“Two Star Hotel”

Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I booked the Hotel Somerset through Priceline which normally delivers a quality, name brand hotel that matches the star level. Until this hotel totally remodels the property Priceline should remove the hotel or lower the star rating to two stars.
Having read the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, I was not surprised by the condition of the hotel. Previous reviews for this hotel are spot on and detail improvements that need to be made. The hotel was previously a Marriott and Crowne Plaza hotel.
We arrived late on a Friday so no issue with check in. Be careful in the parking lot at night as the lot is in bad condition with holes etc… As others have mentioned, this hotel is often used for 2 or 3 day religious or social events. Close to midnight there were young children running around the lobby and down the halls as we walked to our rooms.
Guest must find the rooms small as chairs and double wide strollers are left in the hall overnight, which could cause serious issues in the event of a fire.
Our room was dated with a box style TV worn furniture and drapes. Bathroom tub surround was very old with mold in the tile cracks. When we opened the shades in the morning your view was limited by the very dirty windows. A/C is a wall unit even though there is a thermostat (that does nothing) still on the wall. One bedside lamp was not operational.
I could not have the restaurant delivery coffee to the room in the morning so walked down to purchase coffee. The server said they had a coffee station in the restaurant so I asked if I could buy a large pot of coffee for the room. She informed me that they only had one thermos coffee pot so I could only take cups. She left and I took two cups of coffee to the room. When I returned for more coffee she told me I did not pay (never said there was a charge) so I said to charge me for 4 cups of coffee. As I waited, there was no other staff to assist me. When she finally returned she told me to just go and did not charge me. BTW, the small gift/coffee shop in the lobby that said it would be open at 7:30 each day but was not open during our two day weekend visit.
Around 4pm on Saturday the fire alarm went off and the entire hotel was evacuated. We stood outside for an hour as the local fire department tried to determine what set off the alarm near the kitchen. Glad this was not at night when we would need to negotiate around chairs and strollers in the hall.
It appears the hotel is starting to renovate some of the tower rooms. Lobby has old sofa that is beyond repair. In a few years this hotel may be up to a 3 star standard but for now it is at best, a two star hotel.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EaganTraveler
Maria G, Manager at Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

We appreciate the time taken in order to provide such a detail account of this past experience. As we move forward, we are committed to improving all future guests ‘experiences by using this feedback as a tool that can assist in correcting our challenges. Optimistically, our team is looking forward to new property improvements in the near future which will eliminate the noted concerns related to conditions.

In contrast, we are very pleased that the experience upon checking into our hotel was efficient, professional and friendly. In addition, to hear that the bed was considered to be comfortable encourages us to continue providing the best quality in accommodations

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We have used Priceline's 'name your own rate' to get good rates at 3-star or higher rated hotels successfully for perhaps 100 nights; very few problems, just love Priceline and their usually conservative ratings and great values. This booking was our first using Priceline's Express offers. What a disappointment. While the hotel has - on paper and their website - facilities that would qualify for a 3-star rating - this hotel is clearly no longer a 3-star hotel it was when it was the Crown Plaza. It must have lost their Holiday Inn franchise due to their numerous problems, thus the name change to Hotel-Somerset-Bridgewater.
As always, I had called the hotel front desk after booking to give them our room preference; a non-smoking room, King-size bed in a quiet location, preferably in a more recently refurbished 'pet-free' floor. The front-desk manager did indeed assign us a room on the 7th floor, with a new good and comfortable king-size bed, room looked refurbished too. The lady who checked us in was also very friendly, efficient, professional.
But now the problems started: There was no hotel information sheet or booklet in the room. So I went down to the hotel pool that had been listed for this hotel. It was not available, blocked for a large group that had seemed to have taken over this hotel for 3 nights for Rosh Hashana.
Back to the room. Tried to set up my laptop on the small desk. The (energy-guzzling incandescent) light bulb in the desk lamp had burned out. Tried to make a cup of coffee - no coffee maker - just the coffee packets. Went to the front desk, waited in line - no they don't have spare light bulbs, but will bring a coffee maker later. They actually did while we were out for dinner away from the hotel, but it still had an old used filter inside and I was worried about mold so did not use it the next morning. Could not get Internet either, the access code did not work. The worst problem was the constant noise during the night - I even turned the Air Conditioning off - but the constant noise from either the AC/units above the ballroom roof below us or the road noise from a nearby major highway prevented any sleep despite foam-type ear plugs I carry for use on long airplane flights.
To top it off - the shower control handle was broken we discovered the next morning - we left without a shower, the first time in many years in countless hotels. Priceline should drop this hotel from their listings or rate it 1 or 2-star at the most.
Now the plus side: Even this low Priceline rate (we paid only $74.23 including tax and fees) included a pretty good breakfast on the 10th floor. Free parking. And I saw the same friendly woman who checked us in in the afternoon was still smiling and calmly checking in a large Chinese Bus tour group late in the evening. But even the most dedicated employee can't make up for poor management or a hotel owner who does not have even the money to buy energy-efficient long-lasting light bulbs or fix the plumbing, etc. A returned room service tray was sitting next to the ice-machine when we checked in - it was still there the next day late morning when we left.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished higher-floor room not on the side of the ballroom or Highway. Check shower, li...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank askjens
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I think this is a fairly good hotel as long as you understand it's not a 4 star hotel and set your expectations accordingly. The rooms were clean and functional and for the price were good value. Only slight negative comment was that maybe they could be aired more or sprayed to freshen them up a bit but that doesn't take away from my overall feedback.
Breakfast was good, especially as it was in the room rate which was just over $100. The staff were friendly but again not as polished as you would expect from a 4 star hotel. Would I stay there again - sure. I'd classify it as a no frill, clean, good value hotel. I couldn't comment on the swimming pool or tennis courts as I wasn't there long enough to look for them

