“Very nice experience.”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I are in our late 50's so we've been around a bit.

This was a very nice hotel. Frankly, I can't understand some of the negative reviews. This is what led me to post.

Staff was extremely nice. This refers to the evening clerk, the morning clerk, and the restaurant manager (who personally served us dinner). All were very friendly, as were the two maids we saw working. Sure, some of the men had some accents, so what.

Room was very clean, spacious, pretty quiet, bed was good.

Bathroom was clean, plenty of towels, good shower and full bathtub.

Flatscreen TV was good, HBO and other channels. Some pay-per-view available too. A few channels were a little blurred, not a big deal.

Dinner in the restaurant was very good, and very reasonably priced. A little slow but that's because the cook prepares the meals with care. It's not a huge menu, but it's a good selection.

Breakfast was pretty good. Decent variety of food. It was similar to other La Quinta's we've stayed at. Hot foods included eggs, potatoes, and you can make your own waffles. Also breads, yogurt, some fruit, cereal, OJ, milk, coffee, tea....

Indoor pool was very nice, and is heated. Unfortunately the pool room was a little on the chilly side, but this was on a very cold evening after the recent snowstorm.

There is a big K-Mart just a mile up I-287, and lots of other stores nearby including a supermarket too.

For the person who expected the hotel to give him toothpaste, or the person who felt the bathroom amenities were not fancy enough, all I can say is that it is silly to expect a good solid hotel like LaQuinta to be the same as a super-expensive Four Seasons. Myself, I prefer Labrador Retrievers over poodles.

My wife and I had a good experience here, and certainly would return.

Room Tip: Higher floor is probably less prone to road noise, as well as rooms on the rear side of the building...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul E

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night and enjoyed it. The rooms are nice and spacious with modern amenities and a awesome pool. The Staff are extremely courteous and helpful. when in the area again, will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Unfortunately, there isn't a hotel option when staying in Hillsborough NJ (unless you want the other hotel that supposedly has crawlies). This hotel is very easy to get to off of 287, however, it is quite isolated if you need gas, food, etc.

Beds are comfy, the rooms are large, but there aren't any amenities in the BR (just soap and a shampoo). The heated indoor pool is great. There is a breakfast buffet which, while minimal, is fine and the same daily.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2012

First off, I got to this hotel on business late at night from the Newark airport. I called to verify my reservation, and the man that answered the phone spoke very broken english and was not happy about answering the phone or providing any kind of customer service. After about 5 minutes of deciphering broken english with an arabic accent, I found out that this location is definitely where my company had my reservation. I arrived at the hotel, and was not even greeted with a friendly "hello" or "how can I help you?". This man, with grey-ish short hair, glasses and was on the heavier side, just looked at me. So I told him about my reservation and got frustrated with me when I kept asking him to speak up and repeat himself due to his broken english and thick accent. After hearing his condescending verbal abuse about why I needed to provide a credit card, he very briefly told me about the breakfast and brushed me off. So I go to my room which was FILTHY. The door and handles are sticky, it smells of cigarette smoke (non-smoking room) and the bed sheets did not smell very clean. So I went back down stairs to the "sundry shop" for maybe some water. There was ONE bottle for TWO DOLLARS. 0.25 liters of water.... So I asked the arrogant rude deskman if there was more water, he said no. I asked for a toothbrush and tooth paste, he said "If it not there, then we no have it"... So not only did this dump not provide complimentary tooth brush and toothpaste like every other hotel on the planet provides, they do not have a shuttle van or potable drinking water. I asked this man about the drinking water condition and sarcastically I asked, "so am I suppose to drink from the sink?" He replied "Yes. This is what I do". So having no choice from being dehydrated, I had to drink the very nasty sink water. There is a vending machine selling sodas and SMALL bottled water for $2.50!!!! RIP OFF!! There is even a Sharpie written message on the front of the machine that says " Machine is ****ed up do not use". GREAT. So after my first impression of this DUMP was beaten down to the ground and stepped on, I attempted to heat the room from the wall thermostat. And what do you know, the heater cycles on for 5 seconds and shuts off for 1 minute ALL NIGHT LONG. The temperature never raised above 67 degrees F. So I was awakened all night from the sound of the heater coming on and off and being uncomfortably cold. The second night, it took everything I had in me not to just pack up and leave. So when I get to the room I attempted to use the WI-Fi. It didn't work. I attempted to connect to it the night before but got frustrated and just went to sleep. So I call the front desk, and what do they say? "CALL THIS 1-800 NUMBER, they will help you".. So now I have to solve connectivity issues with the hotel?!?!? Couldn't the hotel just reset the router?!? Called the tech support, and after 20 minutes on the phone with him, he finally reset the router and I finally was able to connect. I called my company and I was transferred to A NICE hotel just down the street that had the necessary accommodations for my business trip.

This hotel provides what they call breakfast for "free" which consists of stale bread that you can't toast because the toasters are broken, corn flakes, and do it yourself flavorless eggs and waffles. You're better off sleeping in your car versus this nasty, filthy dump. You might actually get a full nights sleep. Take the rest of the 1 star reviews seriously on this page so you can save yourself the torment of staying at this ****hole. I recommend The "Staybridge Suites", not This La Quinta inn. THIS WAS THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car or elsewhere. And if you do chose to stay here, bring Lysol to sterilize the room...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The La Quinta in Somerset, New Jersey is the only motel that we walked out of on our whole summer vacation. As soon as we entered the hallway a dank smell engulfed us. It was dingy, dark, and depressing. The elevator barely worked. We took the stairs. They looked like a fire escape, nothing nice at all. The A/C in the room was broken. The maintenance man didn’t know how to fix it. He didn’t even speak English and didn’t have the key to another room on the second floor to show us. We got our money back right away and checked into the Courtyard by Marriott two more exits down the highway in Somerset. Would you believe the La Quinta was charging the same amount as the Marriott? And the Marriott looks brand new!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My high school held our 40th class reunion @ the LaQuintas Somerset, so several of us opted to stay overnight @ the hotel. We were given a special rate since we were holding an event there. Our event was held in one of their banquet rooms which was very intimate. We also had a small banquet room to use for our Sunday breakfast. We found the staff very friendly and accomodating. No matter what we required, they worked very hard to help us reach our goals.
As a result of the service at this facility, and our hard work in planning the event, we accomplished an event that produced a lifetime of special memories for us!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2012

La Quinta Inn in Somerset is definitely a great place to stay! The service and staff are amazing. The room I was in was beautiful and very clean. I had dinner at the restaurant and the food was so flavorful and tasted very good. I slept so comfortably that I was very tempted to extend my stay. This is a place I would definitely recommend people stay in if they are looking for value, comfort and a family-oriented, pleasant environment.

• Stayed: November 2012