“Nice Weekend Stay”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
A TripAdvisor Member
Howell, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed here for a small weekend trip with a friend. It was very nice. The room felt very cozy, and the beds were comfortable. The Microwave and Fridge were a plus as well as the TV with free cable. The breakfast was nice, Eggs, breakfast potatoes, cereal, toast, and even a waffle maker to make fresh waffles. The only down to the breakfast was its end time, 9:30 seems a bit early to cut off breakfast. Staff was very friendly and helpful, especially when me and my friend accidentally got locked out of the room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

A La Quinta traveler
boston
Reviewed June 12, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is an older hotel and showing it's age. The security of the building is questionable because all the side doors are left open. Even with the corporate rate, we got a Holiday Inn price with Motel 6 Quality.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Filthy. Dirty. Unclean. I don't want to take my shoes off. Room is dirty, lobby is dirty, halls are dirty, bathroom is dirty. Main floor stinks. This is my second room because my first room had a broken lock, but management still wanted me to stay in the original room. The sheets look new, though.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank bcolgate
saleslaquintanj, Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

I would like to apologize for your less than stellar experience. Your issues are not acceptable and we need to do better.

Most importantly thank you for your feedback, we cannot improve unless we know what our issues are.

Thanks again.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I would like to inform you of a recent incident which occurred at
La Quinta Inn and Suites 60 Cottontail Lane Somerset, New Jersey 08873 I am a Coach Operator and Tour Leader. My company was chartered to transport twenty-two (senior citizen) passengers from Washington, DC to the La Quinta Hotel where we stayed two nights before continuing to JFK Airport New York, New York to catch a international flight. The incident occurred on the second day of our planned two day stay at the hotel.

On May 5, 2012, we arrived at the Somerset La Qunita hotel two hours early than scheduled (approximately 6:15 p.m.) following a day long tour of New York City due to the groups’ early next morning departure time (6:00 a.m.) as well as to allow an eight hour minimum “down-time” before I could resume driving (in accordance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations.) My clients and I requested a 4:00 a.m. wake-up call from the hotel desk clerk in order to meet our departure schedule, and then retired to our rooms.

Later in the evening, at approximately 9:30 p.m., I was awakened by extremely loud music. The music was so loud that the walls and furniture in the room began vibrating. I got out of bed in an attempt to identify the source of the music. It appeared the noise either was coming from the hallway or the room next door. When I opened my door to look outside, I observed that several of my senior clients had done the same thing. I returned to my room and called to the front desk to complain about the noise. The front desk clerk told me that a live band was playing the lounge, and there is nothing he could do about the noise. I responded by asking him if he had other rooms available that my clients and I could transfer to away from the music. The clerk replied that his and all other hotels within a thirty-mile radius were sold out.

Before my conversation with the desk clerk ended, I requested to speak to the hotel manager. The desk clerk told me that the hotel manager was not available but he would call me back when the manager returned. An hour passed and I never received a return phone call from the hotel clerk or manager. Because the loud noise continued, I called the hotel front desk again and requested to speak with the hotel manager who to my surprise answered the phone. I told the Manager about the disturbing level of noise coming into my room as well as my clients. The hotel manager told me “there was nothing he can do or intended to do about the noise, the band would be playing until 1:30 a.m., and that if I was unhappy here to go to another hotel.” Our conversation ended.

Since it did not appear the situation was going to be amicably resolved, I called the non- emergency police hotline (311) and explained to the operator our situation at the hotel. The operator strongly advised me to call 911. I called 911 and was told that an officer would be on the property in just a few minutes. I walked down to the lobby to meet the officer and heard several other guests in the lobby complaining to the desk clerk about the extremely high level of noise coming from the lounge. When the officer arrived at the hotel lobby I greeted him, introduced myself, and explained why I made the call. The hotel manager was present during my conversation with the police officer. After listening to my issue, the police officer told me there was nothing he could do about the loud noise. I asked him if he noticed how loud the music was and he stated, “yes but he could not tell the management how to run their business or intervene”. Next, a man walked up to where the officer, hotel manager and I were standing. This man said he was the owner of the hotel and he had been advised of my concern. The owner told the police officer that I was just a driver and “if I did not like the service here I should leave.” I attempted to explain to the owner my (and my senior clients’) concerns, but was verbally cut off by him at which point he ordered the police, in a very loud and demanding tone, to throw me out of the hotel. The officer did not respond to the owner’s demand. Next, the owner yelled to the front desk clerk and ordered him to lock me out of my room and another hotel clerk to escort me off the property. The other hotel clerk then asked me to leave. I complied by leaving the hotel as requested. As I was leaving, I overheard the owner tell the police officer” I told you to throw him out.” The officer replied “he is leaving without protest.”