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mike m
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have been in many Hotels not only around the country, but around the world, this is by far the worst Hotel experience I have EVER had. First, me my wife and child got to the hotel only to find out that half of the hotel was unavailable (Pool, Restaurants,Gyms.) because it was rented out for a religious holiday. I explained to management I was looking to get away for a few days with the family and I did pay full price, to be given a quarter of the amenities. The staff was rude, and extremely unhelpful. On the way up to the room and one of the employees was on the phone cursing and using racial slurs, the manager who's name was James told me nothing could be done. When we got to the room it was atrocious, Smelled terrible, no water, no coffee, and no room service was available. This was a nightmare, and I will not give this hotel a lower rating because the website does not permit me to.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Carlos C
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our 2-year-old daughter, with my parents staying in a room across the hall from us - we stayed for 2 nights (Wed-Thurs) in the "tower" area of the hotel. Check-in was easy, staff friendly, rooms were clean and well-appointed, and halls were fairly quiet (important for sleeping toddlers!). We swam in the pool, which was rather nice, especially as it was midweek and we had it to ourselves. We also tried the breakfast buffet, which was fairly standard (it's the sort of buffet that is often free in other hotel chains), and was well-attended by friendly and helpful staff. There are restaurants in reasonable driving distance if you want to venture out for meals. Given that this hotel was nearly $100 less expensive per night than some other choices in the area for the same dates, it was an excellent value!

Room Tip: We did a little prior research which indicated that the tower rooms were quieter than the lower floo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KireiC
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

So my friends and I stayed at this hotel at end of August for one night.

Staff - terrific! Very helpful and friendly. Nicole was great in assisting me when needed to have food delivered.

Rooms - stayed at standard two double bed rooms on the 1st floor. The size of the room was your standard size. The bathroom could have been better. The tub was chipped. The bathroom walls had pieces missing. Found a dead spider on the floor.

The hotel used to be a Marriott Hotel and it needs some updating.
As I said, could have been better.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel was chosen by my business for a stay from 8/7-8/11/13. On the upside, the room was clean, the room temperature was appropriate and the hotel manager Maria G. and front desk person James provided excellent service.
However, there are many downsides. When I checked in, I was asked for a credit card for incidentals. The person checking me was not paying attention and placed a hold on my account for the entire room stay. When I alerted the staff to this issue, they refunded my account. Twice. So I had to meet the manager in her office the next morning before work, so that they could contact my bank. It is 6 days later and my account is still in disarray. When I checked out, I was told that I had charges to my room but the front desk person was unable to tell me what they were and I wasted time trying to get her to explain it to me. My key cards worked once. Every time I attempted to enter my room, I was unable to and had to wait for maintenance or housekeeping to come up and let me in. The wifi is nonexisent unless you were up at 5:30 AM as I was several days- so impossible to work from the room. Also, during my stay there were exceptionally loud tourists and the hotel was unable to get them to shut up.

Room Tip: Good luck and be prepared to overpay for what you get.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JackiY2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerset
DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center
#7 of 16 in Somerset
Fairfield Inn & Suites Somerset
Hilton Garden Inn Bridgewater
Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset

Been to Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater? Share your experiences!