“Good food”

USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My favorite local restaurant. Bring some wine and enjoy a nice meal. Their pasta sauces are excellent and varied. There is always some good special. The chef knows how to make a good sauce. You can't go wrong. Even something like Pasta Primavera which you might expect to be ordinary is extraordinary. Good bread and complimentary fresh salads or soups served with meals. Soups are good and the salads are actually quite fresh and good with tomato, onion, carrot and some olives. I have been a customer for years and have never had any complaints. I would truly miss this place if it were not around. A simple, homey, good friendly place to relax and enjoy good food. I've had dishes like pasta alla norma and pasta paesana from their specials board that were great but just picking any pasta with a sauce should make you happy. And the prices are very reasonable.

• Visited September 2013

Travelers Rest, South Carolina
“Not great Italian”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was looking for a non-chain restaurant on a business trip to NJ and figured that a nice family Italian place would do the trick nicely! What a mistake. Let's start out with the good things. The pasta (rigatoni, in my case) though out of the box, was cooked al dente and the server was pleasant though overworked. I had veal parm - a normally safe choice. The "homemade sauce" looked and tasted like it was made from canned tomato soup and the veal was loaded with gristle. Salad was iceberg lettuce with a couple of carrot slices and an Italian vinaigrette that had a bit too much sugar and too few herbs.

I should have gotten pizza.

• Visited January 2013
Pennsylvania
“Great Pizza, Good People”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

A nice old style pizza with a good menu. Certainly worth the stop if pizza is your crave.

Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Badda-Bing! This NJ eatery will keep you coming back for more!”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Although I live in the UK, I have been going to Village Pizza for thirteen years when visiting NJ annually. My friends who live locally go far more of course, and it never lets them or me down. VIllage Pizza occupies a modest looking portion of a strip mall in the suburbs of Somerset, NJ, but on the inside it has a rustic feel. But you don't come for the decor, you come for the grub. You can bring your own beer or wine, so I recommend a visit to the liquor store in the mall over the road (the one with the IHOP in it). Make sure you buy something that goes well with a wide range of Italian foods. The Village Pizza menu is big and delicious, and there are always tasty, tempting specials. Your server will bring you a giant basket of bread - but don't fill up on it, because there's more to come. Entrees come with soup or salad, both of which arrive in decent sized portions. My husband and I had the tilapia special - baked in a super tomato and garlic sauce served over spaghetti. In the past I have had the white clam sauce which I love. Other great specialties include the vodka sauce and the pizzas. My daughter enjoyed a creamy, cheesy fettucini alfredo. This is a restaurant good for meaties and veggies alike, with plenty to choose from across meat, fish and veggie options. The portions are satisfying without being stupidly big, which I like, and they're good value at about $15 (especially given that they come with soup, salad and all that bread). Overall, Village Pizza is a hidden gem in the heart of suburban NJ. It's got strong competition in the immediate area and beyond, but I and my NJ friends keep coming back for more. It's the Italian eatery against which UK Italian restaurants continually fail to measure up! Badda-bing!

• Visited July 2011