“Good, but you can do better”

Extended Stay America - Somerset - Franklin
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Astoria/Long Island City, New York
“Good, but you can do better”
Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

Recently stood at Extended Stay for the Anime Next Convention, so we just needed a base to rest at and shower at. I've stayed at Extended Stay in Chicago near Midway Airport, so I knew what I was getting. My friend had only stayed in a hotel once prior, when she was 5.
Staff at the main desk was very friendly. When we got to our room, I quickly noticed a smell that resembled soup, alphabet soup. It was only in the kitchenette area, and would not go away that easily.
Almost every time we went out, there was never anyone at the front desk! And this was prior to 11pm, when the main door is locked. So if you need something urgently for your room, flip a coin, because there may not be anyone around.
If you are here for the convention center and do not own a car, either stay somewhere closer or prepare for a good 20 minute walk. There is a Subway, a pizzeria (guy is from Brooklyn, so the pizza is awesome), a breakfast bagel place, sports bar (closes at midnight, kinda sad for a sports bar), a chinese (traditional, not the ones you see in the city), and a japanese restaurant.
Extended Stay does not have breakfast, so stock up your fridge especially if you don't have a car. Vending machines in the laundry room have snacks, sodas, water, and any toiletries you may have forgot.
It was good for what we needed the hotel for. But if we come back next year, we may stay at either Doubletree or Holiday Inn simply because events of Anime Next and other Conventions take place in those hotels, which are right next to the Garden State Exhibition Center. It's a matter of convience. But if you need a cheap place to crash during a business trip in the area, if you have a car, give Extended Stay a try. The beds are much more comfortable than other reviews make it sound.

• Stayed June 2012
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Somerset - Franklin, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay Somerset NJ. We have reciently renovated and painted the entire property.I hopethe new ESA will be more to you standards. We know our guests have a lot of choices in making reservations for thier stays. I hope that we will see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We booked for our family at the extended stay somerset.We were 25 minutes early and the receptionist said we have to wait 40 minutes,because the check in time was 3 pm.The rooms are ok for 2 people,but not for a family.Internet was slow.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank derek s
I am very sorry that you had a poor experience waiting for your check in at our Hotel. We do strive to ge the rooms clean and ready as soon as possible.
Reviewed April 2, 2012 via mobile

I though this was a great hotel choice for my needs. The kitchen with fridge, microwave and stove were just what I needed (all clean..this is very important to me). Not knowing the area I depended on the staff for guidance. Had a great experience with all, especially the Mgr, his name was Sy. I will be returning for business early summer and will definitely stay again. I have already recommended this hotel to my co-workers.

Stayed March 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Somerset NJ.  Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure.  My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction.
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed January 5, 2012

hotel in the category of Candlewood, Homewood and other extended suites but a bit below in class. priced a bit lower - I can see why - no fitness area or pantry, no shampoo in the shower. otherwise clean and neat. Heater quiet. Situated in a business area where there is a mecca of hotels. Very little restaurant choice within walking distance; malls several miles away. Staff friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank NERoadWarrior53
Bangalore, India
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Had to stay in this place before settling in my apartment. Was overall good and clean. Very friendly staff and was able to answer almost everything.

Just a couple of issues - terrible internet (one time fee of $5). Never ever choose this hotel if you have any work based on Internet or even if you spend good amount of time in videos. It takes more than 10 mins to buffer a 2 min long video in Youtube.

Free local calls from hotel room. Though its more of my mistake - do ensure to understand which numbers are actually otherwise you might end up paying huge, like me! :(

Room Tip: Free local calls from hotel room. Though its more of my mistake - do ensure to understand which numb...