“Disappointed”
Review of Courtyard Somerset

Courtyard Somerset
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I'm a Marriott preferred member, and stay in Courtyards all the time. For this trip, my usual two (Basking Ridge and Whippany) were sold out, and this was the next closest one I could find. It was a great price, so I did it. I was disappointed. The hotel needs a major updating...the elevator lights were nearly burnt out, the outside lighting was poor (as a female, I don't care for dark/poorly lit parking lots for safety purposes), the hallways were pooly lit, and the rooms were outdated. The room I had came with 2 beds, one of which had crumbs on the sheets. The tub in my room did not drain, and some TV stations didn't work (ABC and NBC). I call the front desk about the TV and was told that they've had that problem for weeks, and there was nothing that could be done. I didn't know about the tub until the morning I checked out- I did let the front desk know when checking out. The receptionist did apologize for the inconvenience.

Overall, the experience was just less than standard for Courtyard. Reading these reviews, it's possible I had a fluke, but there are definitely areas for improvement.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Heather W
tlcsomerset, Manager at Courtyard Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Courtyard by Marriott Somerset. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, including areas for improvement. I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with the satisfactory experience you deserved during your recent stay. Your feedback will help us ensure that situations like this will be handled more swiftly and effectively in the future, ensuring that all of our guests experience an uninterrupted level of comfort during their stay. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Somerset

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times. I have always had a pleasant stay every time and when booking reservations, try their site directly. Most stays are less than $75 on weekends. An added benefit is there is a Ruby Tuesday connected to the hotel, so if you have a couple of drinks, you don't have to worry about driving.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for staying at the Courtyard Somerset. I greatly appreciate you for taking the time to give feedback about your stay. I'm pleased to know that we achieving our goal of making each an enjoyable, and memoriable stay. I look forward to have back again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Originally we intended to spend one night here but with the first snow in the Northeast this season we added a second night to avoid being on the roads.

Rooms: Pleasant enough. Clean bathroom. Flat screen TV, refrigerator, microwave, sofabed and also a balcony. Free Wi-Fi that works well in the lobby as well as the rooms.

Lobby: Open and vibrant. Large screen TV plus booths to have coffe with individual flat screen TV's. Bistro is open 6:30-10:30 a.m. and does serve Starbucks and some simple cold and hot breakfast items. Additionally there is complimentary coffee/tea for guests during the same hours.

Pool: Although we did not use it, the pool/hot tub area looked like a wonderful retreat whether there for business or personal reasons.

Outside sitting area: With winter on hand we did not get to use this area. We could see from our balcony however a great sitting area outside with couches and even a firepit.

Check-in: Checking in and out was quick and effortless. Free parking and rolling cart for any luggage if needed.

Would certainly come back here either for business reasons or a quick get-a-way night since we live close to the property.

Room Tip: Rooms by elevator can tend to be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our family stayed here for a wedding event. It was very nice. The room was clean and up to date. The lobby was comfortable and the front desk help were very attentive and gracious. We had a nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My family and I stayed here during the wrath of the late October snowstorm which knocked out power in our hometown for 5 days. The courtyard was ok. The first room we had the toilet didn't work and they had to move us to another room as their was no maintenance people available. They have a pool and a little gym. A Ruby's Tuesday is connected to the hotel. We got dinner from there and because it was delayed by 40 minutes they gave it to us for free.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sgtpet
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We have been coming to this hotel for the past five years for Rutgers Football every
fall and the service and quality has been very consistent. The hotel staff is very friendly
and helpful. It is a great location for getting to the stadium as you just cross the river and
immediately exit to River Rd. to the stadium. It has a Ruby Tuesday attached to it so if
you are not inclined to go out after a long trip, or inclement weather, you can get dinner
in the restaurant or have room service. There is a breakfast bar available in the morning
for an additional cost. There are a number of good ethnic restaurants close by the hotel.
Good value.

Room Tip: Get 5th floor room if available.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 19, 2011

This hotel was clean and business-like. I had an overnight in the area and this was less expensive than other hotels. Internet worked great.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business