“Ok, but nothing special”

Anchorage Tavern & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 77 Restaurants in Somers Point
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed June 11, 2019

I guess I was expecting more, but the food here was just average. The decor us nice but nothing special. The service was also OK but nothing special. I had the broiled seafood and only barely finished it. The potatoes arrived with an aluminum skin (an automatic deduction). The dining room was very crowded and noisy.

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank Jeff W

Reviewed May 24, 2019

Where do I begin this review because of the totally inattentive service? First, the menu is extensive and reasonably prices. This is an old fashion tavern with rustic decor. Beer at the bar was served quickly and I was given a menu right away. What I was not told was that food is ordered from a separate waitress and I was not told how to get the waitresses attention when I was ready to order. So while sitting at the bar with a menu in front of me, I was not approached by a waitress, not told by the bartender how to order food. A couple who came in after me was waited on and served their food while I still sat at the bar waiting. I would have ordered an entrée, but I waited so damn long to order I just ordered soup and sandwich. When I was finally able to order, I ordered the soup and before I could even order anything else the waitress "that's it?" Not politely, “would you like something else” Curtly “that’s it?” I also noticed that another person who at the bar who also had a menu left without ordering food. And another had a problem with their order. And then I waited and waited for the crab bisque to be served. Very good portion for price. The pulled pork sandwich was OK, but not worth the long wait. Finally, the temperature on bar thermostat set at an uncomfortable 75 degrees. Two separate checks. Two separate tips. Too unimpressed to return. Next time I am in the area, I’ll try somewhere else for dinner.

2  Thank P F B
Reviewed May 8, 2019

My wife and I went there for a date night. We normally go to another restaurant in Somers Point but decided to try something different.

It was crowded when we arrived and a long wait, but the bar had a few open seats and are more than accommodating for people choosing to have their meals at the bar. We had a couple of drinks, which were reasonably priced and well made.

For an appetizer we had their mozzarella "sticks" . They were huge and I was afraid I would be chewing forever but they were pleasantly soft and tender and delicious. I had their steak and scallops special and my steak was well-seasoned and delicious and the scallops were perfectly cooked.

The service was fast and friendly, especially at the bar when you drink is always full!

I definitely recommend this place.

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank TheNJBen
Reviewed May 7, 2019

Always a favorite with the locals, you will not be disappointed here, whether you are looking for something light, casual or top of the line entree, they make it all❣️The prices are amazing for the quality and quantity of deliciousness, I guarantee you won’t walk out hungry and an amazing value! Do yourself a favor and try it, I promise it won’t be your last visit

2  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed May 4, 2019 via mobile

Decided to try a place that we have never tried before and this was the place. When we arrived the parking lot was packed. Good sign! Had to wait 45 minutes to be seated. A good place is worth the wait, right? We were seated in an area that was enclosed outside. Chairs were plastic lawn chairs that were a little uncomfortable. The waitress was very personable and well attentive. We ordered shrimp scampi with broccoli that was very under cooked and filet mignon. Both were flavored ok, but the filet was gristly and fatty. In my opinion filet is one of the best cuts of meat and should not have any fat or gristle. I did not eat a quarter of the 11 ounce steak. We let the waitress know and she gave us a discount that we told her we did not want. It was a nice gesture. Sorry but we won’t be back.

1  Thank _cristfamily