“Great location for NYC visit without NYC prices”

DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
ROCKFORD
“Great location for NYC visit without NYC prices”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We recently stayed at the Doubletree Somerset for 5 days whilst visiting in the New York area, including the city itself. The hotel was well-situated to access the NJ Transit rail lines to NYC. The hotel is an older property, but very well kept. The staff were friendly and accommodating, the room was spotless, and the area is very safe and secure. Room price was 1/3 the price of a NYC hotel we stayed in at the beginning of our stay in the area.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DTSomerset, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We are delighted you were able to enjoy your stay at the Doubletree Somerset Hotel and Conference Center while visiting New York City. With our central location and easy access to highways and transportation, we are thrilled you were able to enjoy that convenience while here. Your kind comments are appreciated and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I came to the Somerset Doubletree for a New Jersey Lawyer Training on the Draeger Evidential Breath Instrument. I had been to this area many times in the past. This is a prime business location because of it's proximity to Newark Airport as well as being a gateway of sorts to North and South Jersey. I have taken my wife to the Garden Convention Center down the road for quilt shows as well.

My take:

1. Well run older property. Classic Doubletree amenities (the fantastic cookies, the nice linens, and upscale Hilton ambiance abounds). The inside and outside of this facility and meeting rooms were clean, beautiful, and nicely manicured. Easy parking and an Enterprise Car Rental (on property) make this a winner for convenience and location.

2. One caveat, Stay away from the older section of rooms nearest the gym on the first level. They have paper thin walls. The first night I was given room # 130 and at midnight I thought a group of people entered my room. It was that loud! I asked to move the next morning and no issues there but this property sells out and it this could be an issue for lighter sleepers.

3. The Breakfast buffet is completely lackluster. Uninspiring and in many respects less than your average Hampton. This is surprising because the bar food and the banquet lunches were actually quite good quality for this genre.

4. My favorite part of the whole week was their Executive Meeting Center. They have an great many rooms but a CENTRAL concierge area. Assistants galore and a plethora of snacks, treats, desserts, ice creams, S-bucks coffee, etc. This was amazing and dangerous to my stomach and waist. All day, everyday trays after trays of cookies and cakes, fresh fruit, and candy. OMG. I could not get over the amount or the variety.

5. They have an excellent gym: Large wall of Upscale cardio equipment with TVs and some small dumbells.

The million dollar question: Would I stay again?

There are other properties around here that have their own positives and negatives. I guess for the money it would depend, the Holiday Inn Express across the way cost less and although not as pretty was a very good value overall. Also another property a half mile up the road (Somerset Bridgewater something) was also very nice and much less money.

The Doubletree May NOT be the best Value for this area: I spent $130 for a double here, originally $150 for a king bed both sans breakfast, not expensive but certainly not cheap. The others come in around the $100 mark or less so "money to money" I wouldn't spend another $50 plus on some very delicious chocolate chip cookies and a bunch of snacks. I stayed for the reasons of my seminar/conference being here but no special rate was given or offered for this, so I guess for me UNLESS the room rate was more competitive with other local properties I would not likely stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid older wing on first floor, paper thin walls.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DTSomerset, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
We appreciate the time you took to share your experiences with us. We are delighted to learn you found our on-site conference facilities met your needs during your time here. We have 16 acres of landscaped property with a variety of activities available to all of our guests and we are happy you were able to utilize the gym. Room rates are affected by many variables such as seasonality, demand, competition but we do our best to offer the best possible rates at that time. For any future stays, we offer multiple packages and our website is the best resource when trying to determine which package is right for you. Thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the Doubletree Somerset Hotel and Conference Center again soon.
Boston
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Sometimes no amount of frequent traveler status can compensate for a bad hotel property. That was the case the other night at the Doubletree in Somerset, NJ. It is hard to recall a less enjoyable or restful stay in the 50 or so nights I’ve spent in hotels in the past year.

What worked? Check-in was friendly, cookie was offered, bag of fattening "goodies" was provided along with Halloween candy. Phone checkout worked well. Hotel is located near a strip mall just off I-287 - accessible with plenty of parking.

What is wrong with this place? Where do I start? The biggest drawback by far was sound isolation. Imagine that the best rooms in the hotel, the junior suites on the high floors, are located direclty next to the elevators. I was upgraded to one of these rooms but once I got off the elevator and noticed this, I immediately returned to the front desk and requested a different – and quieter – room. Having been kept awake all night in more than one Hilton property by elevator sounds (rrrrrrrr, “ding-ding”, rrrrrrrr etc.), I have learned the hard way to always to request a room away from the elevator.

Imagine my surprise when the woman at the front desk informed me that actually all the other rooms in the hotel are – wait for it – even louder (!!). She seemed stunned that I was requesting one of the regular rooms given that they are a lot less “buffered,” she said, than the junior suites.

When I arrived in my regular room, that is exactly what I found. The connecting door allowed through all the sounds from the next guest room, including some I would rather not have heard. Worse, the walls of the room shook every time a door on the hallway was opened and then thunked shut. LOUD.

