“Stressful Stay”

Econo Lodge Somerset
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
“Stressful Stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

The breakfast is extremly spartan, and consists of barely edible white bread bagels, corn muffins and cheap . The juice was drinkable however not the coffee. Easy stay this was not. The laundry dryers did not work. The pool and fitness center are not part of the hotel, rather a separately owned club that they reluctantly give guest passes to. When we went to bathe there was no hot water. They tried to bilk extra money from us claiming tour payment did not go through even though it did making us lose valuable time from our stay. Some staff were extremely hospitable and others downright uptight and annoying such as the day clerk who was very rude calling our room incessantly asking us to extend our brief stay with a whining Baby Jane whisky voice, yet unable to operate the hotels computer system without high drama on a Sunday. They upcharged our second night during a snowstorm. Basically wo
rking clean rooms and comfortable beds fridge, no microwave...a glorified flop house at best. The area is stressful driving with unending road work and hote
l access can be difficult.
The rates are a little high
for very simple accomodations. The ambiance
is a bit dowdy leaning toward apathy and unpredictability.
No business center.

• Stayed December 2013
steven p, Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
We would like thank you for your response. We are sorry we didnt meet your standards .WE will take this up with our staff so these problems dont happen again We at the econolodge strive to give the highest standard . ..very trulys yours steve p.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Springfield Gardens, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

This was my third or fourth visit to this wonderful hotel. Great for the family too my kids love the pool! The beds are always perfect. Many Thanks to Steve P. and the staff for keeping this great hotel great!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
We would like to thank you for your positive response. We are glad you continue to stay with us from time to time. very truly yours. Steven P.
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

My friend was having a party at the club next door, so I decided to book a room so I don't have to drink and drive. The rooms were big and clean. TV and furniture could be updated, but besides that it was a good room for the price. Rooms do need more light.

• Stayed November 2013
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
We would like to thank you for your positive response .We strive to provide our guests with the highest standards of service. Very trulys yours steven pins.
Newport News, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I'm a consultant and travel all the time. What a surprise! Clean & orderly. Fantastic service. The front desk calls me by name. Great location also, right off 287. I highly recommend this little gem. Did I mention the Christmas Tree in December? Nice touch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
We would like to thank you for your positive response. We strive to provide our guests with the highest standards of service and accommodations.Very truly yours Steve P.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I wanted to add my review because most of the review posted were not recent. I stayed at this Econo Lodge for two nights, Saturday and Sunday evening. I made my reservation online was quoted a price which was honored with no problems. My check-in was smooth, and my room was ready. The section of the hotel where my room was located was older, the sheets and towels were fresh not worn. If I had a complaint it would be that the A/C heater was loud when it ran. I found it difficult to get a good nights sleep until I turned the unit off. Other than that, my rest was pretty good. I would use this location again. Not the best hotel, but clean and comfortable. A good value for the money

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
We would like to thank you for your comments.The econolodge family strives to provide the highest quality and standards .We apologize for the inconvenience you had. We are addressing that problem with our maintenance department.. Very yours truly steve.pins gm
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was traveling through Somerset NJ about two weeks ago and stopped at Econo Lodge. When I called the 800 number, I was quoted a price and decided to pay when I got there rather than leave a credit card number. I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival when they found a room at an even lower price quoted.
The room was ok, clean. The continental breakfast was nice before heading on the road again.
Fast forward two weeks later, when I realize I cant find my laptop anywhere!!! Sure enough, I contacted the hotel and they were holding it for me. They are boxing it up for me, Fed Ex will be there tomorrow to pick up.
I am so happy to report that this hotel has honest employees with good intentions. After a few calls to staff and Manager, I want to thank them for their integrity!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dawn N
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
We would like to thank you for your positive response. Very truly yours steven pins
Warren, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have stayed here over the past few years when going to Dorney Park, then Great Adventure. I do Dorney, then drive an hour to Econolodge, then next day drive an hour to Great Adventure, its right in the middle!

