Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“It's Not Crown Plaza anymore...”

Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Los Angeles, California
“It's Not Crown Plaza anymore...”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This hotel is no more a part of Crown plaza. Since this hotel has recently moved out of the brand chain the rooms & beds are still OK but currently there are serious maintenance concern. Nothing actually worked ( the alarm clock , 2 lights , refrigerator making noise ) & the staff has no idea what to do. Very limited supply in the bathroom.

Room had a refrigerator but no microwave. I asked for one and after a lot of internal discussion withing staff they offered me one. Immediately after the 1st use it stated burning from inside. Called atleast 5 times for replacement then a replacement was sent but that did not have the tray. On asking they said you have to adjust with that as they don't have any..

Regarding the location , it's a kind of very remote location with nothing around. I was looking for Milk for my Kid and one of the staff directed me to the bar where i can get a glass of milk for 5 dollars +tax..Theif ???

Thank god for the lady in the hotel general store who offered me the entire gallon for 5 dollars.

Guy's if you are in hospitality business , please check your behaviour

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the tower
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank SKDas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The Hotel Somerset-Bridgewater was chosen as the overflow hotel for a weekend event being held at another pair of hotels down the road. I paid $99 per night, not including taxes and fees. I was on the 3rd floor with a courtyard view, near the elevators. I was only in my room to shower and sleep. I would absolutely stay there again.

Driving up, the place looked empty and, possibly, abandoned. Walking in, the hotel was spacious, and the lobby was empty except for the gaggle of staff members. I’ll admit, I was taken aback by the smiles and 'hellos'. Check in went smoothly and the TWO attendants who worked on my reservation were ridiculously nice, professional, and quick (although no one told me how to get to my room). I read the signs and found the elevators. Paranoia test number one: the elevator doors (on two cages out of three) sounded like they were in pain. The ride was fine, but those doors...I quickly located the stairs. There was no vending machine on my floor, which was annoying, and I went to bed hungry because there was also no welcome packet offering the possibility of room service or takeout. The convenience store was open for a bit and was expensive, as expected. They had a decent variety of items and some bakery treats of which I did not partake.

The room was clean, free of bugs, dust, and other gross things. The bathroom was the same, thank goodness. There was no weird hotel smell; the air was just...neutral. The electrical outlets were sparse, and, therefore, all being used for the lights and TV. I had to use the bathroom sockets to charge my electronics. The bed was ridiculously comfortable, and the pillows were small, but numerous. The walls and vents were the biggest source of any annoyance, because I could hear everything my neighbors were talking about. Luckily, my neighbors weren't awful people from what I could hear.

The coupons for free buffet breakfast were sweet, and breakfast was enough to get me moving. It wasn’t good, by any stretch, but they had the basics, which resembled food. The service, however, consisted of a hostess and a waitress, so waiting for fresh coffee was painful.

I did use the hotel shuttle, which had been pre-arranged by my event host. Our driver for the weekend, Keon, was very safe, and courteous.

Checkout was easy, but I wished they had more baggage carts.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Frau T
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 26, 2012

The hotel which was formerly a Crowne Plaza appears to be a little run down. The location sucks. It is not close to anything, the restaurant has a limited menu. The rooms are clean and the hotel is clean. If you are not attending an event here I don't know why you would stay here though. If youre not driving cab rides are VERY expensive (about $5 per mile).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JacobAdam
Reviewed April 3, 2012

The facility is clearly showing signs of wear and tear and could benefit from a significant renovation project. The guest rooms are comfortable and clean but the corridors, bathrooms and meeting spaces are worn and dated. The staff is responsive and pleasant. Overall it is acceptable but it would not be my first choice in this area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Philip R
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed March 14, 2012

The current name is "The Hotel". It seems to have changed ownership. A car is recommended for accessing Easton Avenue and the surrounding areas. Parking is free. Wi-fi is free throughout the hotel and guest rooms. Staff are courteous and go out of their way to accommodate guests, including special requests.

The room and hotel were clean. Double rooms are on the small side, so be mindful if you're considering more than two people per room. Rooms located on the far wing of the hotel are not close to the elevators. Beds are comfortable and were recently upgraded. A refrigerator is located in each room.

I've rated the hotel as average due to''

Restaurant was not open for seating at dinner. You had to eat at the bar, order take out or room service.

The breakfast buffet had a variety of choices but the cooked food was mediocre. The potatoes were soggy and bacon was tasteless. You don't have the option to make a fresh waffle.

