“Overall good stop, some annoyances”
Review of Courtyard Somerset

Courtyard Somerset
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Cheshire, Connecticut
“Overall good stop, some annoyances”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here the night of July 22 with my family on our way to visit my parents for the weekend. The hotel is located conveniently off I-287, the parking lot is well-lit, and the lobby was clean, spacious and inviting. Check in was prompt, and the room met the standards we have come to expect from Courtyard. What turned this good review to just average were a few minor annoyances that added up:

1. The pull-out sofa bed had a broken leg. Since my stepson was so tired, we made do with using a pile of cushions for support, instead of going through the process of changing rooms. We informed the staff just for maintenance purposes.

2. There is a Starbucks in the lobby - but the hours are very limited. Just wish I had known about it before trekking down there only to find it closed.

3. The jacuzzi tub in the pool doesn't heat up.

Knowing what I know now, I still would stay here again, because the maintenance issues are just minor annoyances which can be addressed by simple maintenance, and knowing the hours of operation of the various amenities will not only help me here, but also be a reminder for stays at other locations.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, UK
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I often stay here when working in New Jersey, and am a big fan of the value for money the hotel provides. The rooms are a little "old school", in that it is heavy on the air conditioning noise and the wireless internet can be spotty depending on the room, but overall for rates around $100 that is to be expected. What makes this hotel great however is the staff, all of home are unbelievably professional and friendly, and resolve any issues without hesitation.

I would however caution staying here at the weekend, with the two times I have the hotel has been overun by groups of slightly over-excited children!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Our family of 4 stayed here overnight in June 25th b/c we were visiting friends who live close by. We had a room w/ 2 double beds which was large enough for us. The room was clean and so was the hotel. My neurotic friend checked for bed bugs and was happy she found nothing.
It was quite disappointing that the indoor pool was VERY cloudy and the hot tub jets weren't working, but the kids didn't mind. Otherwise, the outdoor courtyard was very nice, it reminded me of something from HGTV. We were able to sit out there with 4 adults and 6 kids and enjoy our pizza that we had brought in from a nearby pizzeria.

I expected this to be a budget hotel and that's what it was.

Room Tip: King rooms have balconies, Queens do not.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ilovetravelphotos
Central, NY
Reviewed June 28, 2011

The room was big and very nice but our AC didnt work properly all night. Also, the jacuzzi didnt work and the pool wasn't cleaned after a children's party the night before. Breakfast in the hotel was good but not great. If you just need a place to sleep after a function, this will be adequate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Vienna, VA
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We selected this Marriott when we had a short family stay nearby. The hotel is situated among a group of about half a dozen of the major chains, close to the Interstate exit. The exterior is clean and the parking is well lit. The lobby and eating area was recently renovated and was inviting. We did not use any of the facilities (pool, exercise or restaurant). We had a problem with our room which was very quickly resoived. When we opened the sofa bed, the legs were broken and the bed would not remain in a horizontal position. The front desk quickly transferred us to an adjacent room and fortunately we had not yet unpacked.

It would seem that something as obvious as this malfunction should have have been noted previously and corrected so the room was ready for use.

Our only other issue which happens in many hotels is that the AC system has lots of noises when it starts and stops. This was noticeable while we tried to fall asleep.

Overall, this Courtyard offered a pleasant basic no frills stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Beacon, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2011

From check-in to check-out, all the staff was very friendly and professional. My wife and I were very surprised with what we got, especially given how reasonable the rates were. We felt like we were in a much higher rate hotel.
The lobby was very tasteful, as good as any fancy hotel (completely updated/renovated) and was better designed than most.
The room we stayed in (single king bed) was very large, clean, and looked new.
The service was excellent! Just recently we just stayed at a Hyatt Regent and they nickle and dime you for everything. In contrast the Courtyard had complimentary WiFi (the Hyatt charged), room was very spacious, and had a better cable selection. The room was decorated very nicely (no horrid peach or predictable maroons and greens). And there was everything one needed in it: Hair drier, Iron & board, nice size bath room.
Also, in the hotel there's a decent 24-hrs fitness center. Everything was clean and looked renovated.
Somerset is not near the water or anywhere else one would vacation, perhaps why the rates were so good. But if you're in the area or even kind of close, it's well worth the stay. We would stay here again in a heart beat if we were ever in the area again. We strongly recommend this hotel. Great job to the staff & management!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank australianscent
tlcsomerset, General Manager at Courtyard Somerset, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Courtyard Somerset. I greatly appreciate you for taking the time to give feedback about your stay. I'm pleased to know that we achieving our goal of making each an enjoyable, and memoriable stay. I look forward to have back again soon.
nc
Reviewed April 19, 2011

After a horrible mishap with another hotel nearby that overcharged us for their nasty old rundown hotel, we found Courtyard by Marriott and was pleasantly surprised! What a BEAUTIFUL hotel! The decors was modern and clean, such a nice room with good amenities. The prices was very reasonable and the staff were nice and helpful. I was very pleased with my stay here and would be staying here again next time if I am ever in the area. The only thing is it's secluded away from nearby shopping/restaurant/business areas but decent for a one day stay. Beds were comfortable, rooms were clean. Good free parking. Ruby Tuesday next to the hotel. Loved it here!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo