“Do not stay here.”

Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Elizabeth, New Jersey
“Do not stay here.”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have been in many Hotels not only around the country, but around the world, this is by far the worst Hotel experience I have EVER had. First, me my wife and child got to the hotel only to find out that half of the hotel was unavailable (Pool, Restaurants,Gyms.) because it was rented out for a religious holiday. I explained to management I was looking to get away for a few days with the family and I did pay full price, to be given a quarter of the amenities. The staff was rude, and extremely unhelpful. On the way up to the room and one of the employees was on the phone cursing and using racial slurs, the manager who's name was James told me nothing could be done. When we got to the room it was atrocious, Smelled terrible, no water, no coffee, and no room service was available. This was a nightmare, and I will not give this hotel a lower rating because the website does not permit me to.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Carlos C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our 2-year-old daughter, with my parents staying in a room across the hall from us - we stayed for 2 nights (Wed-Thurs) in the "tower" area of the hotel. Check-in was easy, staff friendly, rooms were clean and well-appointed, and halls were fairly quiet (important for sleeping toddlers!). We swam in the pool, which was rather nice, especially as it was midweek and we had it to ourselves. We also tried the breakfast buffet, which was fairly standard (it's the sort of buffet that is often free in other hotel chains), and was well-attended by friendly and helpful staff. There are restaurants in reasonable driving distance if you want to venture out for meals. Given that this hotel was nearly $100 less expensive per night than some other choices in the area for the same dates, it was an excellent value!

Room Tip: We did a little prior research which indicated that the tower rooms were quieter than the lower floo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KireiC
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

So my friends and I stayed at this hotel at end of August for one night.

Staff - terrific! Very helpful and friendly. Nicole was great in assisting me when needed to have food delivered.

Rooms - stayed at standard two double bed rooms on the 1st floor. The size of the room was your standard size. The bathroom could have been better. The tub was chipped. The bathroom walls had pieces missing. Found a dead spider on the floor.

The hotel used to be a Marriott Hotel and it needs some updating.
As I said, could have been better.

• Stayed August 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel was chosen by my business for a stay from 8/7-8/11/13. On the upside, the room was clean, the room temperature was appropriate and the hotel manager Maria G. and front desk person James provided excellent service.
However, there are many downsides. When I checked in, I was asked for a credit card for incidentals. The person checking me was not paying attention and placed a hold on my account for the entire room stay. When I alerted the staff to this issue, they refunded my account. Twice. So I had to meet the manager in her office the next morning before work, so that they could contact my bank. It is 6 days later and my account is still in disarray. When I checked out, I was told that I had charges to my room but the front desk person was unable to tell me what they were and I wasted time trying to get her to explain it to me. My key cards worked once. Every time I attempted to enter my room, I was unable to and had to wait for maintenance or housekeeping to come up and let me in. The wifi is nonexisent unless you were up at 5:30 AM as I was several days- so impossible to work from the room. Also, during my stay there were exceptionally loud tourists and the hotel was unable to get them to shut up.

Room Tip: Good luck and be prepared to overpay for what you get.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JackiY2013

Travelers are raving about these Somerset hotels

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I had a terrible two night stay at the hotel. We've stayed in dated hotels before, that's fine... but there's a big difference between dated and filthy. Our room was absolutely filthy. It had a terrible musky smell and my allergies acted up immediately. There was literally a huge hole in the middle of our bed sheet. The bed was very uncomfortable and my husband and I barely slept both nights. Ugh. Continuing the awful experience, the wifi was virtually nonexistent. It was incredibly slow when it worked, however, most of the time we were there it was completely down. When I called down to the front desk the staff responded rudely and seemed unconcerned about the issue, simply saying "there's too many people trying to connect." In my opinion, that's a completely unacceptable excuse in 2013. There were bugs crawling on the elevator floor which completely grossed me out. Overall, it was a terrible experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JulzyKev
Swampscott
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

They are bad. infested 7.24.13 Our students were bit. Manager not made available. Staff rude refused to admit. I took photos and still refused manager call. Bed bugs bed bugs bad will bite infected. Inform clients and be careful this was nit a goid situation.

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank Nancyleah W
CJWhitten, General Manager at Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Our property remains alarmed by this recent review because we are always very concerned about the comfort and safety of our guests. Consequently, the property has followed up with a comprehensive extermination inspection thru outside professional services which certified that no active concern exits. The property considers this feedback as truly valuable and useful. Therefore, our property will also make sure that our team remains helpful, professional, and committed to offering management assistance whenever requested.
Wantagh, New York, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After reading the reviews here, I was a bit wary of staying at this hotel (which was chosen by our son's lacrosse team for a tournament). What a pleasant surprise! Many of us arrived early and they bent over backwards arranging early check-in for us. Front desk people were very helpful. Our rooom was nicely sized for the 3 of us and the beds were comfortable. The room was clean and nice. The bathrooms are on the older side, but clean so it didn't bother me at all.

Workout room was large with working equipment (something I have come to appreciate after stays at other hotels! The boys seemed to really enjoy the pool although I personally did not use it!

Buffet breakfast was fair to middling, but heck it was free! Service was excellent at the buffet--be sure to tip the waitress!!

Room Tip: We were fortunate enough to be put up on Floor 11...REALLY NICE and quiet at that !!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family