“Freshest Food I have Ever Had”
Review of Latz's By the Bay - CLOSED

Latz's By the Bay
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: New Jersey Avenue
Transit: Bus stops one block west at New Jersey Avenue and Shore Road
“Freshest Food I have Ever Had”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I walked to Latz's and had what tasted like the freshest most wholesome food ever! If you are looking for heavy creamy sauces go some where else. If you want a unique fresh from the farm taste head over to Latz's! I would definitely call and make a reservation.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Doug W

Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Afternoon Tea for Mother's Day”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I had tea at Latz's today. It was the best tea I've ever had and I've been to quite a few. The sandwiches and scones were fantastic. Our tea included a choice of soup or salad and they were also both delicious. Each of the mini desserts which were served with the tea was great and homemade including a mini creme brulee, mini cheese cake, chocolate truffle and fruit tart. The homemade scones came with homemade lemon curd and clotted cream. My daughter, who couldn't join us, had them make me a layer cake with Happy Mothers Day on it, and that was also fantastic. My husband, who likes to eat, was quite full from the entire meal and we actually left with food to bring home.

If you are a fan of high tea, I would highly recommend going to Latz's for tea. I believe they serve this Thursdays, Friday and Saturday afternoons but I would call to check. Enjoy!

• Visited May 2013
pa
“Beautifully decorated, delicious food”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The restaurant setting is a beautifully decorated building with lots of tasteful touches including a bevy of spring flowers. The owners personally take care of your entry and exit. The menu is just what you would want at a brunch. The scones were delicious although very small. The clotted creme must be the restaurant's own recipe as it is a bit sweet. The waitstaff are not pushy nor do they rush you. The food is served promptly and with nice presentation. Our choices were done to perfection with a nice salad with salty-citrus dressing. If you are looking for a "family food trough"...Latz is not for you...this is a full service experience.

• Visited March 2013
NJ
“Delicious !!”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We went to Latz's on Saturday night and had a great meal. We had gone when they first opened a little over a year ago. We did not like that experience at all! We thought we may never return. But then we read the AC Press review a couple of weeks ago...it was a very good review...and decided to give it another try. We live locally...we love BYOB's..so we were hopeful things would be better. IT WAS FANTASTIC ! We shared the Latz's salad..yum..then we had a side order of the vegetable risotto separately..before our entree. Little pearl onions,butternut squash, and a splash of peas for color. Good stuff. Our entrees arrived...mine was a grilled pork chop..done perfectly. Nice and juicy..I licked ( literally) my plate clean..well ok ..I used the bread. My wife had the shrimp newburg ...she loved it..so much so that I was never even offered a small sample. We were offered homemade desserts...maybe next time. Our server was professional and attentive. The owner Andrew came by twice to check up and make sure things were perfect...which they were.
We don't always give a place a second chance...what's the expression...fool me twice...But this time we did..and can't wait to go back again. I already know what I want...I've got to try that shrimp newburg! Regards Tom and Bev

2 Thank tom d
Philadelphia, PA
“Another Good Meal Here”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have dined at Latz's By the Bay about 5 times this year and but for our last visit in October --when they changed their menu and for some incomprehensible reason did not stock their inventory to be able to provide it (3 of 6 entree items were available), we found the menu to be back to itself and, in fact, more extensive than we expected for mid-winter, off-season dining.

The kitchen here has been consistent in all of our visits. Drew's chowder is a favorite of mine. It is in a light seafoody tomato broth rather than cream based. My partner had the trio of dips, new to the menu, which included a hummus, tapenade and pepper jam. They were each tasty and wonderfully warm pita bread was provided. My partner had the filet which has been consistently good - it was accompanied by a beautiful array of baby vegetables and a potatoe au gratin. I had the salmon which was two pieces of well-prepared salmon separated by a tasty and different mold of cucumber, tomato, fried onion strips and I am not sure what else. I think the cucumber mold is better suited with a summer dish, as I found its coldness took away from the warmth of the salmon and warmth of having a hot meal on a winter's day.

The restaurant was not crowded but even when so, we don't find it overwhelming. We think it is a very charming room that is beautiful in its quaintness and lack of over decorating. The fireplace was going and light background holiday music was in the air, it all made for a very relaxing and inviting setting in which to dine.

This is a BYOB restaurant so you can save greatly on wine costs. Our meal, prior tip, came to $76 for the two appetizers and entres and was well worth it. We will return.

• Visited December 2012