“Delicious !!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Transit: Bus stops one block west at New Jersey Avenue and Shore Road
NJ
“Delicious !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We went to Latz's on Saturday night and had a great meal. We had gone when they first opened a little over a year ago. We did not like that experience at all! We thought we may never return. But then we read the AC Press review a couple of weeks ago...it was a very good review...and decided to give it another try. We live locally...we love BYOB's..so we were hopeful things would be better. IT WAS FANTASTIC ! We shared the Latz's salad..yum..then we had a side order of the vegetable risotto separately..before our entree. Little pearl onions,butternut squash, and a splash of peas for color. Good stuff. Our entrees arrived...mine was a grilled pork chop..done perfectly. Nice and juicy..I licked ( literally) my plate clean..well ok ..I used the bread. My wife had the shrimp newburg ...she loved it..so much so that I was never even offered a small sample. We were offered homemade desserts...maybe next time. Our server was professional and attentive. The owner Andrew came by twice to check up and make sure things were perfect...which they were.
We don't always give a place a second chance...what's the expression...fool me twice...But this time we did..and can't wait to go back again. I already know what I want...I've got to try that shrimp newburg! Regards Tom and Bev

2 Thank ourjetboat

Philadelphia, PA
“Another Good Meal Here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have dined at Latz's By the Bay about 5 times this year and but for our last visit in October --when they changed their menu and for some incomprehensible reason did not stock their inventory to be able to provide it (3 of 6 entree items were available), we found the menu to be back to itself and, in fact, more extensive than we expected for mid-winter, off-season dining.

The kitchen here has been consistent in all of our visits. Drew's chowder is a favorite of mine. It is in a light seafoody tomato broth rather than cream based. My partner had the trio of dips, new to the menu, which included a hummus, tapenade and pepper jam. They were each tasty and wonderfully warm pita bread was provided. My partner had the filet which has been consistently good - it was accompanied by a beautiful array of baby vegetables and a potatoe au gratin. I had the salmon which was two pieces of well-prepared salmon separated by a tasty and different mold of cucumber, tomato, fried onion strips and I am not sure what else. I think the cucumber mold is better suited with a summer dish, as I found its coldness took away from the warmth of the salmon and warmth of having a hot meal on a winter's day.

The restaurant was not crowded but even when so, we don't find it overwhelming. We think it is a very charming room that is beautiful in its quaintness and lack of over decorating. The fireplace was going and light background holiday music was in the air, it all made for a very relaxing and inviting setting in which to dine.

This is a BYOB restaurant so you can save greatly on wine costs. Our meal, prior tip, came to $76 for the two appetizers and entres and was well worth it. We will return.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Stepsite
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Too cramped and noisy!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Reservations are a must, and our table was held and waiting. On a Saturday night last month, it was very busy here and that was the problem. A converted old house - lots of charm but all hard surfaces (wood floors, no curtains) and low ceilings - contributed to a very noisy place that made my ears hurt! The food was not memorable but I think it was probably OK - but it's hard to remember because it was uncomfortably noisy with all the chatter bouncing off the ceiling and walls. I am in no hurry at all to return.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank dale08234
NJ
“SANDY Didn't Ruin This Lovely Sunday Brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had Sunday Brunch for the first time at Latz's the week after Sandy damaged much of the shore line in Somers Point. Despite the grim reminder of Sandy outside, inside was charming and friendly. We ordered from the brunch menu, a house omelette made with peppers, onions, bacon and mozzarella cheese, crispy potatoes with onions and perfectly toasted rye (most restaurants don't toast the rye well enough, can never understand why...). Anyway, the omelette was delicious. We also ordered Eggs Benedict , one of the best eggs bene my husband has ever had, right up there with the eggs bene at the Pierre in NYC. It is made with bacon and fresh crab meat, and the hollandaise sauce is fresh, creamy, tangy, really really good. We highly recommend the eggs bene!! We also ordered a craberry-apple scone, it was wonderful. Freshly made and served with clotted cream and preserves. The coffee was hot and fresh as was the OJ. It's off-season and the restaurant appeared a little short-staffed, but the owner jumped right in to help serve his guests and stopped by to make sure everything was to our liking. We really like the atomosphere here, even in the wake of the storm with all of the resulting damage, there is no more lovely way to spend a relaxing Sunday morning than at Latz's by the Bay sharing a great meal. I highly recommend this restaurant for Sunday brunch with some hesitancy - for selfish reasons!

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank wanderingrnd
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Sunday Brunch--Restaurant Week Somers Point”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our first visit. Very pleasant atmosphere with a great view of the water. We tried it for the first time on a Sunday. They had both a brunch menu and a Restaurant Week Specials. We were with a small group. Some ordered from each menu. The Latz burger was very good as was the house salad. Someone with us had the pancakes and was not very impressed.

Unfortunately there was a party of 10-12 people and only one waitress. The time to get our food was way too long. They said this was theri first Sunday Brunch and next week would have more help. We will not be going back next week.

• Visited November 2012