was something there for her. What a relief! I did not expect him to give the items to me me as he did not know me and I told him that. I just wanted to know if there were items there for her so we did not have to look any further. We texted our friend and told her that her items were at the desk and this is the point where everything gets really bad. I will not mention the desk clerks name because he has my info as well as my friends and I do not want to live in fear of retaliation over this incident.
My friend went down to the front desk. She gave the desk clerk her name, address and zip code that was on her drivers license. I do not know what exactly transpired at the desk, but our friend came back up to the room in tears and that the desk clerk gave her a really hard time of things and she stated that " he would not stop fondling her money".at one point she requested the police be called at which time the desk clerk finally gave her her license and money. Our friend was so upset and traumatized by the treatment and actions of this desk clerk, she called her husband to come and pick her up. She left the hotel at 4:00 in the morning. In hindsight she should have had one of us go down to the desk with her. But did the desk clerk really have to upset her to the point where she is crying and leaving the hotel at 4 in the morning? This whole situation could have been handled so much better than what it was
Sunday morning I get a call at around 9:00am requesting my presence at the front desk in reference to the situation that happened earlier that morning. OK I will be down as soon as I get up. I did not get to bed until 5:00am because I was wound up and seven shades of angry over what happened earlier that morning. Two nights of not sleeping well and through in all the frustration over the whole weekend and you have the mix for an unhappy camper. I went down to the front desk with another friend for support in case things got ugly.i spoke with the asst manager , Matthew. We had a very cordial conversation about what happened early Sunday morning. Matthew had advised me that the desk clerk had been counseled over the situation and Matthew wanted to contact our friend and reach out to her and apologize for everything that happened Sunday morning. We told Matthew that we did not think it was a good idea at this time because she left in such a state that we had never seen her in before. Matthew then gave us the business card of his manager to give to our friend in the event she wanted to contact them.
The only two positive things I have to say about this hotel is JONATHAN our porter upon arrival. You are truly one of the best assets this hotel has and I hope your boss gives you the praise for excellent customer service that you deserve. You went absolutely out of your way for us every single instance we had contact with you. MATTHEW THANK YOU FOR REACHING OUT TO US! Your quiet and compassionate demeanor was just what we needed. Our friend has not had any contact with us since she left that morning but we hope our friendship can be salvaged.
Would I stay here again. Absolutely not. I thought about this . I thought about giving this hotel the opportunity to show me good customer service. The room type with the items I requested in it. But I don't want to take another chance that this would wind up being just another nightmare on Atrium Drive this was my other friends first trip away from the hubby and the kids since her children were born. Her oldest is five. I feel bad for her that she had an incredibly awful experience too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DeborahR91
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Deborah,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the multiple issues that you encountered. The inhospitable actions of my housekeeping staff will be addressed. I was made aware of the situation with the found money, and there are certain precautions that the hotel staff does need to take, but the situation was not handled correctly by our desk agent, and as Matt shared with you, that agent was spoken to. I do appreciate you pointing out the services of Jonathan and Matt. I will be sure that they are recognized for their efforts and delivery of excellent service. I did see your comment that you would not provide the hotel an opportunity to recover from this situation, which I respect. In lieu of that, being an Honored Guest member, I would like to extend to you 10,000 Hilton Honors Points as a token of my sincerity of a stay that did not go as expected. While what you and your associate experienced may not be indicative of our service, it is what you experienced, and it is that, that matters. To ensure that I credit the proper Hilton Honors account, I would request that you email me at ron.czulada@hilton.com so that I may extend the points to your account.

My deepest apologies again and thank you for your feedback.

Ron Czulada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed February 15, 2013

A Quiet,Great Location,Everything from check-in to check-out was handled first rate,the room was fresh and clean very Quiet and peaceful,Breakfast was excellent with a great selection and dinner was very good,the In-Room service was handled efficently,lookin forward to staying there again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback posted 2/15/2013. I was very glad to hear that you enjoyed the property and that all went well. I will be sure to share your comments with my staff and I can tell you that it will make their day. We all look forward to serve you again. Thank you.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Breakfast room too small so had to share with strangers. Hot water at best warm in the mornings. Pool facilities not great and generally poor service throughout stay. Given a hot cookie at reception but would prefer if hotel would focus on their core business rather than a gimmick like a cookie.