I felt publically humiliated by the owner’s behavior toward me. After I was escorted off the hotel property, I asked the hotel clerk if I could return to retrieve my personal items. The hotel clerk said yes, and we walked back to have the hotel clerk escort me to gather my personal belongings. I gathered my belongings from the room and began to leave the with the hotel clerk, when I was aggressively intercepted by three new police officers that had been apparently dispatched following a call from the owner. One of these officers asked the hotel clerk escorting me if there was a problem. The clerk replied “no, everything is okay” at which time I was released and allowed to leave the hotel. I spent the rest of evening and slept in my bus which was parked nearby.

At 4:00 a.m., on May 6, 2012, I returned to the hotel to meet my clients outside the hotel where they boarded the bus for our trip to the New York airport. The passengers appeared to be very upset, complained to me about not being able to sleep, and described how loud the noise had been was during the night. One of the senior passengers told me that he didn’t get any sleep during the night and was not feeling well. Later, as we approached the airport, this passenger fell unconscious. I pulled off to the nearest terminal and flagged down an airport police to get help for my passenger. An ambulance shortly arrived and transported the passenger to the hospital accompanied by his wife. I learned from the airport police officer that this passenger suffered from heart-related conditions and that he will not be making his flight.

I understand the hotel was bound by previous obligations but I also had limitations that prevented me from seeking lodging elsewhere as suggested by the hotel owner. Aside from the fact that all the nearby hotels were booked, my company had pre-paid the reservations for my clients’ two-night stay at the Somerset hotel and I did not have the means or authority to relocate them even if I wanted to move the group to another hotel. In addition to public humiliation, I was surprised by the hotel management’s lack of sensitivity to me (as well as my client’s) concerns about the noise. As earlier stated, my group were not the only persons complaining about the band playing in the lobby and I expected management would have taken appropriate corrective action to address the concerns of all its guests, not just the patrons in the lounge. I submitted a complaint to the corporate but never received as much as a follow up call to me or my clients

Given my ordeal at the Somerset hotel as described in this letter, I wanted to bring these events incident to your attention if you are considering staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
17  Thank herbert r
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I would like to explain why I am writing about my experience at this LaQuinta. I am not financially able to stay at any hotel on a regular basis, but this past weekend my boss was having a convention at your La Quinta Hotel in Somerset, NJ. I thought it would be nice to have a little getaway evening for just one night with my husband. From the moment that I walked in and was greeted by Ms. Dunja at the front desk with a smile, perfect service and a positive attitude, I knew that I was going to have a great night. As soon as I walked in to my room, about 5 minutes later I get a phone call from the guest services to see if I was happy with my room and if there was anything that I needed. That has never happened to me before. At the convention your hotel catered hot & cold appetizers and drinks. The food was great and the service was even better. After the convention, my husband and I were invited by the convention committee to join them at the bar in the hotel. Your bartender named Mr. Mark Soloman, who is not the regular bartender and I want to make that clear, only because the regular bartender that was also there, was not very nice or seemed to not be happy or want to be there. But the other bartender was fantastic, upbeat & seemed to love his job, even if it wasn’t a permanent position. Next, the bed in the room was so comfortable, big & smelled clean, lots of pillows, which I love and the shower, what a pleasure! Unfortunately, my stay was only for one night which didn’t give me a chance to use the gym or the pool and Jacuzzi. Hopefully the next time I go there I will be able to stay longer. After my stay at this La Quinta, I went on your website and looked to see if you have any down the Jersey Shore or maybe in Atlantic City, unfortunately the furthest south that there is another La Quinta is in West Long Branch. That is the next one I want to visit. I will definitely go to the Somerset location again even if it is for just a little weekend getaway and I will absolutely recommend it to everyone. Within the past 10 years I have stayed at Clifton twice, Secaucus twice, Orlando (Disney) once, and Clearwater, Florida once. And so far the best one has been Somerset.

I want to thank the Staff at Somerset for making my night at La Quinta a pleasure.

Thanks,
Ruth Hanley

P.S. My only complaint would be that your coffee cups should be a little bigger.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ruth H
Reviewed May 11, 2012

the new management at La Quinta in somerset nj has brought the hotel to a new level. We made a kosher event there, and we were very satisfied with the service, attention to detail, and overall cooperation. I would recommend this hotel for all your kosher or non-kosher events.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank sgaimt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerset
DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center
Candlewood Suites Somerset
#9 of 16 in Somerset
Extended Stay America - Somerset - Franklin
Hilton Garden Inn Bridgewater

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!