Then the next rude shock arrived. Fortunately, the earplugs were not yet in so that I could hear the door open. Yes, I had locked it. I had even hung the “Do not disturb” sign on the door handle. Yet someone with a different key had pushed it into the antiquated locking mechanism and boom, my door opened. I shouted “hey” and I heard “Oh, sorry” and the guy walking away. At that point, I deployed the two additional locks on the door, locks I usually consider to be overkill. Needless to say, I did not enjoy the most restful sleep after that.

What irked me about all this was not only the TripAdvisor reviewers who had faked me into choosing this place (never again!), the extremely loud air conditioning (mentioned in several other reviews), the horrible restaurant selection near the hotel (I had to negotiate hard to get the restaurant owner to switch off Fox News and switch on Game 7 of the NL Championship Series) or even the miserable breakfast buffet (no plates or bowls anywhere near the food, awful reconstituted scrambled “eggs,” a bunch of staff standing around talking to each other).

No, what bothered me most was that the woman at the desk, seeing how annoyed I was (in hour 13 of a 15-hour, 300-mile travel day) to have to change rooms, read to me from my email requesting an upgrade to a junior suite – as if to tell me what an idiot I was for wanting to switch out of a bad room in a hotel where that is all there are.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel.
1 Thank BostonFrequentTrav1
It is extremely disheartening to learn your stay with us was not as you expected and we truly regret any inconvenience you may have experienced while here. Although our Junior Suites are located near the elevators, based on design layout they do provide a higher level of sound deference and are a favorite for many of our guests. With 8 TV's available in our sports bar, we not sure why you had any difficulties having your request met, but we will look into this further with our staff. It is our hope to welcome you back to enjoy our hotel and our Junior Suite from a renewed perspective. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Somerset hotels

WORCESTER
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hotel had plenty of parking and was conveniently located off 287. Check in was fast and friendly, I was given a warm cookie and a goodie back, I was really impressed. Hotel has two restaurants and room service. They have a pool and a good gym, plenty of equipment and the cardio machines have individual tv's and you can get headphones at the front desk. They have a sundries store too which was perfect because I ran out of toothpaste. Room was clean and beds were comfortable but you could tell the rooms were a bit dated. My rate came with free wifi that worked well. They offer express check out but I went to the desk because I was in need of directions. Check out was fast and friendly and Mark was wonderful, he found out where I was going and did a mapquest print out for me. I had room service one night and at at the pub the other, both had good food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DTSomerset, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
We appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay. It is great to learn our location just off the highway and our variety of amenities were more than you expected. With so much to do at the hotel, we are delighted you were able to enjoy your time and we look forward to sharing your feedback with the team. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Doubletree Somerset Hotel and Conference Center the next time you are in the area. We'll have plenty of warm cookies waiting!
Albany, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Through Hotwire I was able to get a room at the Doubletree for $55!! This is a really nice hotel, greeted with warm cookie and goodie bag. Room was clean. Hotel was busy but quiet. Perfect!
Would defintely use Hotwire and hopefully get this 3.5 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DTSomerset, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It was great to have had you here and we are delighted you were able to enjoy a warm cookie! Your kind comments are appreciated and we hope to welcome you back to the Doubletree Somerset Hotel and Conference Center again soon.
Tampa, Fl
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I travel to Somerset for business and am usually stressed worrying about a meeting or presentation, but the folks at the check in desk, the goody bag if you are a Hilton's Honor member and the warm cookie instantly offer a warm welcome. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the breakfast buffet was very good.

AC in rooms are units that cycle loudly all night....might be time to change to a more modern system.

My only complaint is that the maids bundle all the trash and leave the large trash bags in the hall, I assume waiting for another crew to come by and pick them up. Honestly I am not sure if it was trash or laundry but it was an unwelcome site to step off the elevator and have trash bags lined up outside doors. Never seen this before and can't imagine there isn't a better way to do it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
DTSomerset, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
It is great to learn that you feel relaxed when staying with us and the warm cookie and spacious rooms help you get ready for your meetings. Your comments are appreciated and we truly regret any inconvenience you may have experienced. We will work with the team determine alternate methods when removing refuse from guestrooms. Thank you and we look forward to having you here at the Doubletree Somerset Hotel & Conference center again soon. We'll have more warm cookies waiting!
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am in the Bridgewater, NJ for business on a frequent basis. My first choice for hotels in the Bridgewater area is the Doubletree Somerset. My stay is always very pleasant. All of the staff that I have dealt with go out of their way to meet their guest's need. The happy hour on Wednesday for Hilton Honors members is excellent.

I recommend this hotel highly.

jks

Room Tip: Ask for non-highway side of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jackson510_12
It is wonderful to learn you have had the opportunity to stay with us multiple times. We truly appreciate your loyalty. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Doubletree Somerset Hotel and Conference Center again soon.