“French in New Jersey”
Review of Sophie's Bistro

Sophie's Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Sophie's Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 121 Restaurants in Somerset
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Classic French Bistro
Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you've ever been to France, you will know as soon as you pull into the parking lot that Sophie's Bistro is an authentic French bistro. Food, wine and service are all top-notch.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great soups, great meals, great atmosphere!! From holiday specials to enjoying wonderful meals, I would go to Sophie's Bistro.

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

It's always a pleasure coming to eat here. The atmosphere, the waiters and most of all the food is spectacular! The owner Peter is absolutely wonderful, taking the time to talk to each table and make sure everyone is having a great time. Easily my favorite restaurant! Would for sure recommend to everyone!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I suggested three restaurants to my husband for our Valentine's Day dinner, and he picked Sophie's Bistro. They had a four-course, prix fixe menu for the night, and everything we selected was cooked to perfection. Our waitress was a little over-attentive, and the restaurant a little over-full for a romantic experience, but it was very festive. For appetizers we chose shrimp cocktail (him) and a delightful little savory tart with zucchini (me). The salad was tasty, made special with pieces of fruit. His entree was fish served over potato cakes, and he was very impressed with the flavor and presentation. I chose Cornish game hen with a fennel cream sauce - yum, yum, yum! Desserts - chocolate mousse for him and sponge cake with Bavarian creme for me. I adore that this wonderful restaurant is within blocks of my home. The staff are all friendly and efficient, the cooks are amazing and the regular menu is splendid.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

To begin, I am biased. Biased because I have been going to Sophie's for 10 years. Biased because I live in central NJ and often dine in New York and I still think this this is one of the best places to eat.
As others have noted, the Onion Soup is amazing and something I crave when I have been too long away. The other appetizers are also good and imaginative.
There is both a standard menu and a seasonal one so even someone like me does not get bored with the choices. My husband loves the pepper steak and most of the fish dishes. I love the mussels and the salads and the salmon. Yet one of their secrets is an incredible burger. I have it medium rare with goat cheese and it is marvelous.

Sophie's is both expensive and moderately priced, it all depends on what you order. There are good to very good $20 bottles of wine and more expensive ones. A lunch of soup and quiche comes with a generous salad and is just right.

The desserts are good, not the best in central jersey but good and the coffee is more European than American.

Go enjoy.