“Red Cross NJ disaster” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Barry, IL
“Red Cross NJ disaster”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Liked workout room and spa. Loved breakfast! Front desk personnel very cordial and helpful. Servers in restaurant very prompt with meeting one;s needs and requests. Any place that allows Red Cross to stay there is great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel last month. I have to go to the airport in the morning, so I asked morning call at the front desk and I asked her if there is airport shuttle from hotel to LGA, She said there is no airport shuttle service, but she will call taxi for me. I told her I found the best deal to LGA with $90, so if the price is higher than 90, I will not use it. She said, if I use the taxi through her, the price would be $70 and then she gave me a name card. Next morning, there was no morning call, I missed flight, when I call the taxi which she introduced to me, he arrived 40 min late, and I missed another flight again. Finally, at the airport, the taxi driver said I have to pay $170 not $70. I told him Jennifer (the front desk woman) said your price would be $70, that's why I chose you and I have no cash of $170. He said if so pay with credit card and the fee would be $180.
Due to the no morning call, I missed flight twice, paid double charge to airport and I spent all day at the airport finally, I missed whole day meeting with delayed flight schedule.
That is amazing service of this hotel!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Hyojung K

Travelers are raving about these Somerset hotels

Great Neck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've read most of the reviews of this hotel on tripadvisor.com, Yes it is an old crown plaza, yes some parts look like it needs some love. But for the price that you pay, you truly cannot beat this. I recently stayed here for two nights because I had to be at a trade show at the Garden City convention center down the block so this hotel was VERY convenient for me. The property is nicer than any of the Days inn-esque hotels. My room was warm when i wanted it to be and cold when I wanted it to be (thermostat worked!), sheets were changed daily, four pillows on my bed, comfortable comforter and the breakfast buffet were all part of my experience. All in all, if you stay here expect the equivalent of a slightly run down Marriott or slightly run down hotel of that nature but for 90.00 a night with free internet and breakfast, it cant be beat. If you are there for business this is the right hotel for you! If you are there with your family, you will survive with little to no complaints however if you want a step above there is a double tree suites and a Marriott both within 5 miles. i think the double tree is down the block.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pragerfse
Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Somerset this past weekend to attend a social function there. I admit to being a bit nervous after reading recent mixed reviews about life there after its recent Crowne Plaza de-flagging so I hoped for the best and things turned out pretty well for the most part.

As it was indeed a former CP property, I was surprised that refrigerators and microwaves were only available upon request. We did call in to request a fridge in advance but they were already out when we arrived at the hotel at 4:00pm on the first day of the event. When I called the front desk to express my disappointment and request and extra ice bucket to keep our perishables, someone did come up quickly with a filled ice bucket.

The room itself seemed a little small for the king size bed. My wife didn’t find the mattress very comfortable. I found the pillows too soft for my personal taste but since we were provided with four, I doubled up on two and had a passable rest.

The strangest thing about the room was the lack of storage. The furniture where the widescreen TV rested on featured three very small drawers to the left and an empty space on the right where the refrigerator would have been. The two nightstands featured slim drawers that would barely fit my pocket change.

We went down for dinner at the hotel’s restaurant Fuzion’s Grille. We thought it was odd that the restaurant was practically empty at 7:00pm. We soon found out why. While they offered (and we accepted) a buffet dinner for a reasonable $12 per person, the selection was limited. We also noticed that service for another guest’s takeout order was rather slow. We decided to go to the nearby Somerset Diner the next evening and saw more than a few fellow guests there. They obviously knew something that we had yet to learn.

I decided to spend some quality time in the hotel’s pool area to soothe my aching muscles in their Jacuzzi. I had to walk through the fitness center area which was surprisingly expansive with its selection of cardio equipment, strength stations and dumbbells. The subsequent walk down the steps to the pool was fine for me but may be a bit steep for those with mobility concerns. I never got in the pool but the Jacuzzi did the trick for me.

In the end, I enjoyed the events at the hotel more than the room we slept and relaxed in. There is a Holiday Inn Express that is practically walking distance from the Hotel Somerset. Should we come back for another social function, we might choose to stay at that hotel instead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Danbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Just back from 3 days at Hotel Somerset. For paying under $100 per night I was pretty satisfied. Room was mostly clean, but did have severe mold behind the sink faucet. That area seemed damaged and was black with mold or mildew. Bed was comfortable, staff was mostly very wiling to help. They just seemed to miss on a few picky details. Examples, the in room coffee for two days did not include a stirrer, the ironing board was barely hanging in there, the elevator required a 7 minute wait one morning, floor bath mat only one day of stay. The two things I would say are consistent and required a warning is the noise from the highway (keeping the fan on the ac all night only partly solves this) and the wifi, while free, was nearly impossible to use. They give you a password, but you are never required to enter it. So the wifi is unencrypted and open to the public. On top of that, even with a strong signal, it ran between 1Mbps and 12 Mbps. Even my iPad was not able to be used. This resulted in not being able to catch up on work in the evening. Last warning is that while the staff at breakfast is great, the buffet is one of the worst I've ever experienced. Miserable powder eggs, nasty looking sausage and potatoes, stale pastries from multiple days ago. Hint though, after I appeared disappointed, the staff did provide some bacon and French toast. So my advice to mgt is to fix that breakfast, fix the wifi, and pay attention to the details a bit more in order to rise above average. Can't do anything about the road noise except provide earplugs.

Room Tip: Try for concierge levels. The breakfast on the 10th floor lounge is edible
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This hotel is no more a part of Crown plaza. Since this hotel has recently moved out of the brand chain the rooms & beds are still OK but currently there are serious maintenance concern. Nothing actually worked ( the alarm clock , 2 lights , refrigerator making noise ) & the staff has no idea what to do. Very limited supply in the bathroom.

Room had a refrigerator but no microwave. I asked for one and after a lot of internal discussion withing staff they offered me one. Immediately after the 1st use it stated burning from inside. Called atleast 5 times for replacement then a replacement was sent but that did not have the tray. On asking they said you have to adjust with that as they don't have any..

Regarding the location , it's a kind of very remote location with nothing around. I was looking for Milk for my Kid and one of the staff directed me to the bar where i can get a glass of milk for 5 dollars +tax..Theif ???

Thank god for the lady in the hotel general store who offered me the entire gallon for 5 dollars.

Guy's if you are in hospitality business , please check your behaviour

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the tower
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank SKDas
Newark, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater was chosen as the overflow hotel for a weekend event being held at another pair of hotels down the road. I paid $99 per night, not including taxes and fees. I was on the 3rd floor with a courtyard view, near the elevators. I was only in my room to shower and sleep. I would absolutely stay there again.

Driving up, the place looked empty and, possibly, abandoned. Walking in, the hotel was spacious, and the lobby was empty except for the gaggle of staff members. I’ll admit, I was taken aback by the smiles and 'hellos'. Check in went smoothly and the TWO attendants who worked on my reservation were ridiculously nice, professional, and quick (although no one told me how to get to my room). I read the signs and found the elevators. Paranoia test number one: the elevator doors (on two cages out of three) sounded like they were in pain. The ride was fine, but those doors...I quickly located the stairs. There was no vending machine on my floor, which was annoying, and I went to bed hungry because there was also no welcome packet offering the possibility of room service or takeout. The convenience store was open for a bit and was expensive, as expected. They had a decent variety of items and some bakery treats of which I did not partake.

The room was clean, free of bugs, dust, and other gross things. The bathroom was the same, thank goodness. There was no weird hotel smell; the air was just...neutral. The electrical outlets were sparse, and, therefore, all being used for the lights and TV. I had to use the bathroom sockets to charge my electronics. The bed was ridiculously comfortable, and the pillows were small, but numerous. The walls and vents were the biggest source of any annoyance, because I could hear everything my neighbors were talking about. Luckily, my neighbors weren't awful people from what I could hear.

The coupons for free buffet breakfast were sweet, and breakfast was enough to get me moving. It wasn’t good, by any stretch, but they had the basics, which resembled food. The service, however, consisted of a hostess and a waitress, so waiting for fresh coffee was painful.

I did use the hotel shuttle, which had been pre-arranged by my event host. Our driver for the weekend, Keon, was very safe, and courteous.

Checkout was easy, but I wished they had more baggage carts.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo