“It could be better”

Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
“It could be better”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

So my friends and I stayed at this hotel at end of August for one night.

Staff - terrific! Very helpful and friendly. Nicole was great in assisting me when needed to have food delivered.

Rooms - stayed at standard two double bed rooms on the 1st floor. The size of the room was your standard size. The bathroom could have been better. The tub was chipped. The bathroom walls had pieces missing. Found a dead spider on the floor.

The hotel used to be a Marriott Hotel and it needs some updating.
As I said, could have been better.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel was chosen by my business for a stay from 8/7-8/11/13. On the upside, the room was clean, the room temperature was appropriate and the hotel manager Maria G. and front desk person James provided excellent service.
However, there are many downsides. When I checked in, I was asked for a credit card for incidentals. The person checking me was not paying attention and placed a hold on my account for the entire room stay. When I alerted the staff to this issue, they refunded my account. Twice. So I had to meet the manager in her office the next morning before work, so that they could contact my bank. It is 6 days later and my account is still in disarray. When I checked out, I was told that I had charges to my room but the front desk person was unable to tell me what they were and I wasted time trying to get her to explain it to me. My key cards worked once. Every time I attempted to enter my room, I was unable to and had to wait for maintenance or housekeeping to come up and let me in. The wifi is nonexisent unless you were up at 5:30 AM as I was several days- so impossible to work from the room. Also, during my stay there were exceptionally loud tourists and the hotel was unable to get them to shut up.

Room Tip: Good luck and be prepared to overpay for what you get.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JackiY2013

Travelers are raving about these Somerset hotels

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I had a terrible two night stay at the hotel. We've stayed in dated hotels before, that's fine... but there's a big difference between dated and filthy. Our room was absolutely filthy. It had a terrible musky smell and my allergies acted up immediately. There was literally a huge hole in the middle of our bed sheet. The bed was very uncomfortable and my husband and I barely slept both nights. Ugh. Continuing the awful experience, the wifi was virtually nonexistent. It was incredibly slow when it worked, however, most of the time we were there it was completely down. When I called down to the front desk the staff responded rudely and seemed unconcerned about the issue, simply saying "there's too many people trying to connect." In my opinion, that's a completely unacceptable excuse in 2013. There were bugs crawling on the elevator floor which completely grossed me out. Overall, it was a terrible experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JulzyKev
Swampscott
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

They are bad. infested 7.24.13 Our students were bit. Manager not made available. Staff rude refused to admit. I took photos and still refused manager call. Bed bugs bed bugs bad will bite infected. Inform clients and be careful this was nit a goid situation.

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank Nancyleah W
CJWhitten, General Manager at Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Our property remains alarmed by this recent review because we are always very concerned about the comfort and safety of our guests. Consequently, the property has followed up with a comprehensive extermination inspection thru outside professional services which certified that no active concern exits. The property considers this feedback as truly valuable and useful. Therefore, our property will also make sure that our team remains helpful, professional, and committed to offering management assistance whenever requested.
Wantagh, New York, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After reading the reviews here, I was a bit wary of staying at this hotel (which was chosen by our son's lacrosse team for a tournament). What a pleasant surprise! Many of us arrived early and they bent over backwards arranging early check-in for us. Front desk people were very helpful. Our rooom was nicely sized for the 3 of us and the beds were comfortable. The room was clean and nice. The bathrooms are on the older side, but clean so it didn't bother me at all.

Workout room was large with working equipment (something I have come to appreciate after stays at other hotels! The boys seemed to really enjoy the pool although I personally did not use it!

Buffet breakfast was fair to middling, but heck it was free! Service was excellent at the buffet--be sure to tip the waitress!!

Room Tip: We were fortunate enough to be put up on Floor 11...REALLY NICE and quiet at that !!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Beverly Hills
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Was in NJ for graduation and chose this hotel based on reviews. It was a 45 min trip from family I was visiting but was worth the trip twice a day. Very clean, quiet, our room in very good repair. I cannot think of any complaint about our stay. Travel companion 9 year old grandson who was elated to be on the top floor of 11 story building. Bed was comfortable, wake up calls done as requested and room cleaned and neatened daily. Cannot rate food or other amenities as only there to sleep. Lobby and outside entrance kept beautifully. Nice small pond with water lilies and Koi just outside of main entrance. Elevator quick and quiet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Barbarra F
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with some friends while attending an event at the GSEC next door. We liked the location, our room was on the side of the hotel closest to the GSEC so we could easily walk between the two buildings. The beds were comfortable and it seemed that our room was recently updated (new TV and furniture) compared to some other rooms we could see through the windows.

Unfortunately the stay had some downsides. The jacuzzi was out of order. I'm sure there were reasons for closing it down, it would have been nice if the staff had let us know at check in that it wouldn't be available. The jacuzzi and pool was one of the biggest selling points of the hotel for us since we'd be working long hours at our event all day and were looking forward to relaxing. The pool was open but freezing so we didn't use it for very long. The ice dispensers didn't work, again it would have been nice if the staff had let us know before I had to lug our cooler around the entire hotel, trying every machine. At one point a staff member stopped in the hallway and watched me attempt to use an ice machine, but never said anything about them all being out of service and took off before I could ask for help. I was finally able to get ice from the restaurant, but that was an ordeal too (the hostess seemed confused I would ask even though the front desk sent me there and she kept yelling at me in spanish - no idea what since I don't speak spanish). The bathroom in our room didn't have a vent so it steamed up after each shower making the mirrors unusable (an issue when 3 women are sharing a room and need to do their hair/beauty regimen). The bathroom also had a lot of mildew in it which was gross. The rooms were not well insulated either - when going to bed we could hear everything happening in the hallways, even when people weren't talking loudly.

The restaurant wasn't worth the money. The prices weren't bad but the food was a step above the kids menu at a chain. Also there was an 8th grade dance happening in the room next to the restaurant so the sound bled into it, making dinner anything but quiet or relaxing.

Overall the stay was OK. For the price, there were too many issues. I'd probably look into staying elsewhere if I'm in the area again and only come back if this was the only available hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends