“Air conditioning didn't work and at night there is no one around to fix that”

The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville
Ranked #1 of 2 Smithville B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We arrived at 10 pm from our wedding reception to a beautiful room whose air conditioning did not work. There was no staff available to address the issue. We stayed up late watchinga thunderstorm and trying to get comfortable in our warmish room. At 630am, the next morning, very bright sunlight came streaming through our lake facing windows to wake us up. The shutters were closed but do not cover the whole big beautiful window and have slats in them that let in extra light.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank saraNj

Reviewed July 8, 2009

I grew up around Smithville so I am familiar with the shops in the quaint Village but I had not stayed at the Barn at the Colonial Inn. We were extremely pleased with our accommodations! The rooms were beautifully decorated each with a slightly different theme and color. It was great to get up in the morning and be able to walk around and enjoy the area and village shops. It was also in a convenient location close to my family, as well as the beach, restaurants and other shopping areas. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Macewans
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Great place to stay and shop. The inn has great places to eat and Atlantic City nearby. Staff very nice and the owners of the stores were all friendly.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Awesome place to stay within proximity of AC with rooms that were stunning and cozy. The Inn is set among a small English "village" replica with shops and restaurants from the early 19th century. Nice to walk around and see all the different offerings. The rooms were spacious and updated with country feel. Everything was on par with expectations. The staff was very nice and accommodating. Breakfast was very good, with muffins, yogurt and juice/coffee. Located near AC (Only 10 min drive) and also close to other restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We paid top dollar for a room that promised a steam shower. It did not work. We notified the front dest and they made no offer of an adjusment of price/

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank HelloeveryoneNj
Reviewed July 5, 2008

I am writing to warn people about the terrible experience I had trying to book a room at the Colonial Inn. I began calling the inn on Tuesday, July 1st attempting to book 3 rooms beginning July 10th (for 3 mights each room). I called every day & received NO RESPONSE. Every time I called I got an answering machine. I then attempted to email the hotel & received no response. On Thursday, I received a very rushed message on my machine from the Inn Keeper, Brenda, indicating that rooms were available & asking me to call back. She did not answer any of the questions I left for her on her machine. I called back on Thursday afternoon & reached a human being on the phone for the first time. The person could not help me & said that Brenda was on the phone with another guest & would call me back. I mentioned that I had been calling long distance for days & was unable to ever reach Brenda. She told me Brenda would call me back. Brenda never called back. On Thursday night, I left a message stating that if the hotel did not call me back by Friday that I would book elsewhere - that I was looking for 3 rooms & had called at least 5 times & also sent emails. They never called back or responded to my emails. On Saturday, I received a call from Brenda wanting to book my rooms - she offered no apology for the delay. I told her that I had booked elsewhere since she never got back to me. She began screaming at me on the phone. She complained that her husband had to go into the hospital & that I should be more understanding. I told her that I was sorry that her husband had to go into the hospital but that I did not understand how an inn could not respond to phone calls on their main phone line - that if she was unable to respond - someone else should have called me back. She began yelling at me again & ranted about her record being "unblemished." She was extremely rude and unprofessional in her conduct. She offered no apology for the delay and accused me of not leaving phone messages.

I mentioned to Brenda that the email address on the website for the inn was incorrect & that messages I sent were bouncing back at first. I told her that when I removed the inappropriate "N" at the end of the address it worked. She told me that it was "not her job to correct the website, that if I wanted it corrected that I would have to phone the owner." I said "don't you work with the owner, can't you tell her to correct the webiste?". She said "it is not my responsiblity, you will have to call the owner if you want it fixed."

I have travelled all over the US & abroad. Brenda has the worst customer service of any person I have ever dealt with from an inn or hotel. Inns pride themselves on personal service. The innkeeper, Brenda, lacks customer service and is in fact extremely rude. I would never stay at a place who has an employee like this working for them. There is a reason plenty of rooms are available at the Colonial Inn - Brenda handles all the reservations & is scaring customers away.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank swimmerxyz
smithville, New Manager at The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2009

I am the NEW Manager at the Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville. (Brenda no longer works here) I am working with the Inn Keeper Wendie Fitzgerald. I love it here at the Inn and I am so sorry your experience was so neggative.The Inn is lovely and I wish you had been given the chance to get here and see it .
I hope that your experience with the old Inn Keeper will not prevent you from coming to visit the Historic Towne of Smithville were we are located. The Village has over 60 specialty shop's, 6 eateries, Paddle boats, a Train that goes around the Village and a Carousel !! Not to mention the over 20 weekend events that are free to the public.
Give us a chance to show you what we are really like here and come visit, you will not be sorry .
Again I want to say that I am sorry that someone who represented this Inn could ever treat you in such a manner,I would never allow it on my watch!!
I hope to see you soon if not in the Inn hopefully in the Village...Tracy, Manager of the Colonial Inn

Reviewed November 25, 2006

At last a small B&B in Smithville near to the attractions of the area! The most wonderful part is that the Colonial Inn is not a motel nor hotel chain. It is a cozy and quaint little B&B. The rooms are not typically hotel/motel stereotypical. They are clean and each one is unique, comfy and cozy. Large basket breakfeasts can be eaten, privately in one's room (delivered or picked up.) They consist of yogurts, choice of coissants, muffins, juices, coffees or teas. There is an afternoon tea. The staff could not be more courteous and helpful. The location is devine in Old Smithville village literally on a small and scenic pond. Several restaurants, bars and shops are steps away. We have been back many times and will continue to enjoy this delightful inn which is most welcome to the area.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank freebird05
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithville
5 mi away
Marriott's Fairway Villas
#1 of 18 in Galloway
Tuscany House at the Renault Winery Resort
Dolce Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club

Been to The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville? Share your experiences!