“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed July 27, 2014

There were a few good diners in the greater metropolitan Washington, DC area where I lived for many years and I enjoyed them.Usually for breakfast, but not always.

After reading the reviews here I approached Somerset Diner with the belief that it would probably be pretty good. There were some who wrote "not that good", but I went in confidently. The parking lot was not jammed but there appeared to be a pretty good number of folks having dinner on a Sunday evening, but no line.

And it had the right look upon first entering. Counters and booths, big displays of tempting desserts, bright and cheery. And I was greeted cheerily by staff.

Looking for a lighter meal I asked about the day's soup and the waitress gave the cream of turkey a strong endorsement. Ultimately the best thing I had, it was mediocre. Literally, "Not bad."

I also ordered a spinach salad topped with grilled chicken. While it was a generous bowl of green with a full breast sliced on the top it was so bland that it did not inspire me to eat as much as half.

My bill came to $17 with just an iced tea added. A bit high for such a forgettable meal.

Maybe I would have enjoyed one f the pasta dishes more. Perhaps a big Sunday morning breakfast would have been more memorable. But I doubt I'll go back.

One note, they are BYOB, so if you'd like some Chianti or a glass of white zin with your Italian selection pick up a bottle before you head over there.

But I'll head somewhere else.

There are newer reviews for Somerset Diner

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

We came to this diner while staying overnight in town. We were so glad we did! The waitress was friendly and helpful when we asked for suggestions. The food was delicious! I ordered a stuffed filet of sole dinner and I was so thrilled. It was cooked perfectly and the vegetables that came with it were tasty unlike some that are just steamed. My husband ordered a meatloaf dinner and he too was very happy with his dinner. My children noticed how great it was and said that this was the best diner. Their desserts were excellent! If I'm ever in this area again, I will certainly dine here.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Wow is all I can say about the French Toast at this place. I was totally unlike any other I have ever had. I think made with Cinnamon bread. It was totally awesome.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Went in with the wife and kids for a Memorial day brunch (aka picky child wanted lunch food)... living in New England, we've been to all types of diners, good, bad and neon lit... we stopped in and was seated around the back of the diner (lots of seats so i assume it gets crowded). Between us we had a skillet meal, monte cristo, choc chip pancakes and chicken fingers... portion size was large, and food quality was great - the home fries were especially good. Seemed like fresh food - chocolate milk was hand mixed as well - signs of a good diner... the waitress who served us was very friendly and made us feel right at home... only thing keeping from a 5 was really the cold greeting and paying process - front staff/ management not as inviting as the servers - again - breakfast/ brunch meal - so cannot tell about dinner meals (but menu looks promising)

1  Thank erik f
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Nothing special about this place, except the location, which can be the only reason it is always packed. The food and service is OK, but I travel out of town when I want diner food.