“Perfect Celebration Venue”

The Historic Smithville Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Historic Smithville Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Smithville
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 9 & Moss Mill Road
Transit: New Jersey Transit bus stop located directly across from the Smithville Inn.
Description: Old world charm meets new world hospitality in this lovely lakeside landmark. A longtime locals favorite serving award winning classic continental cuisine with a modern flair. The restaurant, resurrected from an uncertain future in 1997 by the combined efforts of the Coppola & Bushar families, has since reclaimed its spot among the favorite dining locations in the Atlantic City area.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We held my mom's 90th birthday celebration at the Smithville Inn with a luncheon buffet in the Absegami Room with a view of the lake, last Saturday, Aug. 17th. First of all, planning the party over the phone with Heather, the events coordinator, was easy and straightforward. Heather was efficient, friendly, and thorough, even though we communicated just a few times over the phone. When I finally made it there in person just a few days before the party, Heather took the time to show me the room, the layout of the tables, and where everything was going to be set up. We also needed a Mediterranean hors d'oeuvres display station, a beverage station for wines and soda, a gifts table, a table for place cards, an area for the DJ, a photobooth and sign-in book table, as well as a microphone and screen for the slideshow. Heather accommodated all these without even a moment's hesitation. She also let me taste the wines I had chosen just to make sure they were to my liking, and they tasted great. I was originally concerned about the buffet because the food would be cooking for an extended period of time, but everything was wonderful. The tilapia francaise was the best. The London broil was tender, and the chicken marsala was delicious. The fusilli pasta with grilled vegetables was a wonderful choice, especially for possible vegetarian guests. There were also roasted potatoes and sauteed green beans, as well as a mixed green salad. Everything was delicious and cooked just right. The wines were good, and the champagne for the toast was fine. We also ordered a special celebration cake in addition to the buffet dessert spread, which consisted of cookies, brownies, chocolate-covered pretzels, and some sliced carrot cake. The Smithville Inn provided the celebration cake via the Smithville Bakery, and it was delicious and decorated just as I requested. Complimentary iced tea, hot coffee and tea were also provided. One disaster was averted when my husband accidentally broke one of the vases of flowers just before the party started, so we were short a table arrangement. The maître d' was kind enough to scour the inn for a vase that was perfectly suitable, and he found one that was the exact height of the other vases. We were able to put together the table arrangement, and he saved the day! With so many things going on during an event, it was great to know that the staff at the Smithville Inn was so accommodating, attentive, efficient, friendly, and just wonderful to work with. We have been frequent guests at the Smithville Inn for their wonderful Sunday Brunch, and our family had held a bridal shower and a 50th birthday party there in the past, so we are familiar with the high caliber of food and service that the Smithville Inn provides. However, we still looked into other venues for this momentous occasion. We decided on the Smithville Inn, and after the party, my whole family was so glad, and we all agreed that the Smithville Inn was the perfect venue for our mom's 90th birthday celebration. A big thank you to the staff at The Historic Smithville Inn for our very successful party!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We live in Pennsylvania, and decided to visit Atlantic City with some of my buddies. So we decided to take a break from the beach, and go to Smithville for a nice day of scenery. And then we spotted this cute little bakery and restaurant, and we went and had lunch. The lunch was excellent and the wait staff was great, so be sure to ask for eddy.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Pleased to see this restaurant has not lost it's charm. Menu is diverse and unique. Food was very good, adequate portions. Service was a little slow and it was not busy. A little on the pricey side, but good place to visit for special occassions. Excellent value compared to overpriced Atlantic City restaurants.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

On a recent trip to the Atlantic City area, we went to The Historic Smithville Inn where my family has gone for dinners & events since the 1970's. Since moving to California 7 years ago, I've missed the service that only a family-owned establishment can offer.

The decor still makes me feel like a young boy in a historical setting; sort of like hanging out with Thomas Jefferson & John Hancock, while being attended to by a very helpful waitstaff. I ordered the prime rib special which was so tender & flavorful & a HUGE portion. Roxy ordered the roast duck which she said was the best she ever had. (she even was caught licking her fingers!) She didn't need to since the servers had brought over a finger bowl & extra napkins with the meal.

Would've loved dessert, but was too full. Excellent quality, clean atmosphere & a great service experience. Would recommend over & over.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently stayed a couple nights in Smithville Village and while all the shops and village were nice I would not recommend The Smithville Inn restaurant . We were told that they had live jazz music on Weds nights so we thought it would be worth the extra money for dinner to see the live entertainment. We read decent reviews and figured why not. Walked to restaurant during the day and asked about the show and was told if we wanted a good table for the jazz we would need to make a reservation , so we did just that. When we arrived 15 minutes before the jazz was supposed to start we were led to the small rustic area where the show was going to take place. To our surprise there were only 2 other tables with people at them and a few people sitting at the bar. We were made to believe by the hostess during the day that without a reservation would not be easy to see the show so first thing I didnt like. We were seated and told the waitress would be over in a moment. We sat there for 10 minutes and was totally ignored. Now mind you there was only 2 other tables with people eating not crowded at all. Finally the waitress comes over and asks us if we would like something to drink and we order 1 beer and 1 frozen drink . She comes back 10 minutes later and asks us if we would like to order. Been there 20 minutes and still nothing on table to drink not even a glass of water. I tell her hows about getting us something to drink anything before we give our order. Then we wait another 5 minutes and she finally brings the drinks over. My wifes frozen drink was terrible made from a premade mix and my beer was the wrong beer. I informed the waitress that my beer was wrong and waited once again. Another 5 minutes goes by the bartender comes from behind the bar with my drink and says he is sorry for the mistake. Now 30 minutes in I finally get a drink. We then order apps and dinner. Our app comes in a timely fashion we ordered fried calamri. Comes with a horse radish sauce instead of the usual tomato sauce but not a lemon anywhere on the plate. Wife dosent like horeradish so was looking for the lemon wedges that always come with fried seafood but not here. Waitress nowhere to be found I have to get up and go to the bar and get some from him. Calmari was just ok not the worst i ever had no where near the best just ok. When our dinner arrives I ordered half a roasted chicken and wife ordered one of the daily specials which was a broiled seafood platter. Lets start with my entree the chicken was the size of a pigeon and was so over cooked and dry has hard to eat. The saving grace on my plate were the mashed potatoes but my meal was TERRIBLE ! Next my wifes seafood platter Her came with half a over cooked lobster tail with no melted butter to dip it in. Also came with the smallest piece of filet I have ever seen put on a plate and it too was over cooked and dried out. Came with a few shrimp and yes you guessed it also over cooked. A tiny lump crab cake which wasnt to bad but wouldnt say it was all lump just a few lumps on top. And finally 2 and 1/2 scallops yes that right one was actually cut in half they were also over cooked but better then the rest. Now you would think there would be some lemon wedges on a broiled seafood platter wouldnt you but of course not one lemon could be found on the plate.Needless to say but I will anyway my wifes meal was TERRIBLE. Not sure who was doing the cooking during the week there wasnt the chef that got the good reviews maybe he only works weeknds. This place was a total waste of money. Oh I almost forgot the live jazz show. A bunch of nice kids playing some jazz but not what I expected imagine kids jamming in a basement. Not knocking them they did their best and made my TERRIBLE experience a little better. I talked to the kids outside as I left when they were on the break and told them they were the best thing about The Smithville Inn that night and I wasnt lying. Oh i almost forgot I was going to leave a tip for the TERRIBLE waitress but I admit not a very good one I was spending waaay to much already for the TERRIBLE food but The Smithville Inn was nice enough to include my tip in my bill. I understand doing that for large groups but for 2 people well maybe thats the only way they get a decent tip for the TERRIBLE food and service. Longest review I ever wrote but this place was TERRIBLE.

4  Thank michtort22