Our first stay a couple of years ago, they desperately needed to improve. I returned a year later to find a vastly improved hotel, freshly painted outside, and some touch ups inside, including the rooms. My last visit last summer, we stayed in the wing connected to lobby, king bed, second floor. The room I remembered a year ago was a bit nicer and fresher looking in decor, compared to the 2 doubles we got in the same wing, but on the first floor (rm 110).

The room is a good size, the beds were pretty comfortable, and the room was clean. I noticed there was no coffee makers in the room, and could not remember if they were previously in other rooms from the past, but something I feel is standard fare in the hotel business. Our room did have a refrigerator (upon request), including a nice bar top area to set your things on above the fridge. There was also a nice sized closet.

Room negatives besides the lack of coffee maker, there was no microwave, one of the dresser drawers was a pain to open, and there was ONLY ~20 channels for the TV. I was pretty disappointed about that. The bathroom could use some work. The ceiling is cheap tiles, there is thick unsightly caulking around the whole vanity/sink area, and alone some of the walls, and shower. The caulking around the shower head was about to fall off. The wall paper was also peeling in a few different spots. The size of the bathrooms aren't bad though, so with some sprucing up, they could be dramatically improved. Also, I went to bed around midnight, from 11:30 to 12:30, I must have heard doors slam almost a dozen times, some louder than others. We were halfway down the hall, so we must have had a lot of neighbors. I wish the beds were queens and not doubles.

I had some choice hotel points from a previous trip a month back, and got this stay for under 10,000 points, which is a fantastic deal! In general, rooms are about 100 with tax when I stayed, and a decent deal. I would come back, and despite being rough around the edges, it was a pretty nice stay. There was one woman who has worked at the front desk for years, and she was polite and friendly, but we only had one quick interaction. The other workers from check in and check out, were very blah, didn't tell me where my room was located, and simply were not warm and genuine. I didn't feel very special, and had to ask questions about the hotels amenities.

Speaking of amenities, I used most of them. After a day at the park, taking a swim in the huge pool was refreshing. I was lukewarm, but enjoyable. The hot tub was not working, which was disappointing,

Another amenity which is rare, they have an attached restaurant/bar, The Toucan Grill and Tropical Lounge was great last year when we ate/drank there. Being a highlight of this property, I consider it when planning my trips. We had to visit this time, and arrived at 8:30. They say they close at ten, but last call was around 9:40. My friends and I were the only ones at the bar, and there was also a man who may be the manager/owner, as he was at bar, but also in the kitchen.

The bar tender was very friendly, and made a handful of different cocktails for my girlfriend and I, and they were all delicious. We had a wonderful time chatting about our trip and relaxing with a few drinks. The food was also delicious. I had a philly cheese steak which tasted good. We had wings, and they were great, jerk was spicier than I anticipated. My girlfriend got pulled pork and said it was good, but not great. My friend got a burger and enjoyed it.

I went to the breakfast, and it was a decent basic offering. One of the OJ dispensers was mostly water and gross, but I drank mostly Apple Juice, and it was good. The coffee was also good.

They offered plain bagels, English muffins, danish, corn muffins, bread, and hard boiled eggs. I don't remember eggs before, so that is a nice addition. The corn muffins were also really good, and I ironically had been craving them days before the visit.

The breakfast area is spacious, but the wall paper under the food is stained in a section, and should be replaced. Also when you look up, there is a nice sky light, but the mirrored sections are dirty and should be cleaned.

I enjoyed watching the local news while enjoying a decent breakfast offering.

Checkout was quick, but again the the lady was blah, didn't ask how my stay was, or show any interest.

One negative about the outside, besides a bumpy parking lot, there was rust stains on the otherwise nice exterior below a few of the rooms a/c units.

I would recommend this hotel to any value conscious traveler. While it is a bit rough around the edges, the rooms were clean, and they have great amenities. The staff could use some work, but I enjoyed my stay. I know its an older property, but I really like the entrance area, with those interesting light fixtures, and recessed breakfast area.

Give this hotel a try, its a great value!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mike M
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
We would like to thank you for taking your time to share your comments.We are glad that you continue to stay with us year after year and are looking forward to seeing you next year .We are also addressing those problems with our staff. Very truly yours steven pins gm