“Gorgeous hotel..Nice Price and good stay”

Homewood Suites Somerset
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Tampa, Florida
“Gorgeous hotel..Nice Price and good stay”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

This was a very good stay in New Jersey. I guess on the weekends it is better to get a room because it is cheaper in this city. So the normally $160.00 room, we got for around $105 with taxes included. The hotel was nice. It was like a mini apartment. All of the rooms are suites, but I think they have studio suites, and suites with different rooms in them. We stayed in a studio suite which was nice. We got one room, and had to switch to a different room because we did find nasty hairs in the mattress, and on the sheets. The lady working on the night shift was nice and called to make sure our room was okay. The second one was. I also liked that the shampoos they give you, and soaps are neutrogena and not the cheap stuff a lot of hotels offer. The beds were extremely comfortable, and were spacious. It wasn't a king room, and instead had a queen mattress which turned out to an extra 10.00 if we wanted a king bed. So the beds were a little smaller, but an upgrade is available for an extra fee. Then there was an excercise room there with really nice equipment. It had two treadmills, and some free weights, and another eliptical. The television didn't have many channels on it though. Also the rooms advertise that they offer paperview movies, but in our room we couldn't access it. They said they would give us a new room if we wanted one, but we didn't want to move. They promised they would have it fixed the following day, and when I got done working out they didn't have it fixed yet so the front door guy gave us some free stuff from the 24 hour store. They also let us swim in the pool and hot tub past 10pm which is the normal time it closes. The toilet did break and nobody came to fix it.

They have a business center which was opened 24 hours.

The following day though they gave us a late check out, and a wake up call at 1230, the girl at the front desk still called and said, "You know check out is at 12pm" and I told her we got a late check out and then she said that it was based on approval, and if she wanted to charge an extra fee she could. But she said she wasn't going too. I got the feeling she had an over inflated ego, as a hotel clerk. To make matters worse although I had paid on a debit card the second day, they said my debit card had been declined. I only owed 2.00 so I knew that something was wrong. When I looked at the bill she had put an extra 50.00 charge on my bill, and I called and told her that something was wrong. She said well next time you need to be aware the rooms go up on the weekdays. Well for as long as I can recall Sunday is a weekend day not a weekday. She did adjust the bill, but still I didn't like her attitude, and I wasn't happy that she tried to charge me an extra 50.00, and had I put money on my card she would have charged the card and I may not have been made aware of it. So at this hotel I would most definitely watch my bill to be sure nobody was putting an extra dollar amount on it. Also there was a lot of kids at the hotel running up and down the hotel halls. The hotel is a pet friendly hotel w an extra fee attached to it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from all the boistorous kids running up and down the halls.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank briella01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Overall, the room was nice and the staff was attentive. They called me in the room soonafter checkin to make sure everything was ok with the room.

I was in a non-smoking room on the 4th floor near some smoking rooms. So walking down the hall was walking through a haze of cigarette smoke with a nasty smell. And the same smell was noticeable in the living room, too.
Given this and the fact that that its located 25 miles from my work location, I won't be back.

• Stayed September 2011
HotelManager72, Manager at Homewood Suites Somerset, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were not happy with your room assignment. We strive to make sure all guests receive the room they are expecting. Please try our Suite Selection tool the next time you stay with Homewood Suites to reserve exactly the suite you want. It can even help you select a room that is further from our smoking rooms. Once again, I apologize we were not able to accommodate your room choice on this trip.
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stay here while visiting the area for my daughter's sports events. Rooms are spacious and clean and the full kitchen is helpful. Great location - close to everything. Friendly staff. Only negative is inconsistent housekeeping on the weekends. We leave so early that we've never taken advantage of breakfast, but it's nice to have.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor to avoid noise from above.
upstate, NY
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Very clean hotel. Breakfast was fantastic! We had to leave earlier than breakfast started the first morning and they actually put out bagels and cold cereal for our entire softball team at 6am. Couldn't ask for more. Class act-would highly recommend!!~~

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank suziwoo
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We have stayed at this Homewood many times in the past and everything is usally quite nice. The same cannot be said for our most recent stay. We were there for Father's Day weekend visiting with family. The hotel is still pretty clean and well kept, but the beds in the room have seen their best days. There wasn't anything remotely comfortable about our sleep over that weekend.
While there, I had an unfortunate slip and fall in the pool area, hurt my ankle and knee and was taken by ambulance to St. Peter's hospital. I waited for a half hour, lying on the wet floor, before the hotel staff called for the paramedics. My husband was told that they had just switched to a new insurance company and the insurance info would be waiting in our room when we returned from the hospital. It wasn't. We have called the hotel to speak to the General Manager, Danielle Hunter, and left voice mail messages on at least 5 occasions and have yet to receive a return call. It's a shame this hotel has come to this and even more unfortunate that the Hilton name is being trashed in this way. It's the closest hotel to our family, but we can travel another block and find many others. We will never stay at this Homewood Suites again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
HotelManager72, General Manager at Homewood Suites Somerset, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
I hope you will accept our sincere apologies if you feel you were not treated with the utmost respect during your recent stay. Our staff goes through intense training to ensure our guests not only have a hospitable stay but they are also trained to treat emergency matters very seriously. That being said, it is a hotel policy that all insurance matters are handled directly by our claims adjuster so that every is assured an efficient and professional claim. I do apologize for any frustrations and will work with all on-property and supporting hotel staff to make sure situations like yours are not repeated. We hope you reconsider Homewood Suites Somerset as we do value you as a customer and once frequented guest.
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We purchased a room online that had a queen bed and a foldout full sofa. The room was beautiful, with a great bathroom, kitchen, and TV. The only problem was the pullout sofa. The A/C vent blew air right on the sofa making it impossible for anyone to sleep there. If we turned off the A/C, we sweated and the room smelled faintly of smoke. If we left the A/C on, whoever was on the couch froze. My thirteen year old daughter ended up.crawling into the queen bed with us. The pool area was really nice.

akron
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Our recent trip to Homewood Suites in Somerset was everything we expected - and more. We were visiting family about 20 miles away and found this gem based on Trip Advisor reviews. We couldn't have been happier with our choice. Check in wasfriendly and efficient. The rooms were nicely configured and spacious and our stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family