“A few jewels missing in this Crowne”

Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Reviewed May 19, 2008

My wife and family stayed here for one night pre-cruise prior to our departure from New York City to Bermuda. We were disappointed in the overall quality of the Crowne Plaza and would not recommend the hotel to anyone venturing to pay rack rate.

We were assigned to the property after securing a $49 (62 w/tax) dollar bid on Hotwire for the New Brunswick area. Patrons of that site should use caution as this is hotel is somewhat isolated from anything except the highway and not that close (about 15 min.) to downtown New Brunswick.

Our first room we were assigned to was filthy as a bucket directly outside our room door was collecting water from a leaky ceiling tile. The cabinet to the "entertainment center" was off the hinges and posed a tripping hazard for our young son. The bathroom was dirty and the second room we were assigned to didn't offer much of an improvement. The staffers seemed indifferent and slightly annoyed as we brought this to their attention.

Service at the hotel was slow and overrun with teenagers attending a local event of some sort. The food at the restaurant was decent but the servers appeared tired and disheveled. It did the trick for a one nighter but there are some better chains in the region. We had a very nice stay at the Hyatt Regency New Brunswick and will opt for that in the future.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed May 6, 2008

I got this hotel room for $40 through priceline...If you look at my history of posts, you will see I always nail a good price. Rates on the Crowne website are normally above $100 and in some cases approach $140, though they will take much less on Priceline.

I kinda feel sorry for this hotel, if one can feel sorry for a hotel. It used to be a Marriott and was built in the 70s. Marriott dumped the property and it went "no'name" for several months and probably would have closed if Crowne Plaza not purchased it. The place is enormous, and looks like a "big city Marriott" with over 400 rooms and mega conference rooms and nice lobby, with the typical bar/restuarant..

Problem is, the place is nearly deserted. I spoke with some of the workers there, and they said 10-15 years ago, the place was alive, and almost always sold out to business travelers. Years ago apparently the bar there was happening and there was energy. Sounds like a big city Marriott, which is a great exepience.

When I was there on Monday night, a BIG business day in the world of business travel, I estimate this place being maybe, maybe 25% full - It may have been closer to 15%. I was on the second floor and the place seemed deserted. When I went to get ice, the machine was broke, so I went up to the 3rd floor, the 4th floor and the fifth floor, still no ice. I realized that the last two floors the ice machines and soda machines were unplugged, and the floor was dark and quiet, meaning they shut down the entire floors due to lack of guests. Problem is, there is a total of 11 floors, just to give you an idea how empty the place was - I highly doubt anyone was staying above the 3rd floor. When I woke up in the morning, there were like five newspapers in front of doors on my 2nd floor, meaning the place was near empty.

It was just kinda spooky being in a place so big that was so empty, I ate at the bar that night, and while the food was good, the place had only three other people in it. A very weird feeling being in a place that dead. I spoke to one of the workers there and asked him why it was so dead, and he acknowledged newer properties close by opened up the last several years and hurt their business.

The room was nice. It was renovated to look like a Crowne, but beware its right off the highway, so ask for a room away from the highway as the noise kept me up for a couple hours.

Given the available inventory and the price they were selling rooms on Priceline, I doubt Crowne will have too much patience with this hotel - there was a reason Marriott dumped it. I am sure Crowne Plaze is wondering what they got themselves into, 20 years ago I bet this place was "the place to stay" in that neck of the woods. Now its just an old, tired property. But for $40, it was a great value

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed March 11, 2008

This is an hotel that will surprise you in a positive way. From the outside it's just a plain and sad building near a motorway. Inside it's not. It's cozy and confortable. The staff is very helpfull and the rooms very spacious. Free car parking. If you're on the move it's a terrific place to rest for the night before hitting the road again.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed February 11, 2008

I booked my room via the hotels reservationists and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. I haven't heard to much about Crowne Plaza but when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised. We booked a pre-paid reservation and got a great deal @ $67 a night. The staff was professional and kind in assisting my mother and I find a restaurant to dine. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, both business traveler and pleasure seeker alike.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2008

I booked this hotel for myself, teens, and hubby to attend our 97 year old grandmother's funeral.
I won this hotel on a $46 bid thru Priceline and I have to say, I was a bit nervous after looking at some of the reviews posted here. You cannot imagine my surprise when we arrived and saw a VERY nice lobby, professional staff, nice lounge, and an equally nice room.
$46 for a hotel and room this nice is a STEAL in North Jersey! This hotel is located in a business park, and was quiet considering we were there the day after Christmas and the next. Got a good night's sleep both nights. We didn't worry about our car being parked outside; the area seemed relatively safe. Took the kids to Ruby Tuesday's to eat, which was located a mile or so as you went further into the corporate area.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I'll keep this simple. There is no better deal in this end of New Jersey than the Crowne Plaza. I've stayed in this hotel several times booking through Priceline. This hotel has all of the amenities that you could want: Restaurant, Bar, Pool, Gym and Meeting Rooms. The food in the restaurant is exceptional, pricey, but worth every penny. The drinks at the bar are also a bit pricey, but again, you get what you pay for. The pool is clean and really nice to hang out at in the summer. The gym has all of the standard machines that you would expect to find in a well stocked gym. In the rooms, you are also offered movies and video games should you care to purchase them. All in all, an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 26, 2007

I'd stayed here a few times when it was a Marriott, and was quite pleased back then. The reviews during its time as the Somerset Plaza scared me enough to go to the Courtyard down the street (which is very nice).

But now that this is a Crowne Plaza, it's once again a property worth visiting.

Pulling up the weekend before Christmas it was evident the place was empty. No surprise, since this is an area catering to business travelers (and folks like us looking for an inexpensive, quiet place to stay while going to NYC). In fact, the only surprise was that the Crowne Plaza and the Courtyard were the only two hotels in the vicinity with realistic pricing.

Check-in was quick (as was check-out). The room, while not gigantic, was clean and comfy. While the bathroom looked a little older it was fine. The shower had plenty of hot water and good pressure. The bedding was of good quality.

Glad to see that this hotel has come full circle.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family