1 Thank ShaneoX
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback in regards to your stay. It is very helpful. We do generally expand our breakfast area by setting up additional seating in an adjacent area next to the restaurant. I will investiagte as to why that was not done and make the necessary corrections. My apologies for the upkeep of the pool area during your stay. This will be addressed with my Housekeeping Department. I do hope that you enjoyed the cookie and the team will work harder to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for your feedback. If at anytime you would like to share any other details, I welcome you to contact me at ron.czulada@hilton.com.

Ron Czulada

Travelers are raving about these Somerset hotels

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Excellent property nestled between lush green meadows, numerous trees around that change into different shades during fall & other seasons, a small lake where you can see swans/ducks swim in. A picture perfect coming out of a romantic book you are reading. Centrally located, in the business district with a calm setting. I would recommend a stay here, be it your business trip or leisure. Has a good restaurant and a bar lounge too as a plus!

Room Tip: It doesn't matter which room you take really. To get the best of this property, just take off fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you so very much for your post. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the location. We do feel that our location sets us apart from other hotels in the area. Being in the middle of an upscale Corporate Office Park provides a certain privacy from the outside immediate area. With grassy areas and ponds, it does provide a more relaxing atmosphere to unwind after a day at the office. Thank you again.
Stevens, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed with work for the golf convention that was next door. Check in was annoying my boss booked the rooms under her name not thinking about it.. desk staff was pretty rude and seemed annoyed that we didn't have the correct information with us. After all that was solved i headed to the room which at first glance was wonderful. The room appeared clean and well kept. Overall i was extremely pleased until i went to get a shower.. first the shower head and water pressure was horrible and then i noticed a couple pieces of hair that were not mine.. Gross! After the convention i went into the bar for dinner and drinks service was wonderful and the food was fantastic. There again i was pleased until breakfast in the morning i was with a co worker it cost us 38$ for a breakfast that was not even warm anymore. This hotel is touch and go im sure it could be wonderful with a couple details worked on!

Room Tip: * stay away from the breakfast
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ron C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is very helpful as the General Manager of the property to read these. I do apologize for the delay at your time of check in. Due to out utmost priority in regards to our guests safety and welfare, we are thorough when it comes to ensuring that the correct guest is checking into the correct reservation. Having the correct guest name on the reservation at the time of check in is a hotel standard that I expect my staff to comply with. Hilton, as a brand, insists that we do the same. It appears as though everything worked itself out in regards to this when I viewed reservation history of the parties involved. I sincerely apologize about the water pressure and cleanliness issues in the bathroom. We did have a motor that burned out that supplies hot water to our guest rooms during your stay. It was replaced with the hour, but I am sorry that it was an inconvenience. In regards to the cleanliness issues, I was able to look into your account and retrieve your room number. I have addressed this with my Housekeeping Director and the Room Attendant that was responsible for preparing your room. Thank you for your feedback on the breakfast. We are continuously monitoring our pricing versus like hotels in our area. It should have the appropriate temperatures though. I do not know if you brought these items to the attention of a hotel manager, but if you did, I would feel confident that they would have dealt with it to your satisfaction. I have updated your profile with us so that we can be sure that if you provide us another opportunity, these issues will not be encountered again. Thank you again for your feedback.
Switzerland
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This isn't where a normally stay when I am in the area, but after Sandy, but my usual place was booked. The hotel is big and a bit cumbersome, but if you avoid the high traffic areas, it's a nice place to stay and the rooms are big and pretty quiet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We do have a large hotel, but I can assure you that any of our staff members would be happy to make sure that you got to where you needed to in the hotel. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you.
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip. The young lady at the front desk couldn't have been more helpful. I got my Hilton Honors goodie bag. When the printer didn't work in the business center, she let me use one of the front desk computers to print my next day boarding passes. The room was clean and comfortable. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share it. As General Manager of the property, this input is extremely valuable to me. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Goody Bag and that the staff assisted you with your boarding passes. Thank you again.