The hotel isn't bad. It is a 3 star property that I recommend if you're in the area for a short time and the price is right.

Room Tip: Request room close to have a room in the main building of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Mondetravel
Jamaica, New York
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I'd advise you not to stay there. I stayed there in July 2011 b/c I had to take the NJ bar exam. The door to my room was broken (off the hinge). I repeatedly called the front desk to rectify the problem and b/c of some other pending issue they took almost an hr before someone showed up. The guy came and used a drill to try and fix it but only made it worse. He told me to lift the door to make it close. I think not. Then the staff said they were booked and didn't have another room for me. Bottom line-door wasn't fixed and I got another room and did NOT pay for my hotel stay after complaining. This problem dragged on from 8-10pm when I should have been sleeping since I had an exam the next morning. Needless to say I didn't pass and I'm staying somewhere else for my 2nd attempt at the exam.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Sandra D

Travelers are raving about these Somerset hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed January 26, 2012

The Crowne Plaza had a package deal for New Year's Eve - room for two, full course dinner, band, DJ, appetizers, open bar and breakfast buffet the next morning. We booked two rooms for ourselves and another couple. We arrived early at no extra expense; we were graciously accomodated at the front desk. As my partner checked us in I took a quick look around the main foyer. It was nicely decorated with black and white leather couches, some lamps, some tables - all very clean lines. Upon closer inspection I noted that the black couches all had tears which were covered over with black duct tape. The white couches also had tears, but management might not have been aware that duct tape also comes in white, as those tears were left without covering up. I then noted that every surface was smudged, not terribly, but noticably when one considered sitting down. The floors were clean but stained as if they'd only been wet mopped and not actually cleaned. I assumed the foyer was a busy place and cleaning was most likely left to more needy places.

The Room:

We found our room on the 15th floor - our friends had a room roughly across the hall. Their room was half the size of our room for some reason, which didn't bother us but they seemed put off by this. Our room included a bar area which was filthy and which did not have a refrigerator. The glasses were disgusting. It looked like someone had dipped them in mop water, they were covered in old, gray lint and dirty scum. The entire bar area was covered in a film of dust, dirt and scum.

The carpeting was gross. It wasn't that old or worn, but it was dirty and stained. Not that it hadn't been vaccumed - you could tell it was vaccumed - but there were blotches of stuff stuck to it, and stains of varying types. I made sure not to walk barefoot.

The bathroom was questionable - someone had used the toilet and, um, left something there for us to discover. Not a lot, mind you, but enough to let you know someone had used the toilet and hadn't bothered to double flush to get it all out. Gross. Me. Out. It's hard enough to deal with that with my own family in my own home with my own toilet. After that discovery I inspected the bathtub. I found a moldy showerhead and mold in the crevices around the tiles. The cauking was a tad moldy, and the tub and walls looked as though no one had bothered to wipe them clean in a long time.

I immediately inspected the bed to look for bed bugs - delightfully (and surprisingly), there were none. That's a very positive thing I can say about the room - no bugs!

The Party:

The party was for 400 people, and at the last moment the staff added tables across the hall to accomodate folks who wanted to attend the party but who weren't staying the night at the hotel. So there were roughly 500 in attendance. The party was fun - we met a lot of nice people. The drinks were indeed free all night and did not appear to be watered down. The food was very good - the appetizers were delicious, however we had to call over the servers several times as they'd pass our table often without stopping. The courses were good, however the fillet mignon we were promised was extremely thin - as if one medallion had been sliced into four. For the price we paid to stay and eat, we expected better, but didn't complain. I had more drinks than I could drink, and though the line was long there was no limit on how many you could get - two hands, two drinks, all night long. Nice! The band was - meh - not so great, but the DJ was good and played an array of genres to make everyone happy.

My main impression of the hotel and staff is this: these are tough times, and the area around this hotel isn't doing as well as it once did, many businesses are gone or are no longer sending travelers here. The staff was sparse, and though the hotel staff did their best to accomodate and provide for their guests, there's only so much you can do. So, the room was awful, but we didn't expect to stay in the room the entire time. I wouldn't stay there again unless there was another big party like the one we attended, mainly because the room was so dirty. If the hotel were to do better business perhaps they'd hire more maids, or perhaps they need to inspect the rooms better because the maids aren't doing a great job. I certainly would not have left a tip had I stayed more than one night. The party and the front desk staff are the reason I even consider three stars; without those elements, I'd have dropped that to two or one and one half.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple