“Great concept, needs some work on execution”

Fitzpatrick's Deli & Steakhouse
Ranked #8 of 71 Restaurants in Somers Point
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Connecticut Ave.
Transit: NJ Transit available on Route 9.
Description: Fitzpatrick's serves hearty breakfast,deli lunch and steakhouse dining for dinner. All entree selections are house made using the finest quality ingredients. Catering include both on and off premise options for private and semi-private functions.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

As a local who has had great sandwiches from Fitzpatrick's Deli, I was excited to see how they did with dinner. The new place is very nice, comfortable, upscale looking, modern. One bad point is it was freezing cold! I heard waitresses apologizing to another table for the temp, which led me to believe they didn't have much control over it.

The menu looked outstanding, really different type things than you can get other places. Kind of on the expensive side, don't expect deli prices. We started with Reuben egg rolls, $8.95 for 2. They were good, but maybe a little skinny for the price, could've used more corned beef. They came with Russian dressing for dipping. Next came a very small salad and very good bread. Butter was in a dish vs. the little packets you have to open individually, and not too cold to spread (one of my pet peeves is ice cold butter served with room temp bread).

I ordered something called French-cut chicken breast, which came with spinach and au gratin potatoes. The chicken ($14.95) was a small but delicious 1/2 breast, expertly seasoned and cooked. The spinach was also delicious, perfectly cooked and with a lot of flavor. The potatoes were a huge disappointment. I ordered this dish mainly because the thought of creamy, cheesy potatoes was very appealing, but these were done in a lasagna style, with slices of undercooked potatoes stacked with unmelted cheese slices. This was also served cold, though I don't think it was supposed to be. It was really almost inedible, and I should have sent them back, but was too hungry and didn't want my chicken to be ruined by waiting for them to re-do the potatoes.

My partner ordered short ribs, served with mashed potatoes and vegetable. His mashed potatoes were ice cold also, really his whole dish was cold (only my potatoes were cold) and he did send his back. He did not think his ribs were good, in fact he is convinced he was served pot roast cut into rib shape. He would have complained more, but he held back out of deference to me and ensuring I had a nice time.

The service was excellent. Our server was attentive, and very concerned and apologetic about the things we were unhappy with.

All in all was disappointing. I would give them another chance (with a heavy sweater in tow), as I feel it may be a matter of knowing what's good and what to stay away from, but we probably won't go back because my partner is not one to give another chance when he feels he was served poor quality food.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We really like Fitzpatrick's. Since they moved into a new bigger spot it is a bit easier to get in for breakfast. They never disappoint at lunch or dinner but they are the best breakfast in Somers Point. Try the Jewish Apple Cake.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I love the new location. The old one had character, but this new one gives you a little more room to move around in and isn't so dark. Food is still great, lots of fantastic choices. Still my number 1 in Somers Point!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Love the new location. Great menu for breakfast or lunch. Food is always tasty and served hot. Service is always great. Plenty of parking.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I've been here many times for lunch - always good sandwiches, fries, etc.. Never had a bad meal.

Went for dinner and the food was horrible and the prices outrageous. 6 piece fried shrimp dinner is $22.50 - absurd; steak and pork even more money - more ridiculous -they need to reduce their prices for dinner. Sandwiches are still offered for dinner and at decent prices so order those instead - avoid the Dinner meals

Crab cake was horrible - could tell even before I ate it, that it came out of a frozen box. Potato skins were not that great either. Not impressed with the taste or the prices - I could see if these prices were in a good restaurant in NYC and I've eaten at good restaurants in NYC, but for Somers Point it's way overpriced

Staff was friendly and nice, although a bit slow getting our check. Stick here for lunch or eat their sandwiches for dinner, avoid the high priced awful dinner meals