“Worst Housekeeping staff on the planet”

Homewood Suites Somerset
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Phoenix
“Worst Housekeeping staff on the planet”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I travel for a living and stay at hotels more than my own home. I believe that a hotel is represented first by the front desk staff, second by the housekeeping staff. The front desk staff was great but During my 6 week stay not once could the housekeeping staff do their job. 1) they would not replenish the bathroom amenities - so I complained , they got it right 50% of the time after that. 2) they did not leave me coffee , I take that back they left decaf only and no cream or sugar. I complained but it must be to difficult to actually replenish on a regular basis so I gave up and bought my own. 3) Checked in on 5th week and found my room devoid of any comforter or extra pillows, night clerk did not know what was up so he kindly put me in another room . Next morning they claimed I had requested all feather items be removed from my room (I had not) and looked stupid when I said well if that were true why now and not the other 5 visits.. No answer 4) Trash was not emptied - I am convinced this is because I complained. 6) No dish cloth to wash dishes or wipe counters after I cooked left dishes in sink because of this and what we are supposed to do. which leads me to 7) greasy pan left on stove top and no counters wiped down... I am going to a different hotel on the next trip in 3 weeks because I have had it with this place. May sound petty but I depend upon the hotel staff to make me feel less like a traveler and more at home. I would usually leave a gratuity but in this case forget it. Oh yes and the refridgerator was installed with opening on left side so you had to open the door before you could get into it - not easy because it was in front of the dishwasher....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviewed March 28, 2010

My wife and I attended a wedding in the Somerset area and took advantage of a great pay-in-advance weekend rate at the Homewood Suites. My wife and I are very discriminating travelers and when I heard her exclaim "Wow" when we entered our modest studio suite, I knew we made the right choice. Our 2nd floor suite was impeccably clean and functional. The Bed was super comfortable. Although there was an early crowd for the breakfast, we were pleased at how the staff handled the rush and the top quality of the food offered (scrambled eggs, potato pancakes and a delicious quiche).

The thing that really motivated me to write so glowingly about Homewood Suites is the "no problem' response of the staff to every request made of them. Earlier reviewers had limited experience with the staff other than checkin/out; however, when we needed a little flexibility with the timing of our wedding, Makia, the front desk manager, came through for us. She should be commended for being most hospitable. After mentioning the possible need to return after check-out to use the public rest rooms to change from church attire to reception attire, Makia offered us a clean room to change and freshen up between events. Although we did not need to take advantage of the offer, we were pleasanlty surprised by it! There is no doubt in our minds that when we return to the Somerset area again, Homewood Suites will be our top choice.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Homewood Suites are my favorite chain for business travel, and the Somerset location was no exception. Although it was a bit run down, the room was a great size and the hotel was generally quiet. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant and I was able to sleep very well for the two nights I stayed.

The hotel could use a bit of refreshing and the kitchen area in my room was pretty understocked, but generally, I would recommend this location.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Raleigh, Nc
Reviewed October 9, 2009

This was my first stay at Homewood suites after all the Residence Inns and Staybridge suites.

I stayed here on my visit to New York. They had a very good price online. I stated in a one bedroom king suite. Everything was amazing about the room. Except for the old TVs.

The bathroom had neutrogena products. The buffet breakfast was good but not great. The pool was good, nice hot tub.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
NYC
Reviewed February 7, 2009

We came on a Friday night and was pleasantly surprised to find out we were upgraded from a studio suite to a one bedroom suite. It is our first time to stay in a Hilton hotel and we are very happy customers. From the very first moment we arrived, the front desk lady was very nice and made us feel right at home. She told us all about the available amenities and the time we could access the pool, spa, business center, etc.
The suite is lovely. The kitchenette area has dark wood floors. There is a toaster, microwave oven, ice maker, silverware, microwaveable items, pots and pans, the works. There is complementary popcorn that is on the coffee basket, and I thought that was a very nice touch.
The bedroom is sort of small. However, the overhead fan with light makes a good appeal to the room. They offer neutrogena bath products and I do have to add that there is complimentary mouthwash. These days, mouthwashes are a rarity in hotels.
I will definitely stay here again. It is a perfect place for a family, as there is even a half basketball court in the premises.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 3, 2008

Cannot add too much to the other reviews. We were pleasantly surprised by a nice complementary light dinner with one glass of wine or beer (except weekends and holidays), hot limited breakfast buffet (not cooked to order). Excellent staff and, of course all suites + kitchenette. We had a good free internet connection.

• Liked — Very upscale for a pet friendly hotel
  • Disliked — slightly out of the way location
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albany, NY
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for a trip to Sesame Place. The hotel was very nice, clean and inviting. Stayed in a room with a King bedroom and a pullout in the living room - more than enough space for the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids). Had a stocked kitchenette area (plates, cups, silverware, pots & pans) so if you were staying longer you could have small meals there if you wanted. Enjoyed the indoor pool and jacuzzi. The continental breakfast was fabulous! Great selection of fresh foods - omelets, bacon, french toast sticks, waffles made to order, juices, coffee, cereal, fruit...a really great spread!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Traffic
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family